shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get away with "G" stones in my wedding band if I have "E" E-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
I am having a five stone wedding band made from VS 2, G color, stones. I picked the stones from a parcel of ten, but didn''t compare them to my e-ring stone (I just SPACED and forgot to make the comparison).

My e-ring is "E" color. Will the average person be able to detect the color difference?

The price is really great, and I know I would have to go up in price to get in the D-E-F range, but if it looks bad, I will do it.

What do you think?
confused.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally doubt it...how big are the stones? If they are under .10c esp I would think you would not have a problem at all.

We compared an E stone to my G stone and didn't see a difference at all....plus when set any minimal difference in the grades that close would most likely disappear.

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
They are 30 points each. Do you think this makes a difference? Ughh, I would hate to have the jeweler make this ring, only to have it look bad b/c of the color difference.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm that is somewhat large! I have no idea if you could tell the difference at that point....maybe one of the experts can advise on their experiences.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Fancy,
It's funny you should mention that you have an E colored e-ring and want G colored diamonds in your wedding band.
Here is a picture of a 2.23 carat E VVS1 diamond next to a wedding band with G VS diamonds. This picture is courtesy of Divacd and the set was purchased at Tiffany's.
As you can see, the color difference is hard to see.
But, 30 pointers might make a big difference. YOu will just have to place them side by side to see if you can see a difference.
Or, gaet all E colored diamonds in your wedding band too.
2.gif

set no sun.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Fancy,

Would it be possible to go look at the stones again with your e-ring for comparison? I have an E color diamond in my e-ring and have the same concerns about color match. Stones that are 30 points are big enough that I think you may see a difference. I presume you will be wearing the e-ring and wedding band on the same finger in which case you would want a really good match.

Diamondlil

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
In the picture, the color seems to match fine. And I love the set!

I am not sure how bigger stones will make a difference. I will go back tomorrow and see if I can compare them, I guess there's no sense to have them make the ring if I am not going to be happy with the match. I will be wearing them on the same hand.

I hope I don't notice the difference, though, b/c I really didn't want to spend more $$$$ ... but it may not be as big of a difference as I think.
sick.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Fancy,

I actually have a different opinion...I have noticed in my travels that smaller stones (even .30) look too white next to the same grade of large center stone, so I personally think that the G color will be fine. Please let us know how they appear to you tomorrow, I'll be curious to see what you think.
10.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I concur w/ caratgirl. You will have bionic eyes to tell the color dif. in a .30 stone that is properly graded.

But, if it makes you feel better, you should compare *before* the ring is made.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Fancy,

I've have compared G and E diamonds side by side - given that I am no expert like the average joe or jane that would see your E-ring and wedding band, the color difference was hard to tell when faced up. It only was apparent to me when it was faced down and viewed from the side against a matte white background. So, although each of the 30 point diamonds will be approximately have the size of your E-ring stone in terms of diameter, I doubt someone could tell the color difference when your hands are naturally moving about causing those diamonds to sparkle.

If you really need to soothe your concerns, just drop by a local jewelery store and asked to look at some G color stones and then compare it to your E-ring stone side by side to see if you can discern any color differences.

rodent.gif

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much, I feel a lot better about it. I didn't want to spend any more money for the ring -- as it is, I pushed it getting the 30 points -- originally I was going with 20 points.
lickout.gif

I will see what it looks like tomorrow when the ring is ready, and if for some reason I really do notice the difference, I can always change the stones (what jeweler would complain about me getting more expensive stones????). But after reading your posts, I think it will be just fine.
21.gif

I am glad I have this forum ... who else would understand my obsessing over diamonds ...
loopy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results