shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I have my prongs changed?

EverlyBlue

Rough_Rock
I've never been incredibly happy with the prongs on my engagement ring. They're bulky and have always been a bit off. I'd love to switch them out for single claw prongs but I'm not sure if that's possible with the head of my ring.

I've attached a few pictures of my ring so we can see what I'm talking about. I'd appreciate any advice anyone is kind enough to give.

Thank you! : :)

(sorry for the giant pics, I'm still not great at posting them yet.)

unnamed-1_5.jpg unnamed_58.jpg

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nobody's answered, but I am going to hazard a guess that a skilled bench jeweler could file them down into claws and retip them as-required. Brian Gavin's people "clawed" the prongs on my ring that has a Stuller Octet head, and it was a remarkable transformation. Not all jewelers are good at making claws, though.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
its very much possible, I have had it done twice. You just need a good bench jeweler, or someone who can refer you to one. It may not be as delicate as if it was meant to be that way from the beginning, but it can still make a big difference as AdaBeta said. Good luck!

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
At worst they might have to replace the head but any competent bench jeweler should be able to do it.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had my prongs filed down from square prongs to something a little closer to claws. I wouldnt say they are perfect now, but a lot better than before. It's truly worth trying. Your prongs are a lot smaller than mine were so maybe that is an issue in making them different without changing the head completely... I'm a novice here though. :wavey:

EverlyBlue

Rough_Rock
I'm not opposed to putting a new head if it'll get me the prongs that I want. =) I'll go talk to my jeweler soon and see what he can do.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind thicker prongs are stronger, therefore safer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results