shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get your opinions on this ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

varshini

Rough_Rock

This ring is from Ben moss, 14k gold they are asking 3499 for it but are willing to bargain. It is a Canadian DIamond, .62crt, ideal cut, SI1, G colour, certified by GEM SCAN, also cert side stones .33, H, SI2, ideal cut. THey also have a matching band for 600.

Let me know what you think,

V

411260006013s.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
pretty ring!
enjoy

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi varshini,

We''d need more info to tell you anything usefull. On the diamond we need:

table
depth
crown angle
pavillion angle
polish and symmetry grades
diameter

varshini

Rough_Rock
So I went to ben moss and got the tracking number and then called GEM SCAN. I spoke with them and they told me that thye do not do a detailed analysis of the stone after it has been mounted. So the only info that might be available is the dimensions of the ring. Am I being ripped off?

Thanks,
V

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
V, I put what little info you had on the center stone in Pricescope your diamond, at the top of the page. The most expensive one was $1732.00, to give you an idea. Yours may well be worth more, or less, we have nothing else to help find out.

Personally, I wouldn''t buy a diamond that doesn''t have that info, and I''d wonder about a lab that doesn''t give it. Now, that''s not to say the lab is bad, I have heard some favorable things about them, but I just have to wonder why the numbers are missing.

Without any numbers to go on, you simply have no real idea what you''re getting, and paying for. Whether you want to do that is up to you. Sorry I couldn''t be of more help.

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Canadian diamonds will cost more, especially with the blood diamond movie recently that shed light on the conflict diamond issue. That said, I personally wouldn't buy a diamond without the peace of mind of having a GIA or AGS cert with it. Gemscan wouldn't cut it for me but it's not unusual for a jeweler to not send it to GIA if it's under .75 carat, it's just not cost effective for smaller stones. I'd take the ideal cut grade with a grain of salt and would be worried about the SI2 actually being an I1 (which wouldn't be good). You can find youself an independent appraiser in your area and have him take look at it, he won't be able to do a full workup on a mounted stone but he should be able to tell you if you're getting ripped off. Make sure they have a good return policy.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 7:57:21 PM
Author: shiatsu
Canadian diamonds will cost more, especially with the blood diamond movie recently that shed light on the conflict diamond issue. That said, I personally wouldn''t buy a diamond without the peace of mind of having a GIA or AGS cert with it. Gemscan wouldn''t cut it for me but it''s not unusual for a jeweler to not send it to GIA if it''s under .75 carat, it''s just not cost effective for smaller stones. I''d take the ideal cut grade with a grain of salt and would be worried about the SI2 actually being an I1 (which wouldn''t be good). You can find youself an independent appraiser in your area and have him take look at it, he won''t be able to do a full workup on a mounted stone but he should be able to tell you if you''re getting ripped off. Make sure they have a good return policy.
I disagree that it''s not cost effective. Vendors on here have certs on stones as small as .30, and they''re not asking near what a B&M does.

With so little info, I''d want a full appraisal, which can''t be done.

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 8:13:32 PM
Author: Ellen
I disagree that it's not cost effective. Vendors on here have certs on stones as small as .30, and they're not asking near what a B&M does.

With so little info, I'd want a full appraisal, which can't be done.
That's because they have to, nobody will buy a diamond online without a GIA report. A brick and mortar jeweler has the ability to put the diamond right in front of your eyes and ask you if you like it or not. Online vendors have to certify it's nice by giving you a reliable report or nobody will buy it. GIA does offer "dossier reports" for diamonds under 1 carat, which is a bit cheaper than a full report, but I was told by a brick and mortar jeweler that it would cost about $200 to get it certified by GIA. If the diamond's only worth $1500, where's the cost effectiveness? If you go to a brick and mortar store and look at diamonds under .75 carat, most likely the diamonds you look at won't have had reports done on them in my experience anyway.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 8:18:51 PM
Author: shiatsu

That''s because they have to, nobody will buy a diamond online without a GIA report. A brick and mortar jeweler has the ability to put the diamond right in front of your eyes and ask you if you like it or not. Online vendors have to certify it''s nice by giving you a reliable report or nobody will buy it. GIA does offer ''dossier reports'' for diamonds under 1 carat, which is a bit cheaper than a full report, but I was told by a brick and mortar jeweler that it would cost about $200 to get it certified by GIA. If the diamond''s only worth $1500, where''s the cost effectiveness?
Maybe online vendors have to, but that''s not the point. Online vendors are making LESS than B&M''s do, on any stone, and yet, they''re all certified, and they''re STILL making money. B&M''s COULD do it, but many are greedy and don''t want to, and as you said, don''t necessarily have to.

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 8:23:41 PM
Maybe online vendors have to, but that's not the point. Online vendors are making LESS than B&M's do, on any stone, and yet, they're all certified, and they're STILL making money. B&M's COULD do it, but many are greedy and don't want to, and as you said, don't necessarily have to.
That's true, brick and mortar jewelers tend to grab a higher profit margin. But you also have to realise they have a storefront to pay for, and that means overhead costs for their sales staff and their commission, rent and utility bills and insurance for the showfloor, marketing costs for radio and TV advertisements, and some of the higher quality stores may even have a full time jeweler or appraiser on staff. Some of the vendors here like Knox has a storefront too (I've been to it), but there's no debating that selling diamonds online is cheaper to do. And the competition is greater since their competitor is only a click away.

Not only that, but if an online vender wasn't cheaper than brick & mortar companies nobody would buy from an online vendor. When you buy online you give up the ability to walk into a store and yell at somebody if there's a problem. You give up a source of having somebody look at and tighten your prongs, resize, clean, replate, and having somebody repair it if there's a problem in the future. You're on your own when it comes to learning about what you're purchasing and getting advice. You can't see it with your eyes before you buy it as easily, and you tend to worry about getting ripped off more.

Brick and mortar companies often do try to stay competitive in their pricing in my experience, but because of their overhead costs they will ever be able to compete with the internet vendors. That's why I bought my diamond online and bought my setting at a store. But I do understand why it may be more cost effective for a brick and mortar jeweler not to send some of the cheaper stones in for certification.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I realize B&M''s have an actual store, etc. to pay for. But, some of our online vendors are actual B&M''s too.

I don''t mean to argue, I tried to go the B&M route, and ALL that left me with is a very nasty taste in my mouth.

You may believe your last answer, I''ll still go with my mine.
9.gif
2.gif

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 8:56:14 PM
I tried to go the B&M route, and ALL that left me with is a very nasty taste in my mouth.
Yeah, salespeople usually give me a nasty taste in my mouth too. There was a store I found the wedding band I liked at (a tungsten one in a style I hadn't seen anywhere else), and told my fiance to get my band there but NOT from that salesperson.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results