shape
carat
color
clarity

Can it be saved? I bent my ring :(

MoxiRoxi

Rough_Rock
A couple of weeks ago my DH and I were working in the yard. We were stacking rocks onto a wall... maybe you see where this is going already..
My hand slipped and I dropped the rock I was moving and smashed my left hand in between two rocks. I knew it was bad before I even took my glove off as I could feel my engagement ring pressed into my finger. I was able to quickly soap it up and get my engagement ring off before my finger started to swell. My remaining 2 wedding bands are still stuck on my finger.

We moved last year and I have been searching for a jeweler that does custom work nearby that I want to establish a relationship with. I may take this an as opportunity to do a reset. I am waiting to hear back from a couple goldsmiths, but wanted a quick opinion from this group... Can my ring be saved? I don't know if they can just bend it back and replace the couple diamonds that are missing on the shank and halo.

~ M ~

IMG_3397.jpg IMG_3381.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m no jeweler but I don’t think this will be simple. I would assume they need to rebuild the whole shank. Every prong around every melee has been compromised due to the curving of the whole shank. Trying to flatted it back out would force further shifting of the prongs. It’s a lucky thing your center stone isn’t damaged given you dropped a rock in your ring essentially. I would definitely have them thoroughly examine your center stone as well as all the stones in the halo setting as well. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, thin pave shanks or even thin plain shanks are very fragile, and as you have found out, should never be worn while working in the yard, doing dishes, housework, cooking, working out, etc. If the ring was custom made, you need to contact the ringmaker to see what they advise. If it was a stock setting, I’d contact the jeweler from whom you purchased it. My daughter was wearing a ring that went out of round and it was repaired. But she now only wears it on special occasions and not daily.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its at the least going to need a new shank.
Even if straitened its at the min going to have microfractures and be comprised.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh your poor finger! And that poor ring! I’m honestly kind of amazed it held on - you didn’t lose your stone, that’s the most important thing!!

OP, I wouldn’t try to repair this. There’s just no way to make this amount of damage disappear. Time for a replacement. Is it insured? I would definitely think this is a situation that your insurance would cover.

MoxiRoxi

Rough_Rock
All in all you guys confirmed my thoughts that it is likely not safe to just bend it back lol.

@yssie I am happy I had work gloves on! it could have been so much worse. I never thought about checking that. I have an insurance rider for my jewelry, I always just thought it was for theft! I'll have to see how that process works for repairs.

@diamondseeker2006 I am so rough on my hands too! this wasn't the best choice for shank width for me. I would rather have something more sturdy I can wear every day (with the exception of masonry :D ) It was a stock setting from James Allen, I don't think I would go through them for the repair, my experience with them was less than stellar.

~ M ~

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck with the repair/reshank
And the insurence company
It was indeed fortunate you didn't hurt your finger or hand

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, okay, you’re right that you couldn’t go through JA. Probably best to replace. I honestly wouldn’t claim it on insurance unless the center stone was cracked in addition to the setting damage. Once you’ve made a claim, your premiums might go up, or if you ever had to make another claim, they might drop you. I personally would only make an insurance claim if my whole ring (including the center stone) was damaged, lost, or stolen. A plain shank at 2mm or more will be more durable than a pave shank, usually. So sorry this happened!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Someone had a very similar thing happen (I think they slammed their hand in the car door or truck) and surprisingly they were able to repair it. I just can’t remember who it is but it may worth a thread search bc the even the damage looked similar to your ring!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spouse's e-ring saved her finger from getting smashed by a filing cabinet. Maybe it's good you were wearing it.

The worst cases, imo, are the really delicate, intricate galleries (like on Edwardian rings) and then it's a lost cause. Yours can be fixed (made to look like it was) with money -- and not a ton of it -- which is the definition of "not really a huge problem."

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@MoxiRoxi I found the thread!

MoxiRoxi

Rough_Rock
@MoxiRoxi I found the thread!

Thank you! You were right, it does look very similar!

@diamondseeker2006 - Agree on the insurance. I always considered that for total loss, not for something like this as it's a rider on my homeowners policy. Not an independent company.

Good news is, I was finally able to get my other two bands off last night! I'm hoping that will help the remaining swelling go down so that I can get everything back on without resizing it all.

I feel naked without my rings :(

Candice-

Rough_Rock
Hi! I just found your thread, I’m sorry that happened to your ring, but glad your hand was ok. Any updates on getting your ring fixed?

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My first thought on reading your thread was, wow, I wonder if she would have smashed her finger if she had not been wearing the rings?

I am glad to read through and see that not only were you able to have the ring repaired, but you had no permanent damage to your finger.

Congratulations.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Really sorry about what happened to the ring.
There’s a chance the ring could be improved. It might be very difficult to bring it back to its original condition though. The issue I see is that the pressure that would be exerted to try to correct the bending might break off the band or another part of the ring….

Good luck

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results