shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I pls get your thoughts on my new ring?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It seems somewhat chunky to me around the tips of the pears. I'm also not sure that the claws are set at completely even angles, tho this might be camera angle. I've looked at the video on the VC website of both the 4 claw and 6 claw Trilogy settings, and both rings seem to have far less metal around the tips of the pears than mine does. Do you agree with this, or am I just looking at it incorrectly?

Thanks in advance for your help!

ks.jpg

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'll start with saying your ring is beautiful. I love this style of ring - one of my favourites :) I was tossing up whether to get side pears or tapered baguettes for my ring. Just beautiful.
To my eye the southeast prong is a little bit off and facing a bit more downward than it should be. I agree that the v tips around the pears could be thinner and finer too.
I would recommend getting this fixed up now if it's bothering you. I had a few things I wasn't 100% happy with my ring and thought I could live with it - pretty minor microscopic stuff. It bugged me for weeks. I eventually took it back to have it tweaked and I'm so much happier with it :) you deserve to have something you're 100% happy with looking down at, not something that's nearly right but not quite

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I think it looks gorgeous. Those claws are to die for.
I looked at the orchid 6 prong and the four prong videos, and I see what you are talking about. The groove setting for the pear tips sort of sticks up more rigidly rather than appearing softer and kind of bubbling over the tip like in your photo.
Maybe it has to do with how those particular pear tips are shaped? In any case, I kind of like the softer look in your photo. It seems like it would be less prone to getting caught on something.

Last edited:

Shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
mrs. b, I see what you mean about it being round/ mound like near the tips of the pears. I would like it more rigid/angular looking myself.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
I totally agree with ratatat though. If it bugs you, you should ask to have it fixed sooner than later.
You might approach this by asking VC if the tips are shaped differently for a particular reason, just in case this has to do with the unique nature of the pears selected for your setting.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on only this picture, I would have the same concerns as you. Hopefully it's just the picture!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely don't think that picture is enough to be sure. I'd wait and see more pics and a video before drawing conclusions. The proportions of the stones look great! I hope the other visuals will put your mind at ease! Victor has made many of these, I'm sure, so I would think it wouldn't be a problem.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It seems somewhat chunky to me around the tips of the pears. I'm also not sure that the claws are set at completely even angles, tho this might be camera angle. I've looked at the video on the VC website of both the 4 claw and 6 claw Trilogy settings, and both rings seem to have far less metal around the tips of the pears than mine does. Do you agree with this, or am I just looking at it incorrectly?

Thanks in advance for your help!

ks.jpg

@mrs-b
I love your new ring!! VC does amazing work. The v corners of the pears do not rest flat, and are set higher, but I believe that is to protect the ends of the diamonds. I actually LIKE that better. That feature adds an extra characteristic to the band that gives it more character to me*. I love the claw prongs, and from that angle, I do not believe any are off center or turned. However, I agree with @diamondseeker2006: more photos and a video would be helpful in order to confirm your satisfaction/dissatisfaction with the final product. If you simply are not satisfied, VC will want to make adjustments (if possible) to give you 100% customer satisfaction.
All in all...simply beautiful!!! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely don't think that picture is enough to be sure. I'd wait and see more pics and a video before drawing conclusions. The proportions of the stones look great! I hope the other visuals will put your mind at ease! Victor has made many of these, I'm sure, so I would think it wouldn't be a problem.

Yes I agree with diamondseeker2006 completely. One photo isn't enough to be able to properly evaluate the ring. All I can tell from the photo is that it has the potential to be a masterpiece and a gorgeous one at that. It looks to be very graceful, very fluid and with pleasing proportions. And if there are any issues I know Victor will make it perfect for you. It is going to be an amazingly beautiful ring mrs-b.:love:

Sending you good luck PS dust for dream ring perfection.:appl:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot tell if the prong shift is a matter of macro photography.

The shank's build-up toward the pears is a little heavier than the AOP stereotype of this setting carved in my mind ( ... all form as obviously fit to function as some botanical detail ! - etc. ) - which difference I am ready to blame on any number of slight changes of proportions and subtle design tradeoffs about the band's profile, thickness & ring size, with the center diamond's height over finger & the size & angle of the sides ... I'd guess that all of these eventually have something to do with the shape of those two small mounds of platinum which might not have been considered a big deal for good reason.

Can you call in the ring to inspect in person ? It seems more important to feel than to see the above-mentioned details.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ratatat @LawmaLlama @valeria101 @diamondseeker2006 @nala @missy @Shopaholic @Matthews1127 -

Thanks all for your feedback and thoughts.

I totally agree that I need more than one photo. But I also want any changes that need to be made done before they ship me the ring. So I'm trying to make sure it's exactly what I want from the get-go. I completely understand that angle is everything and that macro photos can be a poor reflection of how a ring will look in real life - but - even allowing for all of that - I'm concerned that the metal around the tip it a bit thicker than normal. Various benches do different things, so there's generally tiny differences between rings - even ones that come from the same designer/jeweler.

