shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get opinions on this spinel?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Here.

Spinels are my current obsession and this one is my fave color from all the ones I have bookmarked. Can I get opinions?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is reasonably priced and a nice shape - color-wise it reminds me of a Rhodolite Garnet - YMMV

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
It is reasonably priced and a nice shape - color-wise it reminds me of a Rhodolite Garnet - YMMV

Oh yeah... it does. Now I need to rethink.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Probably it will look dark in real life. Also a slightly small window

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I like the clarity but it looks brown.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yep, I thought garnet instantly too.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’ll keep looking. That’s everyone!

Reactions: AV_

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's going to be way darker IRL than the photo of it..... you want red and pink and even purple spinel to be bright not too dark.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There are a few purple/pink/red things here www - I expect the pear and the .7 sapphire to be great colors.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
& a French cut - www

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I am guessing this is the right colour - www

tbc

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@AV_ Thank you for the suggestions! That French cut is super interesting. I’m going to really look through all the websites after work today to see what else they have.

I’m looking for something similarly colored to this ruby. I love the way it looks on my screen.

B80CCAAC-81FD-47EF-ADDB-0A9FB24FB572.jpeg

AV_

Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AV_ Thank you for the suggestions! That French cut is super interesting. I’m going to really look through all the websites after work today to see what else they have.

I’m looking for something similarly colored to this ruby. I love the way it looks on my screen.

B80CCAAC-81FD-47EF-ADDB-0A9FB24FB572.jpeg

Ruby looks like a garnet too.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with TL - feels like umbalite to me. Here’s a couple, not sure if its a shape you like:

Might be more purple, but may be a bit lighter:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@chroman These are nice! Have you ordered from him before? I see he’s in the UK.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great finds @chroman! I have a few stones from Jeff Davies and the stones are beautifully cut. I find his medium to medium-dark stones, like the garnets, to be darker in person. You can see he has them directly under light in the video, so I usually keep that in mind and choose a stone that is a bit lighter than what I am actually looking, for based on the studio videos/photos he provides.
Another stone type you may be able to find in the shade you are looking for is zircon.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Great finds @chroman! I have a few stones from Jeff Davies and the stones are beautifully cut. I find his medium to medium-dark stones, like the garnets, to be darker in person. You can see he has them directly under light in the video, so I usually keep that in mind and choose a stone that is a bit lighter than what I am actually looking, for based on the studio videos/photos he provides.
Another stone type you may be able to find in the shade you are looking for is zircon.

Darn the darkest one is my fave... I might try and go through all the PS recommended vendors before making a decision. I’m so indecisive it’s prob best for me to really take my time...

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like umbalite garnet colored spinels. With that said a few years back I purchased a medium reddish purple tone spinel from MC that looked very similar to the one you pictured. In real life it was very, very dark purple and hardly resembled the picture from the site. I returned it, it never arrived back to the vendor, and I was out around $500. My mistake in sending it registered mail. Once it left the US there was no tracking available. I reached out to the vendor but there was nothing he could do. For that reason I never buy a stone from a seller outside the US unless I am willing to lose the money if I need to return it.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I like umbalite garnet colored spinels. With that said a few years back I purchased a medium reddish purple tone spinel from MC that looked very similar to the one you pictured. In real life it was very, very dark purple and hardly resembled the picture from the site. I returned it, it never arrived back to the vendor, and I was out around $500. My mistake in sending it registered mail. Once it left the US there was no tracking available. I reached out to the vendor but there was nothing he could do. For that reason I never buy a stone from a seller outside the US unless I am willing to lose the money if I need to return it.

Yikes! That sounds terrible and I’m sorry this happened. I wonder how common this is...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh that stinks!! Sorry that happened to you. I only buy outside the USA or Canada if I know it’s less than $200 and/or I’m going to keep the gem no matter what. I did take a chance on several higher priced gems in the past and I think some overseas dealers have, or at least had, some unparalleled deals. I would never be able to afford the same gems in North America. It depends who you’re purchasing from of course.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results