shape
carat
color
clarity

Can set stone be measured by an appraiser???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
I lost my appraisal of my e-ring and want to get another one just because I''m now curious as to the proportions of the diamond. Will they have to take it out of it''s setting to do this? My setting is fairly open - v shape 4 prongs.
thanks.
oh, and if they can''t do the proportions with it set should I allow them to take it out? Would they refuse to take it out? Is there a risk in having them take it out?
I need to have it reset anyway because one of the prongs is too long and it looks crooked, but that would be fixed by a jeweler, not an appraiser and I''d hate to have the diamond removed twice!!! Any advice?
5.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
With a combination of direct measurement and DiamCalc I am usually able to get a good profile of proportions without having to pull the diamond.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Hey Rich, shame you don't live near me - I'd have you fix the longer prong and appraise the diamond for me. My jeweler is also a gemologist and does appraisals, but I don't like his attitude and wouldn't trust him to do an accurate job.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We can pretty much do the same as Rich Sherwood, too. You ought to be able to find someone near to where you reside if you are in a metro area. Don't allow anyone to take out the diamond. It is not necessary.

Maybe I can suggest someone in your area....

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
I'm in the NY metro area - north of the city but I travel in when I need to. (Also have roots in Allentown, PA).
Thanks

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jane Chaikowsky is a good appraiser in the Allentown area. I also know Barry Block of Jewelry Judge in the NYC metro area. Also there is Robert Aretz or David Wolff both located on 5th Ave. In NYC. All good folks.

My father-in-law came from Slatington....So I know the area. I live near the PA Turnpike at route 309.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Isn't that just a few miles from Allentown? I grew up there and my folks still live there so I go often enough. Can I just look up Jane C. in the book? Would she also be able to level one of the prongs in the setting? You can email me privately if you have Jane C's info or any other info.
Why does Aretz sound so familiar?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think Aretz had a store in Scranton or up your way at one time. It was this man's father, however.

Jane can be reached at 610-332-2777.
Chaikowsky Appraisal Service. She is not a retailer, but an independent appraiser.

Slatington is north of Allentown and just below Palmerton.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results