shape
carat
color
clarity

Can LOGR Setting be modified?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I won and received the following LOGR setting. Quality is great and I am very happy. The question is that I want to bezel set a stone into this setting instead of the prongs. Can the prong head be removed and the stone be bezel set? Thoughts?

LOGR-1.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Another view..

LOGR-2.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Okay, that's a tough one. I do think it's possible for a jeweler to remove the head, but I don't think there's enough metal on the rim to do a bezel (and the metal is already milgrained). Also, your stone has to be the exact size as the opening. Sometimes a decent jeweler can thin out the bezel, but the measurements have to be pretty close. You know, LOGR has auctions for that same setting without the prong head - maybe they could do a trade?

See this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ROUND-6-5MM-PAVE-DIAMOND-14K-WHITE-GOLD-SEMI-MOUNT-RING_W0QQitemZ370207997239QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGemstone_Rings?hash=item56321dbd37&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

If you don't want your stone set in the peg head, you could have that removed, and have your jeweler attach prongs to the rim (or the inside of the rim, depending on the size of your stone). Your stone would still be prong set, and not bezel set, but it would be lower than the peg head. Hope that rambling made sense.

ETA: having said all that, Charmy, first take it to a trusted jeweler - maybe they can do a bezel if your stone's the right size.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
You know what .. I never really looked at the photo of the auction I won and have just been looking at my setting. Guess what? They didn''t even send me the right ring. The one they sent look exactly like the one you posted but with the prong head. here isn''t milgrain on the rim and it is thicker like the bezel version. The basket is also the same as the bezel one you sent and not the photo I posted on my auction. I have no problems with that since I don''t like basket on the ring I won and like the other better.

I am going to take it to a jeweler and see what they can do. The stone I want to put in it is the same as what is suppose to fit. We will see.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
If that''s the case, you''ve got a much better chance of being able to bezel set your stone - it''s for your 6.4mm spinel, right? I think it will look really nice in there. Hope it works out - keep us posted.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, he sells that mount with and without the prongs. It should be no problem to do that at all.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 6:45:14 PM
Author: cellentani
If that''s the case, you''ve got a much better chance of being able to bezel set your stone - it''s for your 6.4mm spinel, right? I think it will look really nice in there. Hope it works out - keep us posted.
I am putting a 6.5 mm green tourmaline from Barry in the setting. I have way too many stones and settings right now ... time to put them together. I just dropped off another setting with a tiny 5.5 mm vibrant pink spinel off today.

I am glad to hear that I should be able to bezel the stone in this setting. I really don''t like the huge prong head.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 10:18:35 PM
Author: CharmyPoo

Date: 5/30/2009 6:45:14 PM
I am putting a 6.5 mm green tourmaline from Barry in the setting. I have way too many stones and settings right now ... time to put them together. I just dropped off another setting with a tiny 5.5 mm vibrant pink spinel off today.

I am glad to hear that I should be able to bezel the stone in this setting. I really don''t like the huge prong head.
Yeah, sorry, I got that spinel mixed up with someone else. Hey, I wish I had too many stones and settings!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 10:48:02 PM

Yeah, sorry, I got that spinel mixed up with someone else. Hey, I wish I had too many stones and settings!!
I was thinking of that lavendar spinel :razz: Had it in my cart but decided to pass. Too many stones and settings = huge obsession and in need of help.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I dropped off this settting today and now I am feeling kinda silly that I didn''t take it to a cheaper jeweler that I am comfortable with. The ring cost me $112 + $30 sizing + $20 shipping. To remove the head and bezel the stone .. it is costing me $120. Make me wonder why I am paying more for setting the stone than I did for the actual semi mount. I hope it turns out wonderful and that I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results