shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I find out where the diamond cert. came from?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sk8ermom

Rough_Rock
I am new to this site. I have learned so much about diamonds from all of you. We are looking for a new setting/diamonds for my 25th wedding anniversary.I havent looked at diamonds in A LONG TIME. I have have seem many discussions about GIA vs EGL. I went to a local jeweler who has been highly recommended by many of my co-workers. I found a very nice oval (I am partial to ovals) 1.06 carat. It is EGL certified. I have been reading about how it is better to not have a EGL cert from Isreal. How can I find out where my stone is from. The registration number is
2000-07225523 which doesnt match any of the EGL sites that state if your cert. number is 10 digets or starts with certain letters then you can determine its place of certification.
Any suggestions or ideas? I would really appreciate any info.
I also read about the Holloway cut advisor...is there one for ovals, I only saw it for round cuts. I would like to know if this stone is a good one.
Thanks so much!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

The HCA only works for rounds. Regarding the EGL cert, if you have no luck with the website, I would email EGL with your cert details and see if they can trace where it is from for you, or advise you who to speak to. As far as fancy cuts go, it is best to evaluate their beauty and appeal with your eyes as the numbers don't tell you the whole story. That being said, I will post a cut proportion chart for you in a moment so you can get an idea of the cut quality. Also with the cert, can't your jeweller advise you or find out where the diamond and cert originate from? I would have thought the cert should say EGL Israel, USA, Europe etc, they usually do and my EGL cert has it's division clearly stated on it...

If you want to buy this oval, make the sale contingent on having an independant appraisal done on it before you make the sale final. A good vendor shouldn't have a problem with this and it is well worth the extra money for peace of mind. EGL are thought by some to be softer on grading than some other labs, and this can vary according to which division did the grading.
Hope this helps.

Here is the chart which can help you with your latest post.

http://www.gemappraisers.com/oldcutgraderules.asp

sk8ermom

Rough_Rock
Upon additional reading in this site....(I cant believe how little I have know about diamons) I have to add some info to my previous entry. I see that some people have entered the statistics on the stone they are looking to purchase to get feedback. So here goes:
Weight 1.06
Measurements 8.09 - 5.77 x 3.66 mm
Total Depth 63.4%
Table width 56%
Crown height 15%
Pavilion Depth 45%
Girdle thickness Medium,faceted
Polish good
Symmetry good
Culet none
Clarity SI1
Graining Nil
Color H
Fluorescence slight blue

This stone looks much nicer than the one I have,but is it worth the investment?

I honestly dont know what half of these things mean. Again, if anyone can explain some of these numbers to me, I would really appreciate it. I am pretty diamond illiterate. The jeweler explained some things but it is all rather foreign to me.
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Read this tutorial which is really useful, it should help navigate you through the parts of a diamond and give you all the info you need! Also on the left of the page is a blue column which lists each component of a diamond for you to read through. With the chart I posted earlier, you can use that to see how this diamond matches up cut wise - tricky in a fancy cut as the numbers don't tell the whole story but they will give you a place to start. The main thing is if you like this diamond! Also I don't know if I have missed it anywhere, but you don't mention a price?

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fancy.asp

Also I had a quick look at the EGL website, they have a customer service number on this page, I am sure they would be helpful.

http://www.eglusa.com/customerlogin.html

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that number belongs to EGL Israel.
2.gif

sk8ermom

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/2/2006 1:40:22 PM
Author: Giangi
2.gif
Is that a bad thing? I have read that EGL in general is less strict than GIA, are is EGL Isreal worse than that?

Also thanks for the info from those who have replied!
1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGL Israel is considered to be (much) less strict than GIA.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/2/2006 2:15:01 PM
Author: sk8ermom

Date: 9/2/2006 1:40:22 PM
Author: Giangi
2.gif
Is that a bad thing? I have read that EGL in general is less strict than GIA, are is EGL Isreal worse than that?

Also thanks for the info from those who have replied!
1.gif
Here is my personal experience as a newbie recently with EGL Israel misgrading by two clarities and two colors - hope this explains why I at least would never go with EGL, and I hope that maybe this will save you some grief too ...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/did-we-misunderstand-eyeclean.49602/=

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I would stick with GIA certs. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results