shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get your opinion on this muzo emerald, gang?

Arthur Kennedy

Rough_Rock
Hi, gang. I was hoping to pick your brains on this particular sizable Colombian emerald. It is 1.65 carats and I have the opportunity to buy it for $1,000. It has a small chip in the corner, but I was thinking I could easily cover that up with a bezel ring setting (one with an open back in order to allow light to pass through the table). What do you guys think of the quality of this emerald based off the pictures and video clip? It seems to me $1,000 is a fantastic price because from what I understand emeralds from the muzo mine are considered the most desirable, and Colombian emeralds are insanely pricey. But I don't really know enough about emeralds to be 100% certain that I'm getting a crazy good discount or not. Screenshot_20231103-120451~2.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231103-120527~2.png
    Screenshot_20231103-120527~2.png
    370.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20231103-120537~2.png
    Screenshot_20231103-120537~2.png
    434.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20231103-120547~2.png
    Screenshot_20231103-120547~2.png
    197.8 KB · Views: 25

Arthur Kennedy

Rough_Rock
Hi, gang. I was hoping to pick your brains on this particular sizable Colombian emerald. It is 1.65 carats and I have the opportunity to buy it for $1,000. It has a small chip in the corner, but I was thinking I could easily cover that up with a bezel ring setting (one with an open back in order to allow light to pass through the table). What do you guys think of the quality of this emerald based off the pictures and video clip? It seems to me $1,000 is a fantastic price because from what I understand emeralds from the muzo mine are considered the most desirable, and Colombian emeralds are insanely pricey. But I don't really know enough about emeralds to be 100% certain that I'm getting a crazy good discount or not. Screenshot_20231103-120451~2.png

I tried to post a video clip, but it didn't go through. I'm not hugely tech-savvy, unfortunately. But I do have a download I would like to share. If memory serves, I think I have to post it on YouTube first.... and THEN post a link here?

Arthur Kennedy

Rough_Rock
I tried to post a video clip, but it didn't go through. I'm not hugely tech-savvy, unfortunately. But I do have a download I would like to share. If memory serves, I think I have to post it on YouTube first.... and THEN post a link here?

Ok, I posted it on youtube. And HERE is a link to the actual emerald:

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
I’m going to be killjoy by asking what does a legit report tell you about treatment level of the stone.

Arthur Kennedy

Rough_Rock
I’m going to be killjoy by asking what does a legit report tell you about treatment level of the stone.

I don't believe there's a report. But the seller said minor oil (I bought a gorgeous little nicely saturated violet-blue tanzanite from this same sellar a few months ago that turned out fantastic).

What do you think of the pictures from the various lighting sources? And the video clip? It looks very deeply saturated to me. And it definitely doesn't appear to be windowed. Do most old mine Muzo emeralds have that nice deep grass green color? That seems to be the case from what I've read online, but I'm a greenhorn when it comes to most colored gemstones--- ESPECIALLY precious colored gemstones.

if someone put your hand behind your back would you guess this was AA quality? or AAA?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s no such official grading as AA or AAA. Those are subjective to the vendor. Emeralds are very difficult to photograph, but based on appearance, I suspect more than minor oil. Also depending on the type of treatment, it could go very cloudy in a few years.

$1k is not a tremendous amount of money for a 1.65 ct Muzo emerald, but be prepared to risk that money if this stone isn’t what is described.

Last edited:

Arthur Kennedy

Rough_Rock
There’s no such official grading as AA or AAA. Those are subjective to the vendor. Emeralds are very difficult to photograph, but based on appearance, I suspect more than minor oil. Also depending on the type of treatment, it could go very cloudy in a few years.

$1k is not a tremendous amount of money for a 1.65 ct Muzo emerald, but be prepared to risk that money if this stone isn’t what is described.

That was my mistake on minor oil, he actually said standard oil. Not that I really know the difference! ‍

I do realize the A (single double and quadruple, etc) grading system isn't recognized by GIA or anyone else. But does it look like a highly saturated quality emerald as far as you can tell? Or do you think it's too dark?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was my mistake on minor oil, he actually said standard oil. Not that I really know the difference! ‍

I do realize the A (single double and quadruple, etc) grading system isn't recognized by GIA or anyone else. But does it look like a highly saturated quality emerald as far as you can tell? Or do you think it's too dark?

I actually don’t think it’s dark at all. It looks to be a medium tone with moderately strong saturation, but not a top quality emerald. No one would knowingly sell a top quality Muzo stone for $1k.

Arthur Kennedy

Rough_Rock
I actually don’t think it’s dark at all. It looks to be a medium tone with moderately strong saturation, but not a top quality emerald. No one would knowingly sell a top quality Muzo stone for $1k.

I think a big chunk of the discount is connected to the sizable chip in the corner of the stone? But you're right, even with a chip that IS a radical discount.

So in your estimation based off the pictures and the video it would certainly be worth $1,000?

Arthur Kennedy

Rough_Rock

And is there a big difference between moderately strong saturation and vivid saturation? Would moderately strong saturation be the equivalent of "intense" saturation? I only know intense and vivid as the two top categories for colored gems.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the different levels of saturation based on the GIA.

IMG_0520.jpeg

Arthur Kennedy

Rough_Rock
Here are the different levels of saturation based on the GIA.

IMG_0520.jpeg

Thanks for the chart and the info! That was very helpful. So moderately strong is actually apparently damn nice quality--- in terms of saturation there are only two clicks higher. Nice!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arthur Kennedy, you seem to be interpreting all the warning signs as endorsements.

There is no such thing as a bargain. It's heavily treated ("standard" is not a treatment grade) and still heavily included. "Muzo" or even Colombia is at best a guess with no report. Color looks OK but online vendor glamour shots are seldom reliable.

