shape
carat
color
clarity

Can cabochon be mounted on a prong setting plus other advice

Zaffiro

Rough_Rock
Hi from a new and clueless forum member and apologies in advance for not being familiar with jewellery-related terminology.
I am looking at buying a gemstone and a semi mount for an anniversary present for my wife. I should probably start by telling you that she pretty much hates traditional jewellery and would kill me if I bought her something expensive (or try to return/sell it). However, since she doesn't have an engagement ring by choice, I thought I'd get her a ring she could choose to use with her wedding band either for special occasions or even daily should I succeed in picking out something she really loves. I had thought about a vintage ring, but have some concerns with finding anything affordable enough and being sure stones are genuine. I then found a nice new silver (to match her wedding band as she is not fond of gold) semi mount I think she'd love, and am currently bidding for it. It has a 6 prong basket (?) type setting that takes a 6-7mm round stone. My stone of choice would be a sapphire since it is her birth stone. I think she would really like a star sapphire since they are not bling or gem-like in the traditional sense, but I'm unsure whether they can be mounted on prongs? Would it be better to stick with a round cut "regular" sapphire?
Thanks for reading and I'll really appreciate any advice/opinions from you guys.
J

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Can cabochon be mounted on a prong setting plus other ad

Hi there,
Good question! I am definitely not as much of an expert as many on the forum, but I do know that cabochons can be mounted with prongs (if you google image search "cabochon with prongs" you'll see lots of pictures that look great). I've personally never mounted a cab that way, so I can't speak to stability, etc, but I don't see why it would be a problem.

I think if she'd like a star sapphire piece that's a nice idea. Do you have a budget in mind? I think it might be easier to get a ring that is already made, although depending on your budget I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Hopefully others can chime in on this as well. Good luck!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cabs can be prong set, but you might need longer prongs compared to faceted stones. Hopefully the experts will chime in soon.
I can be really difficult to find the right sized stone for an existing setting. I would therefore recommend to either look for a complete ring or to find a stone first and have the setting custom made.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yes they can be set with prongs. They are longer prongs, of course, but prongs nonetheless.

What a thoughtful gift. I'm sure she will love it.

Zaffiro

Rough_Rock

Thank you for the replies!
I had a look on Google, and the only thing I'm unsure about is that the semi mount I am looking at does not seem to have the circular "support" bit (sorry, can't figure out the official term for this) inside the basket where the flat bottom of the stone would sit. Not sure if it makes any difference since the sides of the stone would rest on the inner edges of the basket though. I'll try to post a pic of the ring later.
I did have a look for ready made rings both at local shops and online, but didn't find anything I liked or would feel comfortable buying for the reasons I mentioned in my first post. I also like the idea of choosing a stone I really like (and can check the authenticity of), and not having to make do with an iffy setting. As it is, I guess I have picked the setting over the stone at the moment if the auction goes my way. I have a few options for the stone, hoping to get it either from a jeweller who is a friend of a friend, or from/with the help of a local IGI gemologist. Budget wise, as little as possible but I am really looking to find the stone and setting that seem "right" to me (and cross my fingers she likes as well).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1. It depends on whether the cabochon is flat bottomed or has a pavilion
2. It depends on how the basket is constructed
3. It depends on the length of the prongs and how tall the dome of the cabochon is.

In short, it is not recommended.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Can you post a picture of the setting?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Zaffiro|1446573525|3945169 said:
I then found a nice new silver (to match her wedding band as she is not fond of gold) semi mount I think she'd love, and am currently bidding for it. It has a 6 prong basket (?) type setting that takes a 6-7mm round stone. My stone of choice would be a sapphire since it is her birth stone. I think she would really like a star sapphire since they are not bling or gem-like in the traditional sense, but I'm unsure whether they can be mounted on prongs? Would it be better to stick with a round cut "regular" sapphire?

Yes, you could put a star sapphire in that setting, BUT you would need to pick a suitable star sapphire that is slightly larger than the setting size and have it cut round and a bit thinner on the bottom. The size stone that can be set into a basket setting is the same size as the upper rail which holds the prongs together. If you measure that rail and it's 7mm in diameter, then get an oval star sapphire with a minimum size of 7mm and have a cutter cut it to fit. There are tons of these things on E-bay but if you're going to cut one down you want to watch out for internal fractures which can be hidden by the opaque nature of these stones, (a strong backlight from a penlight will show these easily).

