shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I buy just an empty setting?

mush

Rough_Rock
I have a local jeweler friend who will supply me with the little stones for the band, and I already have my center stone (this is a reset).

Is it possible for me to buy JUST a plain, empty setting from online? Or, do you know of any wholesalers that would have this design that I can ask him to approach? I'm afraid that what I want (which I think is fairly simple and quite ubiquitous) is too high-end for what a mass distributor would carry... he already referred me to one style that was just too chunky and less "fine" or "expensive" than what I have in mind.

I want a micropave halo for oval stone, fairly thin band (1.88-2mm), that can be made low-set. Similar to Harry Winston style. I can't afford the designer or custom-made route.

Thanks

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.

Go look at stuller. They let you see all the designs, but as you're not a vendor you can't see the prices. He can set your senter stone and get melee if your setting requires it.

One problem.
Unless your oval is a size that fits their stock settings, you may have to give up the dream of an halo

mush

Rough_Rock
Niel|1456365967|3995280 said:
Yes.

Go look at stuller. They let you see all the designs, but as you're not a vendor you can't see the prices. He can set your senter stone and get melee if your setting requires it.

One problem.
Unless your oval is a size that fits their stock settings, you may have to give up the dream of an halo

Thanks! They had a quite large selection of oval halos.

This was the closest match I could find: http://www.stuller.com/products/122870/12370960/?groupId=192448

Two things: 1) it looks too large to be micropave - am I right? I'm judging that based on looks and the fact that the stones in the setting are 1.30 mm instead of under 1mm
2) Will my 7.15x5.60 stone fit into standard 7x5 size? At that point is it just a matter of the jeweler doing the mounting to move the prongs over a bit?

Any other sites I can look at?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try Adwar too - they're similar to Stuller - if you find a setting you like, your local jeweler can price/order it for you - http://www.adwar.com/

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
mush|1456366652|3995290 said:
Two things: 1) it looks too large to be micropave - am I right? I'm judging that based on looks and the fact that the stones in the setting are 1.30 mm instead of under 1mm.
1.3mm stones are 1 pointers meaning 1/100 of a carat. These are about as small as you'd want in the band which is only 1.6mm wide.

2) Will my 7.15x5.60 stone fit into standard 7x5 size? At that point is it just a matter of the jeweler doing the mounting to move the prongs over a bit?
Probably. With this setting much depends on how deep your stone is since the head itself has steeply angled prongs and a rather narrow rail holding the prongs together. How deep is your pavilion? If shallow, then you're O.K., if not, then the head will require re-work or a new head fitted to the setting.

Any other sites I can look at?
Try Unique Settings of NY, they always have tons of stuff and are fairly easy to look through
http://www.uniquesettings.com/

Keep in mind that any competent bench jeweler can easily do re-work on these commercial settings, such as installing different sized heads or moving various parts around to fit things better.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results