shape
carat
color
clarity

Can jeweller tell the difference between lab-grown diamonds?

ooohdiamonds

Rough_Rock
I am looking to purchase a lab grown diamond as a 'second' e-ring.

however, i only will be purchasing the stone without the setting... I'd like to take the stone to a great jeweller in my area who custom makes amazing settings.

Will he tell that the diamond is lab-grown and not mined????? :???:

mattsaccount

Rough_Rock
Re: Can jeweller tell the difference between lab-grown diamo

1) Where do you plan to buy the diamond? Are you certain it is a diamond and not a simulant, e.g. cubic zirconia, moissanite, etc?

2) If you are certain it is a diamond, all major sources currently include a laser engraving marking the diamond as lab-created, as far as I know. This inscription is on the diamond's grirdle, is not visible with the naked eye, and has no impact on the diamond's appearance. However, this engraving is visible under magnification and will provide a straightforward way for the jeweler to identify it as lab-created.

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Matt has it right on. Most lab-created diamonds should have laser inscriptions, and it will also be disclosed on the grading report that comes with the diamond. Lab-created diamonds can be set with the same methods and techniques as mined diamonds, so from the jeweler's perspective, the diamond's origin isn't really relevant.

Most likely the jeweler will use a common diamond tester on it, just to make sure it is real. There are two common testers available: thermal and electrical. A thermal tester will distinguish between a diamond and cubic zirconia. An electrical conductivity tester will distinguish between (non-blue) diamond and moissanite. All untreated blue diamonds, mined and grown alike, are electrically conductive, so will give a false reading with an electrical conductivity tester.

Make sure what you are buying is a real lab-created diamond. If it is a large white, or less than $1000/carat, it is most likely a simulant/imitation.
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/synthetic-diamonds

ooohdiamonds

Rough_Rock

many, many thanks for your responses :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results