1dark_star_sapphire2.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Most settings have a V shaped basket and a stone sits inside the V (almost touching the bottom at the pointed bit).

Most cabochons have a flat bottom so they would be suspended above the V. This can look odd (depending on the setting) and it could make the stone slightly unstable if the prongs loosen or you whack the stone and it shifts a little. You could have a silver setting made quite inexpensively.

The alternative is why not think about doing a one day silversmithing course and learn to make a ring with a bezel setting? That would make it very unique and it's not a difficult thing to make.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love LD's suggestion as it will add to making (no pun intended) the ring special.

I have cabs set with prongs but none of them in a basket setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've had several cabochons mounted in prong settings, and I suggest not only using much longer prongs, but thicker ones as well. Here's two of mine, and the prongs on the smaller stone are holding really well, but I have to already get the other stone's prongs tightened. I wish I told my jeweler "thicker" prongs.

tlmoonstones3.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

What gorgeous moonstones!

Zaffiro

Rough_Rock

Thank you everyone for your kind replies.
Sadly, I was not able to find anyone interested in making a custom setting in silver for a pre-purchased stone. Also, the silversmithing course would have been a truly awesome idea, but in my city/region there is really nothing like that available unless you are a professional or studying to be one - I had not thought about this before but have spent the afternoon checking it out even though I did win the auction for the semi mount (still no photo since I am posting from my phone). I do think she'll really love it and it should go very well with her wedding band, but I think you are right about the cabochon cut stone looking out of place. So I think I'll go for a "regular" sapphire instead. I should be able to have the jeweler I mentioned earlier order a small selection of sapphires (4-5) to choose from once the setting arrives so hopefully finding a good fit won't be a problem.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1446745649|3946049 said:
I've had several cabochons mounted in prong settings, and I suggest not only using much longer prongs, but thicker ones as well. Here's two of mine, and the prongs on the smaller stone are holding really well, but I have to already get the other stone's prongs tightened. I wish I told my jeweler "thicker" prongs.

TL I have to briefly "thread jack" to ask where you got your moonstones? I've been lusting after ones like yours, but the ones I keep seeing don't have that blue sheen to them and just don't look as nice.

Zaffiro

Rough_Rock

Here is the semi mount I've bought.

_35165.jpg

_35166.jpg

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock

lovedogs|1446757667|3946107 said:
TL|1446745649|3946049 said:

TL I have to briefly "thread jack" to ask where you got your moonstones? I've been lusting after ones like yours, but the ones I keep seeing don't have that blue sheen to them and just don't look as nice.

Seconded. TL, your moonstones are beyond belief beautiful, I've rarely been so mesmerized by anything! /swoon

Sorry for the threadjack, Zaffiro!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Zaffiro|1446793910|3946234 said:
Here is the semi mount I've bought.

Beautiful semi-mount. Elegant unique and classic in a modern and fresh way.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do note that coloured stones are always deeper than diamonds, so double check that it fits. If you like, the CS posters here would love to help you find your sapphire too. :naughty:

Zaffiro

Rough_Rock

Thank you, Acinom. I hope the wife agrees with you :) . I am strangely confident that she will though!

Chrono, thank you for the heads up. At the moment I am thinking to take the semi mount to the jeweller's as soon as it arrives and have them order a few stones to choose from so I'm hoping they will consider all these aspects I wouldn't even know to think about. They actually really liked the semi mount too when I showed them the photos, and apparently it was a steal for what I paid for it, too (which is almost embarrassingly little, but hope it'll impress the wife and make her less anxious about what I will probably be spending for the sapphire).

Zaffiro

Rough_Rock

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help and post a couple of pictures of the finished ring (which the wife loved by the way :) ) tmp_15484-fotor_1449488556665201766417891.jpg
tmp_15484-fotor_144948829067316-1465218570.jpg

The stone is a 1,55 carat heated sapphire, chosen unknowingly by the wife (I asked a friend to take her to the jeweller's to pick a stone for her (the friend).

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Beautiful!

Kilda

Rough_Rock

it looks lovely, and what a clever way to get her to pick out a stone she would love. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Perfection! :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a stunning result. I can see why she loves her new ring. It looks fabulous on her hand: very elegant in a unique way. Congrats!!!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

It's beautiful! :appl: Well done! :clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results