shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I Bezal Sphene?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone,

Just wondered if I could bezel sphene for jewellry? I'm dying to make a RHR out of this one:

one

but I gather its very soft. Do you think it's possible for a very-babied cocktail ring...?

EDIT: Sorry link doesn't work. Try this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-71ct-NATURAL-INTENSE-GREEN-TITANIUM-SPHENE-RED-SPARK_W0QQitemZ370165880149QQihZ024QQcategoryZ164394QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't. It's just too soft for much of anything. Especially not a ring. Maybe a pendant, but a ring gets banged around too much.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I doubt you'd find a jeweller willing to do it.

I prong set some sphene as earrings and a pendant and we were all nervous while it was done.

Some people do wear them as ring stones, personally I wouldn't take the risk.

ETA: Step cuts are not the way to get the best out of a sphene. The killer dispersion of this species is dampened significantly. (I'd also be very suspicious of that stone actually having that colour)

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Bear in mind that although the bezel may seem to protect the stone, it has been literally hammered onto it first... I guess you could do it using 24k gold, but then it would be so soft that it wouldn''t hold its shape against anything.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
there is a jeweler in durango, co who really loves sphene. He uses it in rings, but all of his are prong set...

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Gem Shopping Network has been selling Sphene and Kyanite rings for some time now. They never mention how soft they are
23.gif

So, clearly they''ve got jewelers who are setting them.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve got a number of Sphenes in different settings and have never had any problems with them (rings included).

What I would add is that I''ve bought from that Ebay seller and returned everything. Their photos and videos are photoshopped beyond belief. What you see in the auction in the stone you''ll get but it won''t (in colour) look anything like they say unfortunately. I also think their after sales tactics in trying to get you to leave positive feedback leave a lot to be desired. Sorry.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
How would they photoshop a video? I''m not saying I don''t believe you - I actually do - I''m just wondering how big of a difference there was between the pictures and what you got. The video could have a certain filter over the lights to change color, but you can''t fake sparkle that way.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe frame by frame, but that doesn''t seem like it would be worth it. Maybe it''s just me...but it''s a $20 stone...

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can do overlays and color/brightness/contrast correction and apply to an entire video. There is quite a bit of high-end software that does this (I've seen it used a lot in film, demonstrations at Siggraph, etc.), but the new iMovie even has features for it.

ETA: Probably any difference in sparkle would be because of effective lighting, right?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 4:28:34 PM
Author: musey
You can do overlays and color correction and apply to an entire video. There is quite a bit of high-end software that does this (I''ve seen it used a lot in film, demonstrations at Siggraph, etc.), but the new iMovie even has features for it.

That kinda sucks! What about us honest people that wouldn''t use it badly that get duped by people that DO use it badly?
38.gif

I really like that stone, too. It''s gorgeous.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it's lame
shrug1.gif

Very useful tool in film, however! I was on a set awhile back wondering how on earth they could turn that dismal, drizzly day into a sunny beach scene. I saw the completed episode recently and sure enough, they made it look like 90 degrees and blistering sun! (For the record, I was FREEZING all day.)

Very bad for eBay, though
38.gif
3.gif

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all your replies! I will not buy from that seller now so probably won''t attempt to set a sphene. Pity, they are such pretty stones!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are photos from their Ebay auction and the videos looked EXACTLY the same (otherwise I would never have bought these). The photos on the right are what I got!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I''d wondered what those stones had looked like IRL.

Sad to say, but worse than I had ever imagined!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t copy and paste the video but here''s a still from it! I have no idea how they''ve done it but quite clearly the video has been tampered with.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
YIKES Loving. Those are BAD.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah!!! I remember that now!!! It looks gorgeous in the setting though! Do you wear it often?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wearing a sage green top and grey trousers today and it really went well - so yes, I do wear it but it's not my first choice out of the jewellery box!
9.gif

Sorry for the threadjack HotPozzum but I wanted you to see that all is not what it seems with that seller unfortunately. I believe others have had a similar experience and to be honest, I was warned but thought the video could be relied on! Doh!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/5/2009 7:53:36 AM
Author: oldmancoyote
Bear in mind that although the bezel may seem to protect the stone, it has been literally hammered onto it first... I guess you could do it using 24k gold, but then it would be so soft that it wouldn''t hold its shape against anything.
One day, when I was feeling particularly suicidal, I decided to set a sphene. Fine silver bezel, gently pushed with a burnisher, instead of hammered. It survived quite well. I wouldn''t do it with a hammer, though.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
9.gif
Would you try that with 14k?

(LD: that sapphire thing is magical!)

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''m not suicidal enough for that.

(ps. it is a spinel, not a sapphire)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 4:45:43 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
These are photos from their Ebay auction and the videos looked EXACTLY the same (otherwise I would never have bought these). The photos on the right are what I got!
Those are just horrifying! They look dark and muddy. I''m so sorry...
39.gif

As for finding a jeweller who''ll bezel set a sphene, that''ll be difficult. I doubt most would be willing to risk breaking/chipping it.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
WOW. Just WOW. I can''t believe how awful those stones look! That''s false advertising
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results