shape
carat
color
clarity

Can rhodium plating be removed?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A jeweler rhodium plated my UNPLATED 18k white gold ring thinking that it has worn off and not knowing that it was unintentionally unplated!! He said he didn't know that i did not want it non rhodium plated. When i dropped it off, i said it was an unplated 18k white gold ring....i though thought it was understood that it was intentionally unplated...

I had originally brought my ring to him cuz the melee in the halo were loose after banging my ring while at work. When i picked it up, as i drove home, i stopped at a traffic light to look at it and 8 melee stones are loose!!

So, my question is: is there any way to reverse or remove the rhodium plating???? My husband is pretty upset over it.

Also, since melee stones are still loose, i am weary of the jeweller 's skills overall....

Would you go back to this jeweler to rectify both problems? Or pay again to bring it back to the original creator of the ring? The ring was designed and made in another country....

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the stuff of my nightmares :eek-2:;(

Unfortunately I’ve yet to hear of a chemical/electro-strip solution :(sad It is true that “it will wear off in time”, but as we all know different components of a ring are abraded at different rates - and some areas may not be subject to wear at all...

If this establishment had the piece in-house to tighten stones and they sent the ring out with several stones still loose, they are clearly not a conscientious and quality-driven outfit. I would certainly not return - other than to get your money back for a job poorly done. The rhodium is trickier... unless you explicitly told them not to plate, I can see pretty much any jeweller doing this as part of routine maintenance... I hope some tradespeople see this thread. @Karl_K may have thoughts on possible solutions?

Can you get specifics on alloy composition from the maker?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is the stuff of my nightmares :eek-2:;(

Unfortunately I’ve yet to hear of a chemical/electro-strip solution :(sad It is true that “it will wear off in time”, but as we all know different components of a ring are abraded at different rates - and some areas may not be subject to wear at all...

If this establishment had the piece in-house to tighten stones and they sent the ring out with several stones still loose, they are clearly not a conscientious and quality-driven outfit. I would certainly not return - other than to get your money back for a job poorly done. The rhodium is trickier... unless you explicitly told them not to plate, I can see pretty much any jeweller doing this as part of routine maintenance... I hope some tradespeople see this thread. @Karl_K may have thoughts on possible solutions?

Can you get specifics on alloy composition from the maker?

Yssie! My thoughts exactly! How skilled/observant can the jeweller be if they gave me the ring back with 8 stones loose??? But now that it was accidentally rhodium plated, I don't know if the creator of my ring would even touch it! I'll ask her which alloys the gold if composed of tho....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@fiona00004 ugh so sorry the jeweler did this. How careless.:nono: You can definitely get it off don't despair. But arghhh to melee being loose now too.;(

@Jimmianne's method and the thread @Octo2005 found for you seem the best/safest way to go though it might be a bit tedious or alternatively can't a jeweler use a buffing wheel to remove the rhodium plating more easily?

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-gold-plating-from-silver-jewelry/

• Some have found metal polishes, such as Brasso or Wright’s Silver Cream, effective in removing thin gold plating. Simply rub it over the gold with a soft cloth.
  • Depending on the jewelry, a professional jeweler may be able to simply buff off the gold plating
Some more info:
https://www.finishing.com/103/37.shtml

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! I am sending back to the original creator of my rong, she agreed to fix it..thanks Aby @ jewelryulove by aby on etsy!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results