I do not know what is going on near that chip but I infer that someone already tried to bezel- or prong-set it so there could be a lot of additional structural vulnerability there (looks like clouds of inclusions = fractures). My (now retired) jeweler would not attempt to set that.

But: it sounds like you have fallen in love!

Arthur Kennedy

Rough_Rock
@Arthur Kennedy, you seem to be interpreting all the warning signs as endorsements.

There is no such thing as a bargain. It's heavily treated ("standard" is not a treatment grade) and still heavily included. "Muzo" or even Colombia is at best a guess with no report. Color looks OK but online vendor glamour shots are seldom reliable.

I do not know what is going on near that chip but I infer that someone already tried to bezel- or prong-set it so there could be a lot of additional structural vulnerability there (looks like clouds of inclusions = fractures). My (now retired) jeweler would not attempt to set that.

But: it sounds like you have fallen in love!

I appreciate your feedback. No, I haven't fallen in love with it. But it does look like it has a nice glowy color, and I'm guessing it's worth close to twice the price the guy is asking. But if setting it into a bezel is a high risk for deepening the fractures I think I've already lost my taste for it.... so thanks for your honesty! I'm going to pass on it after all.

And thanks again to everyone else who piped in. This is such a valuable forum for feedback about gems.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Here's what I see so far based on the information you provided:

1. Without a lab report origin is not verified and you're trusting the seller. That's not a problem all in itself but when origin demands a price premium (like Muzo) you want it to be verified so you don't overpay for it.

2. I assume "standard oil" refers only to the type of treatment - that it's oil and not some modern resin. But the level, whether it's minor, moderate or significant, is not stated. And that's because the seller doesn't want to state it. Trust me, if it was minor, you would've heard minor. Some people are also okay with moderate so I'll assume that this one is more probably significant.

Why that's important - because it affects not only clarity, but also structural integrity. Emeralds are fragile by nature, even when mostly clear. And when they're heavily fractured, they're even more fragile.

3. This stone definitely looks windowed to me, in the video.

4. There are surface inclusions and indentations on the table and also right next to it. Usually you want the top of the stone to be clean. That drops the price significantly straight away. Furthermore, the chip in the corner is a very big problem and a great contributing factor to why the stone is sold for only 1k.

Now, I'm no stranger to shopping on a budget. The thing with this approach, though, is you shouldn't be looking for a bargain. It's unlikely to find one anyway. What you should be looking for are compromises with the stone quality that you find acceptable. For example, do you even like the trade ideal muzo green? Because I don't, really. In terms of green I prefer a brighter and lighter colour, and that usually comes with a reduced price tag.

But of all the things you can afford to compromise on, structural integrity is not one of them. I agree that your decision to pass on this one is a solid one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the chart and the info! That was very helpful. So moderately strong is actually apparently damn nice quality--- in terms of saturation there are only two clicks higher. Nice!

I like the color, sure, but the type/amount of treatment, origin and structural integrity of this stone, as others have suggested, are in question without a reputable lab report. I do suspect it’s Columbian, but Muzo? I’m unsure. Also, I don’t believe lab reports identify anything in more detail than the country. You will see Columbia on a lab report, but not Muzo (a region in Columbia). Some Muzo stones are easy to identify, like the example I posted above, but again, the lab report will state “Columbia,” which in of itself, carries a premium.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
@Arthur Kennedy emeralds are so hard to shop for, especially online. I also struggle with it. What helped me was going to several brick and mortar stores and figuring out what I like. These are mine, and, as you can see, there's a huge difference in how they look in light vs shade. 20231104_090148.jpg

Attachments

• 20231104_090128.jpg
    20231104_090128.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231104_090241.jpg
    20231104_090241.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 26

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi Matt!
I recognize your video pic :wavey:

if you’ve seen it in person and it knocks your socks off color and performance wise
if it already having a chip releases you from anxiety of being the one to chip it during wear
knowing any stone can be chipped upon setting,
knowing you’d want to make sure the setter is much experienced with bezelling emeralds
knowing you’d need to have someone unmount it to re-oil someday and remount it

it’s a gamble, sure. but I think you could do worse.

if you are buying it because it’s an opportunity for a (vendor opinion) Muzo- and are doing so because of that and it’s perceived market value & prominence other than online comparison shopping and coming to the conclusion it’s high quality with no lab report and worth much more-
thats where the real disappointment comes in, imo

At this point - i’d be curious as to how many ‘opportunities’ this vendor has kindly offered you.

if it was worth much more without that chip - someone uphill would have had it recut. My guess is non evenness of color saturation and the cloud/clarity both come into the equation more than that chip.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be extremely cautious. There are no bargains in the jewelry world unless someone doesn't know what they have/the quality of what they're selling. In this case, the vendor knows what they have and almost certainly knows its not a bargain

Arthur Kennedy

Rough_Rock
Thanks again to everyone who provided input. I really appreciate it!

Definitely passing on this one.

Arthur Kennedy

Rough_Rock
@Arthur Kennedy emeralds are so hard to shop for, especially online. I also struggle with it. What helped me was going to several brick and mortar stores and figuring out what I like. These are mine, and, as you can see, there's a huge difference in how they look in light vs shade. 20231104_090148.jpg

I love ALL of your rings. Gorgeous!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you were wise to pass.
bezel setting an emerald requires considerable skill especially when there is already a chip.
Emeralds are prone to cleavage, it’s the crystal structure, so you’d really need a competent jeweller to view the emerald and give an opinion on setting feasibility. You’d probably have to go high carat gold (22ct) as it is more malleable for creating the bezel.
I had an opal bezel set years ago. Started out trying to use 14kt, ended up with 22ct which obviously added to the expense.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results