shape
carat
color
clarity

can I set cushion cut into a round setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snuapril01

Rough_Rock
hi, I am very much into making my first paraiba tourmaline ring.
the stone is soft cushion cut that has same width and length and I ended up finding one vintage style designed ring I like for the setting but is originally built for a round center stone. it has 4 basic looking prongs and i was wondering if I could set cushion cut stone in to this mounting.
has anyone done something like this before?
33.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure some of the members atempted it (not sure about the outcome), but I''m also pretty sure the only person who can really answer your question is a jeweller, after examining both the stone and the setting first-hand. In theory it sounds doable. Hope you get your dream ring!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If the cushion has sharp corners and the prongs are wide enough, then you might be able to use that setting...with care. If the corners of the stone are rounded, then you will need two prongs at each corner or some other structure in order to keep the stone from twisting and falling out. Wide prongs, like modified chevron prongs or even fishtail styles will work as well. Sometimes it''s possible to modify an existing setting to create double prong corners or add a different type of head to hold the stone. Paraiba tourmalines can have inclusions which make it more important to get the prongs right or you risk chipping the stone during setting or wear. Do you have a picture of the setting ? If you are buying it from a jeweler who you can talk to, I would recommend asking them if they can modify the prongs to make this work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results