shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I save money if I buy a "conflict" diamond?

joelj

Rough_Rock
Just starting the search and diamond prices seem much higher than they were 7-10 years ago. I see all this talk about "conflict free" diamonds. If I'm willing to buy a "conflict" diamond, can I save money? Where would I find them and how much cheaper are they?

I'm just looking for facts and don't intend this to be a political discussion. If you don't agree I respect that but don't need to hear why. It's not my business what african warlords choose to do with their resources.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Diamond prices are constantly fluctuating and yes, prices are higher now than a decade ago. That said, the posters here are wonderful about working to find great pieces within budget. I've seen people find amazing rings for less than $500! I think you'll get far more help if you post your budget and let people help suggest options rather than seek out a conflict diamond (which I think you'd be hard pressed to find, anyway).

hawk25

Shiny_Rock
I'd be very surprised if you were able to specifically find a conflict diamond. Besides the fact that there's no way to verify it's a conflict diamond (and the seller would be absolutely insane to label it as such), countries like the US have a blanket law against them so it's illegal to import them without proper paperwork certifying them as conflict free. Therefore strictly theoretically speaking, every diamond sold in the US is a conflict free diamond, and it would be illegal to sell them.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think you're easily going to find a seller of conflict diamonds. Not starting a political discussion, but most vendors pride themselves on selling conflict-free stones and they sell them at a great price.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a remarkably stupid question.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The short answer is no.

You would be hard pressed to find one if you tried but the place to look would be shopping in a non-compliant country. That means Cuba, North Korea, Iran. You're out of luck in the US, Canada, anywhere in Europe, most of Asia, and even most of Africa and South America. Chances are good that people who are selling slave products, which is what 'conflict diamonds' are about, aren't going to tell you about it and then give you a discount. I wouldn't count such a seller as a very reliable source of provenance anyway. We know they're criminals, it's not such a giant leap to suggest that they're liars too.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Brilliant answer Denverappraiser.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Pollard|1392764778|3618074 said:
Polished|1392762164|3618050 said:
Brilliant answer Denverappraiser.

+1

You might look into MMDs?
https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/laboratory-grown-diamonds-man-made-diamonds-mmd.60/

My thought too. Crazy to want to buy a conflict diamond even if they were cheaper. Wrong on so many levels that I have to agree with Circe about the OP's level of reasoning. However a much better alternative on a limited budget would be something in the preloved section or an MMD.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're trying to save money, it's best just to buy a secondhand diamond. Don't make this more complicated than it needs to be.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
distracts|1392765012|3618078 said:
If you're trying to save money, it's best just to buy a secondhand diamond. Don't make this more complicated than it needs to be.
And if it came from a divorce, it's kind of a conflict diamond.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Contrary to popular opinion, colorless MMD's aren't actually much cheaper than comparable mined stones, if any. People buy them for other reasons, like 'cause they're cool.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You could ask Jacob the Jeweler...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you are planning to fly to African and risk getting raped and/or shot then I seriously doubt you could buy a conflict diamond. It is illegal to import diamonds into most (we are talking nearly all) countries without proper paperwork, so if you manage to get out of Africa safely then you run the risk of the diamond being seized by customs anyway. The only places in Africa that sell diamonds without paperwork mean they also sell them uncertified so you will not know what you are actually getting in quality unless you are a qualified diamond grader (and if you are then you should in theory know better than to try and buy an illegal diamond anyway).

Most of the diamonds on ebay are not conflict diamonds but there are still some bargains to be had there if you know what you are doing. You might be better researching cut, colour and clarity to understand what you are buying and then start looking. There really are no "bargains" when you purchase a diamond. And any person on ebay or any other sites that is selling you a specific conflict diamond or a uber cheap diamond should raise alarm bells, more than likely a Nigerian scammer or ring of scammers (no pun intended) that will happily take your money.

Post what you are looking for and your budget there are brilliant people on here who will find you the best cuts and others that are ebay gurus that will find you the best bargains.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
denverappraiser|1392761994|3618047 said:
The short answer is no.

You would be hard pressed to find one if you tried but the place to look would be shopping in a non-compliant country. That means Cuba, North Korea, Iran. You're out of luck in the US, Canada, anywhere in Europe, most of Asia, and even most of Africa and South America. Chances are good that people who are selling slave products, which is what 'conflict diamonds' are about, aren't going to tell you about it and then give you a discount. I wouldn't count such a seller as a very reliable source of provenance anyway. We know they're criminals, it's not such a giant leap to suggest that they're liars too.

