shape
carat
color
clarity

Can prongs be shaved down on diamond studs??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Had a pair of diamond studs I decided to upgrade with my local jeweler. They were an extra pair. The studs I am upgrading to are gorgeous. The setting is a 4 prong basket style. I love the setting, but the prongs are a bit on the heavy side. Can they be shaved down a tad??? No pics, will get them once I make up my mind. They do have another setting where the prongs are less prominent, but the basket is inward if that makes sense. I don''t want the martini setting, as I already have that. Experts let me know your thoughts. TIA.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

In general, it’s more trouble than it’s worth to try to do such a major retrofit unless there is an emotional attachement to the particular settings but, for a pair of studs, you can probably simply replace the settings with completely new ones that better suit your fancy for less money. There are lots of fairly lightweight findings out there that can give your studs a very different look.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 10:16:56 PM
Author: denverappraiser

In general, it’s more trouble than it’s worth to try to do such a major retrofit unless there is an emotional attachement to the particular settings but, for a pair of studs, you can probably simply replace the settings with completely new ones that better suit your fancy for less money. There are lots of fairly lightweight findings out there that can give your studs a very different look.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Thanks Neil, I hear you. The setting is spot on, it''s the tips of the prongs that I don''t care for. So was thinking they could be refined??? Or yeah go for the lighter findings... But everything is perfect except the tips of the prongs. It''s PS that has made me so prong snobby, LOL!!
20.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh, I am going on my cousin''s site to see if the tulip setting is on there. If not I will show you mine.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 11:42:19 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Thanks Neil, I hear you. The setting is spot on, it''s the tips of the prongs that I don''t care for. So was thinking they could be refined??? Or yeah go for the lighter findings... But everything is perfect except the tips of the prongs. It''s PS that has made me so prong snobby, LOL!!
20.gif
LOL Kaleigh! Prong snobby!!! Too funny, I''m the same way now. I''ll point out to DH that I don''t like the prongs on a setting and he gets this look on his face like I am insane. Of all of the people I know (real life people, not PSers) I am the ony one that is a ''prong snob'' as you so perfectly coined it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 12:06:31 AM
Author: Miranda

Date: 4/15/2007 11:42:19 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
20.gif
LOL Kaleigh! Prong snobby!!! Too funny, I''m the same way now. I''ll point out to DH that I don''t like the prongs on a setting and he gets this look on his face like I am insane. Of all of the people I know (real life people, not PSers) I am the ony one that is a ''prong snob'' as you so perfectly coined it.
Thanks for understanding my PS ailement. Hehe. I am going tomorrow, to work it out.
36.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh.....

If just the prong tips are too large for you, I think a good jeweler can polish them to the thickness you wish.

I''d just suggest to be there while he does it, so he doesn''t remove too much material.. Step by step and have you look as the polishing goes forward, is probably a could way to do this.

Some might be able to shape them into heart shaped tips, or some other design if you wish.

Prong snob..... that''s funny!

Rockdoc

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Didn''t Mara have her''s shaved down on her e-ring? I am sure it is possible!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 1:05:51 AM
Author: RockDoc
Kaleigh.....

If just the prong tips are too large for you, I think a good jeweler can polish them to the thickness you wish.

I'd just suggest to be there while he does it, so he doesn't remove too much material.. Step by step and have you look as the polishing goes forward, is probably a could way to do this.

Some might be able to shape them into heart shaped tips, or some other design if you wish.

Prong snob..... that's funny!

Rockdoc
Thanks Rockdoc!!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results