shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get your thoughts on this setting? First time E-ring

Frodo

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm looking to get my GF a LOTR(Yes, she is a megafan and wants something that could be from Middle Earth)/vintage/filigree setting. She's used the terms: Lord of The Rings, vines, vintage....

This is my favorite setting I have come across so far, and it's on sale till May 1st (not sure of James Allen has better sales than this, but I have until September to buy).

My budget for the ring is 5k. I was thinking 1k setting/4k stone.

I'd love your thoughts on this setting.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/vintage/14k-white-gold-diamond-filigree-engagement-ring-item-52620

Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Can I get your thoughts on this setting? First time E-ri

Well it certainly is a unique ring...sounds like maybe what your GF is wanting is somewhat unique. I clearly dont know what LOTR
ring is because when I googled it it came up with the band and the funky writing on it. I think I get the gist of what she means
though.

Greenlake Jewlery would be the place I think makes these kind of settings...unfortunatly, they are somewhat expensive and wont
fit in your budget but may be fun to look at.
http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery.aspx?p=1&fil2=mtg&fil3=a

This is another one that JA has that is somewhat organic/viney looking...look at the wedding band too. I wish they had a picture
of the the ring and band together.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/side-stones/14k-white-gold-wispy-nature-diamond-engagement-ring-item-50668

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think you should have a look at Megan Thorne.

http://meganthorne.com/

She does lots of ethereal looking designs and she will definitely be in your price range, though you might end up with a slightly different split between stone and setting. You can even pick your own stone to send to her if you prefer to go that route, but she is excellent at scouting some unusual and special things.

Specifically, I think the wood nympth might be perfect. Looks straight out of the Shire to me.

rose-gold-engagement-rings-megan-thorne-wood-nymph.jpg

(doesn't have to be east/west set, but you get the idea)

I have worked with her before (she is local to me) and her whole team is amazing.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Frodo, love your name. I'm a huge LOTR fan too, and the design you chose is perfect especially for the price. The vine work is lovely. I can totally see Arwen wearing something like that. GO FOR IT!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

She i think nymph like etherial I think Cathy Waterman. Expensive though. Let me think on this.

The setting you choose is lovely if you wanted to spend most of your money on the diamond. I do feel, however, based on the little bit you've described, she may want her money spent on the setting, not the diamond.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

She definitely wants a diamond?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ignoring what the center stone is, this is what I think when I think LOTR arwen theme.

If I was to have someone replicate a ring like that, I'd use seven fingers.

http://www.sevenfingers.com/rings.html

Get a quote, subtract that from the budget, and then we'll see what we could find. Frankly part of me wants to say consider a colored stone or a cats eye, but you'll probably say she wants a diamond.

picsart_04-28-01.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel,
I really like the setting you posted.

LOTR runs the gamut of beings from Halflings to Dwarves to Elves, but I presume you meant the Elven folk so leaves, vines and all that organic earthy elements? :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

leukolenos|1461854450|4024602 said:
I think you should have a look at Megan Thorne.

http://meganthorne.com/

She does lots of ethereal looking designs and she will definitely be in your price range, though you might end up with a slightly different split between stone and setting. You can even pick your own stone to send to her if you prefer to go that route, but she is excellent at scouting some unusual and special things.

Specifically, I think the wood nympth might be perfect. Looks straight out of the Shire to me.

rose-gold-engagement-rings-megan-thorne-wood-nymph.jpg

(doesn't have to be east/west set, but you get the idea)

I have worked with her before (she is local to me) and her whole team is amazing.

I really love this set! :love:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1461863004|4024658 said:
Ignoring what the center stone is, this is what I think when I think LOTR arwen theme.

Get a quote, subtract that from the budget, and then we'll see what we could find. Frankly part of me wants to say consider a colored stone or a cats eye, but you'll probably say she wants a diamond.

If she is open to something other than a diamond, this would be amazing! I love the cabochon!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1461864792|4024674 said:
Niel|1461863004|4024658 said:

If she is open to something other than a diamond, this would be amazing! I love the cabochon!

I also think this Elvin could be accomplished with a marquise diamond in this setting

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1461864792|4024674 said:
I think this is also doable for a diamond (bezeled) or even tweaked to make it prong-set.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think a marquise would be a good idea , based on some quick Elvin googling lol.

_37054.jpg

581a6e4e4564c0c3a1e7fc39841ea531.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock

Those Seven Fingers rings Niel posted are pretty. Van Craeynest also came to mind, though they're pretty spendy, but it sounds like the setting is going to be as important if not more than the center stone in your girlfriend's case. This one may not eat up too much of the budget: http://www.vancraeynest.com/index.php?page=gallery&startRow=21&pid=33

A true antique may be a good way to go, too.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

With a tight budget of 1k (which is actually not small for a setting allowance but here on PS we tend to lean towards custom which means $$$$) I really like the JA setting you choice. I would go with that. It will be stunning!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SB621|1461868283|4024711 said:
With a tight budget of 1k (which is actually not small for a setting allowance but here on PS we tend to lean towards custom which means $$$$) I really like the JA setting you choice. I would go with that. It will be stunning!

I agree if he wants to spend most of his money on the budget it's a nice choice. I just don't think it's a bad idea to spend the money on the setting, as that seems to be the most important thing to here. Normally here it's the other way around, but I would think spreading the budget out more for the setting would really get him the look he's going for.

But I totally agree . if I'm wrong and she cares mostly about the diamond, this is a good route.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree with the SB and Neil on this--assuming she wants a diamond, I think the JA setting in the original post by sir Frodo is a really good choice. It makes me think of something Galadriel might wear, actually.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ame|1461873413|4024777 said:
I agree with the SB and Neil on this--assuming she wants a diamond, I think the JA setting in the original post by sir Frodo is a really good choice. It makes me think of something Galadriel might wear, actually.

