shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I see your peridots?

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Can I see them? And how have you found them to hold up to frequent wear?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made a bezeled peridot ring for my mother but she doesn't wear it often. It probably looks pristine because it is not worn often.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Kitten35!
Durability in gemstones.... can be a touchy topic as we all want to wear our gemstone jewelry! But some gems should not be worn daily. Here's a post from 2012 (yeah, I know - long time ago, but not much has changed) that could be helpful.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the replies!

If they were bezeled as sidestones, would that help their durability?

Last edited:

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Kitten35 - any level of metal protection on the circumference of the gem will be beneficial. That being said, if the crown (the top) of the Peridot is well above the metal, there will be opportunity for contact with items or materials that could cause an abrasion, which is normally most noticeable at the facet junctions. Hope you find this helpful.

Jadeite_101

Shiny_Rock
I find that Peridot holds up well considering that you take some care when wearing and storing it when not in use. Personally just avoid contact with other gemstones namely diamonds. It can easily scratch Peridot. So never stack them and store your jewelry properly to avoid then rubbing on each other. Also avoid sudden blows as it’ll nick.
431F91DE-9869-4131-926E-4442B9BEB596.jpeg 9514411F-A6AB-4419-AD57-D33C5EC50F49.jpeg

Here’s a care guide by the GIA:

In addition Renee Newman says to avoid ultrasonic cleaners, steamers, acids and abrupt temperature changes.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Those are such pretty stones!

If you had a choice of peridots, green tsavs, or green tourmalime for the sodes, which is the best choice?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In terms of durability? None are daily wear ring stones. There is also distinct colouration differences. Peridot tends towards some yellow, tourmaline and green garnet can go either way (a bit of yellow, straight green or blue green). Peridot will be the least expensive but also softest. Tourmaline can be "chippy".

If they are small, they might hold up better to wear and tear. If they do get damaged and you plan to switch out the stones, I would opt for prongs as it is difficult to replace bezeled stones. What mm size are you considering?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some gorgeous peridot earrings...not mine sadly.

peridotdiamondparkplaceeearrings.jpg

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
In terms of durability? None are daily wear ring stones. There is also distinct colouration differences. Peridot tends towards some yellow, tourmaline and green garnet can go either way (a bit of yellow, straight green or blue green). Peridot will be the least expensive but also softest. Tourmaline can be "chippy".

If they are small, they might hold up better to wear and tear. If they do get damaged and you plan to switch out the stones, I would opt for prongs as it is difficult to replace bezeled stones. What mm size are you considering?

@chrono: they would be 3 mm and bezeled. They would be sides for an amethyst/spinel (the purple one I posted on here before, probably in trellis setting). Are there any green stones that would be frequent wear stones? Emeralds aren’t either are they? Can chrysoberyl be green? Chrysoprase? I would not wear this everyday, and I do take my rings off for strenuous things (even my plain gold wedding band—that is why I have a silicone one for things like yoga, hiking etc) but dont want to have to baby it like I have to do with my sunstone either. I want to be able to wear it somewhat frequently.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amethyst (quartz) isn't a daily wear ring stone either, but spinel is. Chrysoberyl can be green and can be worn daily. Peridot would fall very close to the MOH of sunstone. Tourmaline and garnet are slightly better but not by much.

Given that it isn't an everyday ring stone, the smaller 3 mm size and that they will be bezeled, pick the stones of your choice and don't scrutinize the stones too closely for wear and tear. :shhh:

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Amethyst (quartz) isn't a daily wear ring stone either, but spinel is. Chrysoberyl can be green and can be worn daily. Peridot would fall very close to the MOH of sunstone. Tourmaline and garnet are slightly better but not by much.

Given that it isn't an everyday ring stone, the smaller 3 mm size and that they will be bezeled, pick the stones of your choice and don't scrutinize the stones too closely for wear and tear. :shhh:

Thanks Chrono. I really like the peridot color but am afraid it will start looking bad. I have a pair of moonstone earrings and I have not been too happy with how they have worn. And I rarely wear them. I have another amethyst, and it has held up ok, but it is bezeled.