All that to say, I'll ask for a video and see how it looks at that point. I'll put the video up here when I receive it.

EC8

Shiny_Rock
What a gorgeous ring mrs-b!!
From the photo you have shared it appears that the outer edge of the pear prongs follow the "D" shaped profile of the shank vs. matching the "V" shaped inside profile of the prongs.

Vanilla Bling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it it's beautiful :love:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you're saying, for both things. I'm glad you're getting a video as that will hopefully give a more balanced view of the angles and proportions. With Victor being renowned for his attention to detail and gift with proportions I'm thinking that everything will be okay as is, but it might also be a matter of preference (for the shaping of the metal around the pear tips).

On a separate note, I can't believe how quickly he was able to complete your ring! So impressive!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the pic it looks like there is too much metal at the tips of the pears. Seeing it in person will confirm that for you. As for the setting of the claw prongs I admit I really can’t tell. I kinda suck at gauging that unless its really obvious. Yeah, just tell Victor. He’ll fix it. He will want you to be happy. Oh I see. You want to see it in video. Can I suggest that you tell Victor your concern first so if possible he will take extra pics and video close up so you can see more easily since you want to make this determination without seeing it in person.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsB it's so beautiful.. I love the pears. I too believe you need to see a few more pix. Your taste is exquisite.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring!!! Gorgeous stones and setting. The metal at the pear tips seems a bit more prominent compared to his usual look. Personally I love the look although based on this single pic it's hard to determine what it will look like in real life.

I would ask Victor for more pics as well as the video he will create for you.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you are talking about but would like to see a video too to see if you get the same impression when viewing from different angles. Were you able to ask Victor about it?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Acinom :)

Hi @MissGotRocks :) I sent an email, heard back from him, and responded. I think he's going to send me a video, a couple of photos, or both. I'll post them here when they arrive.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nonetheless, the ring looks beautiful!!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Your ring is gorgeous, and I think it might actually be the angle at which you are seeing the piece at that is making the sides like that. Ask for a side view picture. :wavey:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful beautiful ring!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No video - but I was sent a profile shot. You can see in the profile photo that the metal does indeed proceed some distance beyond the point of the pears before angling down towards the shank - there's a kind of bump-out after the pears which I'd like slimmed down / removed as far as is possible. When you look at the ring from above, you'd definitely see center diamond, then either side of that - pears, then either side of that - blob of metal. I don't want that actual extension.

Would love to hear from anyone with an opinion on this. Thank you!

ks2.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor as of late, in my opinion, has been producing rings that seem "chunkier" than some of his old designs. And different than other designers out there. However. This looks. Beautiful and looks like it was made by Tiffany. Now it's a matter if you like that look or not.

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to say that I love how low set the diamond is :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that ring is so beautiful. The flow on it just feels right.

I do see what you mean about the tips of the pears. I compared it with some other pictures, and I think it is a little chunkier than some other versions. But from the pictures and videos I can see, I am not sure. Do you have a very clear picture of what you want that you can show Victor and that clearly shows the difference that he can see too?

Here is the pear with the three stone. I think the tip is a little more distinctive. I can clearly see the outline of the V of the metal. The way he made yours is more rounded. This makes my eye focus more on the stones, the three stones, which seem suspended between the metal sides. Is this what you prefer?
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-round-and-pear-three-stone-ring.200124/

When I look at this video, in some angles it looks like yours and some not as much. Hard to see in the video.
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/emerald-trilogy-with-bullet-side-stones

Is this closer to what you want?
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/asscher-trilogy-with-bullet-side-stones-and-filigree

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you're saying. I've been trying to envision how it could be done differently while still protecting the tips of the pears and am struggling; what about tapering in the little notches surrounding the tips of the pears, kind of like an inverted V? That would sharpen the surrounding of the tips (removing the bulbous look you don't fancy) and streamline the profile a bit. I tried to mock up what I'm talking about in the photos; I only modified the left sides so that it would be easier to compare.

That being said, I think it's beautiful as is but also think it would look great a little "sleeker".
IMG_4054.JPG

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Comparing your ring to the Orchid with pears, your ring's shoulders are coming up basically in a straight line/angle whereas the shoulders on the Orchid have a curve/swoop to them (see 4th picture on website).
I think the curve makes the metal visually less bulky when viewing head on (and might allow for more gracefully transitioning the profile to a "v"?)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you're saying. I've been trying to envision how it could be done differently while still protecting the tips of the pears and am struggling; what about tapering in the little notches surrounding the tips of the pears, kind of like an inverted V? That would sharpen the surrounding of the tips (removing the bulbous look you don't fancy) and streamline the profile a bit. I tried to mock up what I'm talking about in the photos; I only modified the left sides so that it would be easier to compare.

That being said, I think it's beautiful as is but also think it would look great a little "sleeker".
IMG_4054.JPG

Ohhh, you are the BOMB, @ILikeShiny !! Thank you so much for your help - I'm sending this off to Victor!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results