shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I do better than this? Diamond noob.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen this stone in person?

We can not evaluate fancy cuts without pictures/aset images. If you have either, please post.

Edit - if this vendor can not provide pictures I recommend you switch to a vendor who can.

Good old gold has pictures/asets...
http://goodoldgold.com/diamondResults.php?shape=16&ctMin=&ctMax=&clarity=&color=&sym=&polish=&agsCutGrd=&giaCutGrd=&cert=&certNum=&optSym=&tblMin=&tblMax=&depthMin=&depthMax=&crnAMin=&crnAMax=&crnDMin=&crnDMax=&pavAMin=&pavAMax=&pavDMin=&pavDMax=&grdlMin=&grdlMax=&fluo=&priceMin=&priceMax=&wireMin=&wireMax=&widthMin=&widthMax=&lenMin=&lenMax=&culet=&depthPctMin=&depthPctMax=&upGrdlMin=&upGrdlMax=&lowGrdlMin=&lowGrdlMax=&dateMin=&dateMax=&inHouse=&resultsColumns=268435471

James Allen would be another option. What kind of cushion are you looking for? What is your budget?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Without image, ASET image that stone is a shot in the dark as GIA does not grade the cut performance of a cushion.

nflor001

Rough_Rock
So I guess you can't determine by the description. So what is one to do when buying online?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Buy from a vendor that provides images, preferably ASET image.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
The vendor's description is not the same as the GIA grading report. The vendor calls it a "super ideal" cut, while GIA grades it as excellent. That is the highest grade that GIA uses. I would be nice if vendors used accurate descriptions and did not use sample photos. You do need more information, which has been stated by the above posters. Now is a good time to learn the difference between the types of cushion cuts, as well. This will enable you to choose the type, which appeals to you the most :))

nflor001

Rough_Rock
I emailed them and they said they will provide a picture, but can you accurately evaluate a diamond by a picture?

My budget is around 3000 to 3500.

Engagement ring searching is hard.

ac75

Rough_Rock
nflor001,

This isn't the best way to select, but if you can't afford from a place who provides ASET or just simply get it where they don't provide ASETs.. this is what I did.

I went to a couple sites and wrote down dimensions of ideal cuts. Then I compared them to stones I liked.. It's clearly not as good as getting an ASET, but it's much better than choosing simply off "cut" itself.

nflor001

Rough_Rock
Anything except round. Personally, I like the cushion cut.

nflor001

Rough_Rock
Here is the pic. Not sure what you could tell from the pic.

1.01ct_H,_VVS2.jpg

nflor001

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts on the picture?

nflor001

Rough_Rock
So is whiteflash.com the place to go?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi nflor,

It's hard to tell how the diamond will REALLY perform from the one photo. That's why we recommend people seek out information like IS, ASET, etc. if they're not able to view the diamond in person.

Do you want to stay at 1 carat? What are your minimum specs in terms of size, color, and clarity?

nflor001

Rough_Rock
my min:
1 carat
H
vvs2

E B

Ideal_Rock
This one may be worth checking out. It's 20 points less in weight than the one you first linked to, but not much smaller measurement wise (the H, VVS2: 5.67 x 5.69, the JA: 5.62 x 5.55) and it's a pretty big jump in color. The GIA report doesn't show it, but it looks like an 8-main thin square cushion.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1289924.asp

James Allen will provide an ASET image if you request one.

E B

Ideal_Rock
nflor001|1293041724|2803808 said:
my min:
1 carat
H
vvs2

Is there a reason you want to stick with VVS2? Most VS stones will be eye clean, esp. at this size.

nflor001

Rough_Rock
just lack of knowdlege, figured vvs would be eye clean. I guess vs or higher would be good.

ac75

Rough_Rock
Good info by EB..

Based on dimensions, a smaller stone can look like a bigger stone, but you still want to choose it w/an ideal/excellent cut.

nflor001

Rough_Rock
yeah but on paper it say it's less than a carat. I thought cut isn't a factor when it comes to non round diamonds.

E B

Ideal_Rock
nflor001|1293043024|2803831 said:
yeah but on paper it say it's less than a carat. I thought cut isn't a factor when it comes to non round diamonds.

Cut is absolutely a factor. The most important around here, when it comes to colorless/near colorless diamonds. Long story short, cut determines how much the diamond sparkles.

Here's a helpful video to start off with, and I'll try to dig up some more cushion-specific info:

http://www.vimeo.com/7579666

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Here is your situation as I see it:

Your budget does not allow you to get a 1ct Cushion Brilliant (non modified) at anywhere close to the color and clarity you are looking at.
The only stones available to you will be Cushion Modified Brilliants that are cheaper to produce as they save more rough diamond.

Saving more rough comes at a cost, and that is optical performance.

So you have a choice, go down in carat weight and choose something with a focus on light performance, or try to find the best CMB you can find in your budget. Both options can result in a beautiful stone with emphasis on different factors.

To give you an idea of the differences in optical performance see the video I put up **edited by moderator. please remember forum policies concerning links to personal websites or video hosting**

The stone you were originally considering would likely have an appearance similar to the bottom right hand corner.

nflor001

Rough_Rock
ChunkyCushionLover|1293045494|2803872 said:
Here is your situation as I see it:

Your budget does not allow you to get a 1ct Cushion Brilliant (non modified) at anywhere close to the color and clarity you are looking at.
The only stones available to you will be Cushion Modified Brilliants that are cheaper to produce as they save more rough diamond.

Saving more rough comes at a cost, and that is optical performance.

So you have a choice, go down in carat weight and choose something with a focus on light performance, or try to find the best CMB you can find in your budget. Both options can result in a beautiful stone with emphasis on different factors.

To give you an idea of the differences in optical performance see the video I put up here.
The stone you were originally considering would likely have an appearance similar to the bottom right hand corner.

Thank you. Exactly the info I needed.

nflor001

Rough_Rock
Acutally thank you to everybody, I'm learning more and more. I was close to buying something I knew nothing about. More research and searching for me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, all different types of looks for a cushion...need to decide which look you and GF like and what fits into budget.
Good luck!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
E B said:
ChunkyCushionLover, if you're still reading....

Here's an 8-main thin modern CB, but the culet is listed as 'slightly large.' What sort of impact would this have on the modern look of the diamond or its performance, and would this be one for nflor001 to check out (if eye-clean, of course)?

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-2072262-1.00-carat-Cushion-diamond-G-color-SI1-clarity.aspx

These diamonds are popular to some, it certainly is well priced and would be worth calling in for some images for a decent tradeoff between size color clarity and still within budget for someone looking for a modern cushion with medium sized flashes.

The ones in this style with slightly large culet will look similar to this.

8mainthinslightlylargeculet.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results