Maybe, I could go with a chrysoberyl or green sapphires? I am not hard on my jewelry—as I said I even take off my wedding band to do dishes etc—and my “travel” and even oftentimes work ring is a silicone band (I am a teacher so i use my hands all day and dont wear nice rings to work for a multitude of reasons) but I don’t want it to be just for dress up either. I love the look of peridots because of their soft bright green but maybe I will see if he can find green-ish chrysoberyls insted. I do want green as it has a symbolic meaning to me in the context of this ring.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my antique peridot and pearl pin. It was a gift from a close family friend who was an antique dealer and he left it to me in his will. My first memory of any person dying. So sad. He died from HIV related illness before all the meds came into existence that could have saved him. :cry2:

This pin is special to me because he thought of me and wanted me to have it. Peridot is my birthstone.

antiqueperidotpin.jpg

antiqueperidotpinandtommy.jpg

antiqueperidotpinandtommytoo.jpg

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Oh those are very pretty. Sorry for your loss missy. I love your cat too very cute.

I am so tempted to get them and then just take extra special care of the ring.

But I also want to be happy with it over time, as it is going to be a sort of memory ring for someone who died. I would have no qualms putting it into a necklace or pin but still unsure about a ring. The setting is here. https://www.etsy.com/listing/106630954/split-shank-trellis-ring?ref=shop_home_active_68&frs=1

It does look like they would be fairly protected and that the top of the peridots would not be flush with the bezel but I am nervous. How does it compare to opal? I have an opal ring that has held up well but I am careful with it. I also like the idea of tsavs but it sounds like those won't be much more durable.

I like the look of these two colors together. Fwiw—those may be peridot, it was a necklace also from my grandma, but dont know what the stones are.

Attachments

• 55A9217E-77BD-4B97-A0A0-3BD669767654.jpeg
    55A9217E-77BD-4B97-A0A0-3BD669767654.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh those are very pretty. Sorry for your loss missy. I love your cat too very cute.

I am so tempted to get them and then just take extra special care of the ring.

But I also want to be happy with it over time, as it is going to be a sort of memory ring for someone who died. I would have no qualms putting it into a necklace or pin but still unsure about a ring. The setting is here. https://www.etsy.com/listing/106630954/split-shank-trellis-ring?ref=shop_home_active_68&frs=1

It does look like they would be fairly protected and that the top of the peridots would not be flush with the bezel but I am nervous. How does it compare to opal? I have an opal ring that has held up well but I am careful with it. I also like the idea of tsavs but it sounds like those won't be much more durable.

I like the look of these two colors together. Fwiw—those may be peridot, it was a necklace also from my grandma, but dont know what the stones are.

what did you end up doing @Kitten35

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, stones with yellow or grey modifiers don't do well with my skintone. I do have this one peridot. It is so sparkly that the yellow, while clear in photos, is not apparent in most lights. Unfortunately, I've never worn it (as I reach for my blue-green stones) so can't speak to durability.
20220707_113446.jpg 20220707_113301.jpg

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
My mom had a family ring that she wore all the time (including dish washing! Eep!) because she wasn't aware or told that she needed to NOT be hard on her jewelry. The stones were a sapphire, pink tourmaline, emerald, and peridot. Everything except the sapphire has suffered surface damage, scuffs, chipping, and the emerald is the worst off as it has now cracked through the middle.

I wish I had a picture handy. I took a picture of it a while ago side by side with the matching pendant to show how substantial the changes were. The pendant was made later, but she also wore it every day and never took it off. The necklace had far less damage to the surfaces of the stones but still had some loss of lustre on the emerald especially.

Unsurprisingly, the only one that survived unscathed was the sapphire.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
the white saphires need a clean and the lighting isnt great in the lounge

i don't wear these together
the index finger ring has been worn than any other ring i own because i wear it to remind myself not to touch my face during a global pandemic but i hardly ever go out much

the other ring was a trade me (nz ebay) buy, i only just got it sized to fit

20220714_234634.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results