I'll +1 the brilliant answer.

While it is a bit of a questionable question, I did find the answer intriguing. Thanks Denver!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
John Pollard|1392765961|3618089 said:
Ditto!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think such a question even deserves an answer.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Pollard|1392765961|3618089 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thank you, Mr. Pollard.

krisjon

Shiny_Rock
MissGotRocks|1392768633|3618137 said:
I don't think such a question even deserves an answer.

Agreed. Don't feed the trolls. This is a post to stir up discussion and get attention, not shop for a quality stone or learn.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o :-o :-o

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1392761729|3618042 said:
What a remarkably stupid question.

So glad someone said that.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uh this has to be a troll. Seriously.

Though I love how John P responded.

joelj

Rough_Rock
So the conflict free thing is a little different than organic or fair trade or any of the other dumb stamps the libs put on things. Ok, I though there was a premium being paid for conflict free but I guess it's more like buying ivory or some exotic wood. Thanks for the replies.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
joelj|1392778325|3618294 said:
So the conflict free thing is a little different than organic or fair trade or any of the other dumb stamps the libs put on things. Ok, I though there was a premium being paid for conflict free but I guess it's more like buying ivory or some exotic wood. Thanks for the replies.

Yes buying an uncertified diamond you suspect to be a blood or conflict diamond, if you live in an Western country is a no-no & I am not sure why you would want one..... Post the stats of the size and your budget in another email and people will find you things. Then if you find other diamonds yourself you can compare apples to apples. Stay away from EGL International graded stones even though they are cheaper they are not graded to the same strict standards GIA diamonds are.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am probably alone here but I can see this being a legit question for someone who is starting their research. Companies often advertise "conflict free" diamonds like it is something special or they have taken extra special steps to make sure of this. Some places advertise it like it "super ideal" cut diamonds ...

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
joelj|1392759669|3618022 said:
Just starting the search and diamond prices seem much higher than they were 7-10 years ago. I see all this talk about "conflict free" diamonds. If I'm willing to buy a "conflict" diamond, can I save money? Where would I find them and how much cheaper are they?

I'm just looking for facts and don't intend this to be a political discussion. If you don't agree I respect that but don't need to hear why. It's not my business what african warlords choose to do with their resources.

Haven't read this thread, not going to, the topic makes me queasy.

There are severe penalties at the wholesale and cutter levels for vendors caught selling these diamonds, they are not going to be clearly identified for you to choose from. The whole purpose for the scum who sell them is to buy them cheap and sell them at full markups, not to advertise that they are scum.

I have to think that you are just asking such a stupid question to piss us off. With me at least, you have succeeded. I need to go give my brain a bath now. Bad luck to you in your quest.

Wink

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
CharmyPoo|1392778978|3618302 said:
I am probably alone here but I can see this being a legit question for someone who is starting their research. Companies often advertise "conflict free" diamonds like it is something special or they have taken extra special steps to make sure of this. Some places advertise it like it "super ideal" cut diamonds ...
Actually I'm with Charmy here. Dealers advertise 'conflict free' rather heavily and it's an entirely appropriate question to wonder both what that means and what it costs.

In super short answer, mostly what sellers mean by conflict-free is that the rough diamonds were reportedly handled in compliance with a thing called the Kimberley Process. This is a gigantic international treaty that's been signed by nearly everybody and KP compliance has been legally required for importers and exporters for a bit over a decade. The list of signatories includes every single diamond producing country in the world so the 'conflict' channel, by definition, is a criminal activity. As mentioned above, even if you're ok doing business with criminals, the jewelers you're shopping with probably aren't so now we're talking about dealing with deliberate criminal jewelers. Hey buddy, wanna buya diamond? This is a path that's full of trouble for a lot of reasons, including but not limited to the conflict diamond issue.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Ladies and gentlemen, if you can't say anything nice don't say anything please. Users wonder why new members don't want to post on this forum and many of the posts in this thread are the reason. You can express your concern for the type of question without attacking a new user.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
joelj|1392759669|3618022 said:

Even if you located a bona fide "conflict diamond," those vendors aren't stupid and they'd probably try to get the going market rate for it. Why would they be willing to substantially discount it?
1. Those sellers don't want to disclose the source. 2. Anyone who has a decent diamond wants to get as much money as possible for it nowadays. 3. They can always sell it someplace. China is a huge and growing market, and I don't think China has as much interest in whether or not diamonds are conflict free, although I could be wrong. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results