shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone tell me where I can find out about this ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

4ets

Rough_Rock
It was my great grandmother''s. It is an old mine cut (will have it appraised in February) 18K white gold...but it doesn''t affect my skin, so I don''t know how it could have nickel in it. I believe she bought it between 1920 to 1925 because white gold wasn''t made much before 1920 and mine cuts pretty much stopped after ''25. What I''d really like to know is the company. It says G*M*Co 18K on the inside. The funny thing was I rested my head on my hand tonight and realized I could watch the tv perfectly in my diamond, LOL.

4etring1.jpg

4ets

Rough_Rock
Another pic

4etring2.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think allergy to white gold with nickel content is anywhere as widespread as platinum marketing campaigns have established. So... no wonder you are fine with it.

The main diamond looks very round - that would make it an old brilliant (or even a modern one, judging by the looks) and it wouldn''t be unusual that the main stone is changed in an old ring.

Sorry I can''t help with the maker''s ID.

Regardless of history, it is a lovely ring
1.gif
Thanks for posting !

4ets

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I did have a jeweler (my mom did too before she died) confirm that it is an old miners cut. I thought it looked too round, but on close examination, they confirmed it. I don''t have the money yet to do a full appraisal but I''ve been told I need to do it soon. I was worried that the stone had been changed (because Mama used to borrow money on it), so I took it to a diamond jeweler.

I wondered about the nickel. I break out with costume jewelry and watches, but it could be something else in those.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2005 1:02:14 AM
Author:4ets
It was my great grandmother''s. It is an old mine cut (will have it appraised in February) 18K white gold...but it doesn''t affect my skin, so I don''t know how it could have nickel in it. I believe she bought it between 1920 to 1925 because white gold wasn''t made much before 1920 and mine cuts pretty much stopped after ''25. What I''d really like to know is the company. It says G*M*Co 18K on the inside. The funny thing was I rested my head on my hand tonight and realized I could watch the tv perfectly in my diamond, LOL.
It is a very neat ring, but what do you mean you could watch television in your diamond? Could you see right through it?

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Since you can watch tv through it, then it probably is a miner cut. Because a customer told me that he and his gf were looking at estate piece for her ering and the jeweler told him that if they hold a miner cut diamond in the sunlight, there would a bright white spot of light in the center on the floor. The jeweler explains that the center of the miner cut let light go right through instead of reflecting them.

ilovetruffles

Rough_Rock
antique rings .com

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful, rich-in-history and sentimental piece you have! Please do come back and tell us what the appraiser said, I would be greatly interested
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results