.well I actually think getting greenlake to remake that cab ring with a very white marquise would be the best option if she wants a diamond, but I think the ja one is best if she's concerned about getting the biggest diamond

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Niel|1461874324|4024785 said:

.well I actually think getting greenlake to remake that cab ring with a very white marquise would be the best option if she wants a diamond, but I think the ja one is best if she's concerned about getting the biggest diamond
Yea, true, but greenlake is likely not going to be in budget and I think if he had a larger budget he could really make that work for him, with a spectacular marquise, and it would nail that Galadriel ring. I think the JA one is going to work really well in budget. Even in Plat it is just over 1k and personally, Frodo, I'd do Plat. It's worth the upfront cost for the maintenance savings down the line. Just my advice.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ame|1461875174|4024794 said:
Niel|1461874324|4024785 said:

Yea, true, but greenlake is likely not going to be in budget and I think if he had a larger budget he could really make that work for him, with a spectacular marquise, and it would nail that Galadriel ring. I think the JA one is going to work really well in budget. Even in Plat it is just over 1k and personally, Frodo, I'd do Plat. It's worth the upfront cost for the maintenance savings down the line. Just my advice.

if you look at greenlake prices, you could get that done between 2-3k. thats then 2-3 k for the center stone, marquise being relatively inexpensive, i see no reason why he couldnt do that.

I just really dont think you want to get a james allen setting if all shes talked about is having well made setting. they are fine, i have one, but if shes dreaming of a setting, rather than a diamond, i think there are better options

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

i think you've done a great job choosing a setting! However.... the Greenlake settings are unbelievable. and if she is more about the setting..... i could see leaning that way and going for a smaller stone. do you think she would be open to a colored stone vs a diamond?

There are several GORGEOUS Greenlake settings, i love these

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery_detail.aspx?ImgID=102147

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery_detail.aspx?ImgID=81123

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

You may also want to check out the Lyria designs from Paradedesign. They do very whimsical, ethereal designs, and their signature crown looks like flower petals holding the center stone.

http://www.paradedesign.com/lyria-bridal/

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also wanted to ask if she mentioned any kind of stone shape? There are old antique style stones that would look lovely
in these kind of settings.

Old European Cut...they tend to be lower in color but when cut well are bright stones. They have a very old world and romantic
feel (to me).
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-00ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ags-k-si2/

Edit...here is an antique cushion...you could afford bigger but I wanted you to see what the cut looked like.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.83-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1028588

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The James Allen setting is perfect! And they have 15% off now, so the price is really good. I would go for it. The other suggestions people posted are all nice, but they are going to be a lot more money. The JA one is lovely.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

After looking a bit at the elven stuff from LOTR, I have a few options.
I would NOT get a lower colored stone. In anything, I'd get colorless, near colorless if you have to, but I'd strive for high color and save a bit on lower clarity.
Most of their jewelry doesn't seem to even have stones, but when they do they seem very white. I might even aim for strong fluorescence to give them a glow in certain lighting, feeling as if it has a "power"

Clearly you're aware of their floral, almost Celtic motifs. They seem to have twists, knots, leaves. Rather than flowers, the vines seem to play a big role

They seem to play with curves, that plus the fact that the only jewelry they have with any stones in if makes me suggest the marquise. Their jewlery isn't flashy, isn't overdone. it's ornate in its metalwork but organic and subtle in its artisty. If she's specifically against the shape then yes, don't do it. But I really think as a fangirl the more subtle knods to the inspiration the better.
Even in their non jewelry pieces they used understated organic likes to create their district style.

I think playing on the curves of the marquise plus intricate yet subtle vine work is really going to give you the obvious LOTR theme your going for. You could get a nice 60-70 pointer and still have a setting made by a real artisans. Being that none of their stuff is ostentatious, I don't think that size is a problem. Plus, marquise look bigger than other stones of a similar carat weight

aragorn-and-arwen-amulet.jpg

elf.jpg

lord-of-the-rings-elves-image-lord-of-the-rings-elves-36162651-480-640.jpg

orcrist_1.jpg

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I agree with Niel here. There's nothing about that JA setting that says LOTR to me. I would go for a vine motif.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

With Niel's info., I went hunting, too. Flowing, vines, marquise...

What about this one from Brilliant Earth? I actually love this a lot, very flowy, and with the wedding band, it's so lovely!

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Willow-Diamond-Ring-White-Gold-BE156-1152499/?did=1384819&is_tab=1

Try this link to see the set: http://www.brilliantearth.com/rings/cyorings/purchase_review/?did=1384819&sid=1156208&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_content=BE156-BE256A-18KW&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6Ya5BRDdyOewyo_Z_64BEiQA-fVKe9u7IX2zLEiqARpSNzDhs578B76Ew-TDdfO_S8CWlqMaAlce8P8HAQ

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rubybeth|1461895711|4024918 said:
Okay I just showed this thread to my DH who is a big LOTR fan, too, and he thinks that the original choice reflects the spirit of LOTR.

And I realized that this setting from JA was already posted, and it's virtually identical to the one from Brilliant Earth that I linked to.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/side-stones/14k-white-gold-wispy-nature-diamond-engagement-ring-item-50668

Funny I showed my husband too he said, "yeah I guess if has the twisty look ", then I showed him some other things and asked him again he said " yes it looks like it, but I didn't day it was the best option " lol. This is how I feel too. I just think it should feel like the perfect option, not I "fine" option.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results