shape
carat
color
clarity

Can men wear prong set rings?

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
I’m in the process of having a jeweller custom make this ring for me. I’m going to have it made with the same width right around and there will be no diamonds. The back will also be solid filled and not hollow.

The jeweller suggested that I go with a bezel set instead of a prong set to make the ring more masculine, however I really like the look of the prong set compared to the bezel for some reason.

Any thoughts on this?

05B3AD38-5D5D-49B8-A6D1-5417D6B73BCE.jpeg

904233B6-30A3-4873-BE17-0FEB5692B678.jpeg D9DDFFA4-BCA0-441E-B07A-82BCCCAAC7A0.jpeg 95DE163B-0192-4978-B5F3-C173AB85518A.jpeg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Prongs, especially finely filed claws do seem particularly feminine to me but I say screw it - Wear what you love & call it a day!

If it's too much & you do care about the perception of others (which I get, no judgement here!) Just know that I think daintier details will appear feminine for some reason & larger or more bulkier details more masculine.

It makes sense to me: wider band = more masculine, we see this in wedding rings. Thinner bands = more feminine. Larger tab prongs might look more masculine but a chunky bezel is probably the most masculine looking option.

Either way I hope you love your ring! Lovely stone, is it jade?

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
Prongs, especially finely filed claws do seem particularly feminine to me but I say screw it - Wear what you love & call it a day!

If it's too much & you do care about the perception of others (which I get, no judgement here!) Just know that I think daintier details will appear feminine for some reason & larger or more bulkier details more masculine.

It makes sense to me: wider band = more masculine, we see this in wedding rings. Thinner bands = more feminine. Larger tab prongs might look more masculine but a chunky bezel is probably the most masculine looking option.

Either way I hope you love your ring! Lovely stone, is it jade?

Thank you, I’ll think about it some more before having the ring made.

it is Jade I’ll actually be getting this one instead. The one in the middle here.
ACB3EED4-470B-47D2-BC45-B6D35F75B6FB.jpeg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
How about a talon prong style?

7166282_master.jpg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, I’ll think about it some more before having the ring made.

it is Jade I’ll actually be getting this one instead. The one in the middle here.
ACB3EED4-470B-47D2-BC45-B6D35F75B6FB.jpeg

Lovely! Whichever style you go with, I hope it encompasses your style & brings you great joy!

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
How about a talon prong style?

7166282_master.jpg

I actually really like this one too. I just feel like the bezel set hides more of the stone compared to the prong/talon set.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You go and get what ever you like the best
Make it your own by owning the look in the confidence that you wear it
i love jewlery of any kind of men
And these days what's feminine anyway ?
I see a lot of 'men's' rings i would lobe to wear

Did you see the American baseball player totally rocking the string of pearl ? (while on the ball park no less!)
Im a huge Bruce Springsteen fan, he wears a ton of rock & roll / western kind of jewlery, but today ANYTHING and everything goes !

and holy cow that jade is to totally die for !
Im gonna want your ring too !

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
You go and get what ever you like the best
Make it your own by owning the look in the confidence that you wear it
i love jewlery of any kind of men
And these days what's feminine anyway ?
I see a lot of 'men's' rings i would lobe to wear

Did you see the American baseball player totally rocking the string of pearl ? (while on the ball park no less!)
Im a huge Bruce Springsteen fan, he wears a ton of rock & roll / western kind of jewlery, but today ANYTHING and everything goes !

and holy cow that jade is to totally die for !
Im gonna want your ring too !

You’re absolutely right. I’ve noticed so many men recently wearing pearl jewellery in general. I’m going to go with the design I like an rock it with confidence. If the world doesn’t like it, too bad for them

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course Men can have rings with prongs!
eBay has plenty of lovely examples with gems set with prongs!
I think it’s more to do with smoothness, I guess men use their hands more often physically and with “less care” so setting gems flush or bezel is more protective.
And women wear signet rings and cabochon shape gems, these are considered “masculine” so I think it’s what you like that matters not what other people say.
I would go with “tab shape prongs” rather than pointy claw prongs, only because those claw prongs can catch on stuff. You do not want to lose your precious gem!

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely!

My 'go to' is bezels, full or half. But I'm happy to use prongs when the stone demands them. This often happens for bulgy cabs - I don't want to bury the bottom half of the stone. See the attached pic (half a trapiche emerald) - I certainly don't feel that this is insufficiently masculine. Also see my avatar.

I would be happy to wear the design in your post.

Trapiche.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's all about the design, claws/prongs can look good as part of a masculine design IMHO.

DK :))

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely!

My 'go to' is bezels, full or half. But I'm happy to use prongs when the stone demands them. This often happens for bulgy cabs - I don't want to bury the bottom half of the stone. See the attached pic (half a trapiche emerald) - I certainly don't feel that this is insufficiently masculine. Also see my avatar.

I would be happy to wear the design in your post.

Trapiche.jpg

Thanks for sharing, very nice ring.
I’ve decided I’ll go with the print design. I feel like it would be an injustice to pay for a nice cabochon just to hide most of it with a bezel setting.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I could be wrong...but I believe they've passed legislation preventing men from setting their stones in prongs:lol:

PS_ follow your heart

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I could be wrong...but I believe they've passed legislation preventing men from setting their stones in prongs:lol:

PS_ follow your heart

Oh goodness! Lol don't listen to him! :lol-2:

Enjoy your beautiful ring!

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

PS_ follow your heart

For once @Rockdiamond and I are in total agreement. I have both semi bezel and prong set rings. As you might expect, I have no dainty or needle point prongs, but if I wanted them, I would.

Grandpa Wink, who never wore bell bottoms, even when they were in stye.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For once @Rockdiamond and I are in total agreement.

I think we agree on far more than we disagree upon... old man:)

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
For once @Rockdiamond and I are in total agreement. I have both semi bezel and prong set rings. As you might expect, I have no dainty or needle point prongs, but if I wanted them, I would.

Grandpa Wink, who never wore bell bottoms, even when they were in stye.

Glad I posted here, great all around responses. Being someone who lets experiments with my sense of fashion confidently I don’t know what I was even thinking wondering if others would perceive it as not masculine. I’m going to have the ring designed in any way that looks pleasing in my eyes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results