shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I do better?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

delighted

Rough_Rock
I desperately needs some advice. My husband and I decided to buy a bigger diamond to celebrate our 10th anniversary (which we spent in Iraq last year!). I''ve been searching and have found one. Just want to know if this is a good find. I''m looking for a balance but partial to one that really sparkles. This is what I''ve found:

1.28ct
Clarity VS2
Color H
depth 61.7
table 58
crown angle 34.5
crown height 14.5
pavilion angle 41.2
pavilion depth 43.5
girdle very thin to slightly thick faceted
cutlet none
polish ex
sym gd
fluor none
clouds are not shown..surface graining is not shown
$6000

Should I look elsewhere?
Thanks!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I ran the numbers through the HCA it shows these results:

Light return - very good
Fire - good
Scintillation - good
Spread - very good

Very Good - 3.4 worth buying if the price is right

It seems a good price for the size but really you would be looking for 2.0 or less on the HCA

You can find HCA here: https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

Maisie

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry I just realised you might not know what the HCA is... silly me! You can find out more about it here: http://diamonds.pricescope.com/ideal.asp

It will help you filter out more undesirable diamonds which will hopefully save you some time
1.gif

Maisie

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2007 8:45:35 PM
Author: Maisie
Sorry I just realised you might not know what the HCA is... silly me! You can find out more about it here: http://diamonds.pricescope.com/ideal.asp

It will help you filter out more undesirable diamonds which will hopefully save you some time
1.gif

Maisie
Nice work Maisie!!!
36.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
*curtseys*
36.gif

9.gif

delighted

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info! Do you think a 3.4 will be very eye-catching? Do you have any suggestions on where I would find a really good deal on a better diamond? Whiteflash? I really appreciate any help as I am obviously very new to this whole thing
emsmile.gif

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2007 11:15:30 PM
Author: delighted
Thanks for the info! Do you think a 3.4 will be very eye-catching? Do you have any suggestions on where I would find a really good deal on a better diamond? Whiteflash? I really appreciate any help as I am obviously very new to this whole thing
emsmile.gif

You can get a better diamond than the 3.4, I promise! And people here will help you pick an "eye-catcher" for sure! (and after 10 years, you deserve it)

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
What is your budget and desired size?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

One way of looking at it is that you have seen this diamond, but you can certainly get a tighter cut which we would be happy to help you find. Don''t rush in, buying the right diamond can take some time, but the time spent is well worth it!

delighted

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the replies!! Thanks for the links, Boston Jeff!

Well, I''d like a VS2...but do you think it would be worth paying a little extra for D-F color? I didn''t want to spend anymore than $8-9K for a 1.25 ct round. Any suggestions on where to look?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think it''s worth paying for D or E unless you just happen to have the extra money. G and H are at the top of the near colorless range and look very white in natural light if they are well cut. I have bought from Good Old Gold and WhiteFlash and find that they have excellent diamonds!

analyticangel

Rough_Rock
Curious was this a GIA or AGS certificate or some other ( ie EGL) as this can impact the decison as well.

delighted

Rough_Rock
The 1.28 ct has a GIA report

delighted

Rough_Rock
Upgrades? Do you mean some sort of trade-up policy?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 12:03:16 AM
Upgrades? Do you mean some sort of trade-up policy?
Yes, WF and GOG and JA all have some form of a "trade-up". For instance with WF, you can trade-up your diamond in the future for a larger one and get 100% of the price towards the new diamond. I don''t know all the details because trade-up wasn''t an important thing for us, but it is a big deal to most and so if you think you might trade-up in the future choose a vendor with an upgrade policy.

delighted

Rough_Rock
I still don''t quite understand the fluorescence...is it a bad thing? I''ve noticed that many diamonds that have it are generally priced lower than those that don''t. Also, does the degree of fluoresecence matter? I mean, is medium blue better than strong blue. So confused....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 12:39:41 AM
I still don''t quite understand the fluorescence...is it a bad thing? I''ve noticed that many diamonds that have it are generally priced lower than those that don''t. Also, does the degree of fluoresecence matter? I mean, is medium blue better than strong blue. So confused....
It''s only a problem if it makes the stone appear milky or cloudy. Most of the time it isn''t a problem. I have medium blue in my ering, and strong blue in my asscher, and both are clear as day. HTH, and good luck.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
I have a diamond with strong blue fluor and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Do a search for fluorescence or look for some of my threads and you will find lots of info on fluor. It is a personal choice but I will never buy a diamond that doesn''t have fluor because I think it is so beautiful in a diamond.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
If you can swing the extra money for a colorless stone and still be at the same size, I personally do think it is worth it. That said, there is nothing unattractive about a near colorless one either. I also like a little fluor and it usually comes at a discount
2.gif

delighted

Rough_Rock
33.gif
OK...I''ve been reading through as many posts as I can trying to get a better understanding of diamonds. Just trying to find a stone that I will be happy with. It may be a couple of years before I upgrade again!! It''s just so hard to make a decision...especially when searching online. I think I may have found a couple of good options (as long as they are eye-clean)....

RB 6.78-6.82 x 4.21mm
1.21 ct
SI1/G
No Fluor
1.3 HCA TIC
$7593

RB 7.03-7.06 x 4.30mm
1.28 ct
SI1/H
Med Fluor
1.7 HCA TIC
$5844

What do you think?? I can spend more...but I would really like to find a balance
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi delighted,

Can you can link the stones?

delighted

Rough_Rock
No...all I have are the GIA reports on them....
40.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. We need all the info before we can even try to decide which might be better.

Depth
Table
Crown and pavillion angles
Girdle
Polish
Symmetry

delighted

Rough_Rock
Measurements: 6.78 - 6.82 x 4.21 mm

Carat Weight: 1.21

Color Grade: G

Clarity Grade: SI1

Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:

Depth: 61.9 %

Table: 56 %

Crown Angle: 34.5°

Crown Height: 15 %

Pavilion Angle: 40.8°

Pavilion Depth: 43 %

Star length: 55 %

Lower Half: 75 %

Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted

Culet: None

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Excellent

Fluorescence: None

Comments: Pinpoints are not shown.

Measurements: 7.03 - 7.06 x 4.30 mm

Carat Weight: 1.28

Color Grade: H

Clarity Grade: SI1

Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:

Depth: 61.0 %

Table: 56 %

Crown Angle: 34.5°

Crown Height: 15 %

Pavilion Angle: 41°

Pavilion Depth: 43.5 %

Star length: 50 %

Lower Half: 80 %

Girdle: Thin to Medium

Culet: None

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Very Good

Fluorescence: Medium Blue

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both look fine, but I think the big issue will be which one is the most eye clean. Do you have access to magnified photos? The second one is a really good price, which makes me wonder about it''s inclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results