shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I REPLATE Gold Vermeil?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
My grandmother got married in a fabulous wedding set: aquamarine drop earrings and a fabulous necklace with aquamarines. Unfortunately, the whole set is gold plate over silver. Maybe the thinking is that it only had to look good for the one day? If anyone is wondering, aquamarine looks fabulous in yellow gold. . .

Over the years, even without any use, the gold has worn about halfway off. It looks pretty sad, very "Grey Gables". Can I get this replated somehow?

I suspect all the aquamarines will need to be removed and reset. The workmanship is fabulous, very old world looking, princess-wear for sure.

Barring replating, can we get the old gold removed? So I end up with a sterling set?

If it can be done, who can do this? And about how much do we think it will be? How durable will it be?

I suspect there is another section besides "colored stones" that would be better for this, but I hate to wander off my "home" forum . . .

BTW: the European church where they got married had a "loaner" tiara that all the brides used. It made for some very regal wedding pics!

#########

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Replating does not require the gemstones to be removed. I think it is doable to replate gold over silver but I am not familiar with that, only replating of gold and platinum. As for the removal, that is also possible but somewhat unusual. I don’t know if any jeweller will be able to do that though. I doubt the cost for either the replating or removal will be exhorbitant; probably around $30 to $50 thereabouts depending on your location. It should not affect the durability.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results