shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone offer appraisal advice? Pleeeeze!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whodat

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''ve been reading a bit and know that getting an estimate on a stone without someone looking at it is not the best way to go. Nevertheless, I was hoping I could get an idea...

My girlfriend wants to get rid of an old diamond.

This is what she knows about it:
- the stone was purchased for around 28k wholesale about 10ys ago
- 3.81 TCW
- G
- SI1
- Round Brilliant cut

She lost the certificate years ago, but would like to put this piece on consignment in a jewelry store.

If anyone can give a ballpark estimate as to what something like this may be worth, that would be great.

Once again, I know it''s not easy without seeing the stone, but a general idea would help. I plan on getting it appraised by an independent appraiser, but that won''t be until after Christmas.

Thanks in advance!
Bugs

whodat

Rough_Rock
Would selling on consignment at a local jewelry store be a better idea?

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 12/11/2003 6:50:51 PM whodat wrote:

Hi all,

I've been reading a bit and know that getting an estimate on a stone without someone looking at it is not the best way to go. Nevertheless, I was hoping I could get an idea...

My girlfriend wants to get rid of an old diamond.

This is what she knows about it:
- the stone was purchased for around 28k wholesale about 10ys ago
- 3.81 TCW
- G
- SI1
- Round Brilliant cut

She lost the certificate years ago, but would like to put this piece on consignment in a jewelry store.

If anyone can give a ballpark estimate as to what something like this may be worth, that would be great.

Once again, I know it's not easy without seeing the stone, but a general idea would help. I plan on getting it appraised by an independent appraiser, but that won't be until after Christmas.

Thanks in advance!
Bugs----------------

If she lost the certificate, it might be worthwhile to have it recertified.

How many diamonds are in the stone? "TCW" indicates that there are multiple diamonds and the total weight of all diamonds is 3.81. If that is a mistake, and there is a single 3.81 ct stone, then a pricescope search of G SI1 round diamonds between 3.5 and 4 ct pulls up a single stone. The internet retail price on that single stone (3.53 ct) ranges from $33,700 to $36,400.

whodat

Rough_Rock
Thanks Caratz,

It is one stone... I am not too familiar with the terminology.
wink2.gif

If the stone gets certified, is it plausible to ask that much for it? She was thinking closer to the 10K range. I think that's way too low, so I'm doing some research on her behalf.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Again!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If it's a decent cut (class 2 or better) you should be able to realize 27,000 - 28,000 for the stone, with the jeweler making his profit on top of that.

If it's an off make (class 4A perhaps), you might only be able to realize $22,000.

It would be a good idea to have it appraised by a professional before shaking hands on a price.

The figures mentioned are presuming that the diamond is correctly graded, along the lines of a GIA or AGS certificate.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results