shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone identify a strange orange subtance set behind diamond???

Richard Harris

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi, I've just joined the forum.

I recently purchased a diamond ring and is has a strange hard orange substance set behind the stone. It doesn't seem to effect the colour of the stone from the front and it looks like it's intended to be there. It doesn't seem to be the result of some kind of bodged repair either? I'd love an answer to this so I can explain to a potential customer. many thanks, Richard.

SH4937 - 5.jpg SH4937 - 1.jpg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have seen a polymer back filler in a couple rings made of silver, but not gold or platinum. There is evidence in your photos that the ring is hand assembled, or even hand made, and not just a 1 piece casting. I doubt you'd see any difference if you picked out the filler. It just might be an accumulation of dirt, etc that never was washed out. Put it in an ultrasonic and see what happens.

Richard Harris

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have seen a polymer back filler in a couple rings made of silver, but not gold or platinum. There is evidence in your photos that the ring is hand assembled, or even hand made, and not just a 1 piece casting. I doubt you'd see any difference if you picked out the filler. It just might be an accumulation of dirt, etc that never was washed out. Put it in an ultrasonic and see what happens.

Thank you for your opinion Oldminer, much appreciated. It's pretty solid in there, I don't think it's dirt etc. The polymer seems to be a pretty good answer though.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Is the cavity completely filled with the substance? If so, ive never seen a dirt build up that bad lol. It must b put there on purpose.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No expert, here!! Just want to tell you what this looks like to MY eyes, based upon the photo provided.
Yellow gold.
It looks like yellow gold. Unpolished, yellow gold.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
No expert, here!! Just want to tell you what this looks like to MY eyes, based upon the photo provided.
Yellow gold.

Oh! is that an illusion bc it looks see thru, rather than opaque.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I'll say it...this is bizarre lol! It looks like some kind of hardened gel. Seems somewhat transparent because you can see the light coming in from the diamond. I can't imagine why this would be put there.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where’d you buy it? Might you ask the seller?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have seen similar when someone was working with chemicals and the open area were trapping them against their skin and causing issues so a jeweler filled the void with epoxy.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen similar when someone was working with chemicals and the open area were trapping them against their skin and causing issues so a jeweler filled the void with epoxy.

Wow that makes sense. My husband gets contact dermatitis from water and the soap at the hospital he works at getting caught under his ring. Is this a good idea?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow that makes sense. My husband gets contact dermatitis from water and the soap at the hospital he works at getting caught under his ring. Is this a good idea?

It worked for at least one person.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ah this makes sense, I think we have an answer!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think the epoxy was originally that color or has it been turned orange/brown by age, exposure to products etc? It seems a clear epoxy would have been preferable.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you think the epoxy was originally that color or has it been turned orange/brown by age, exposure to products etc? It seems a clear epoxy would have been preferable.
Many of the clear epoxies are not rated for skin contact even when cured but many clear when first cured epoxies quickly color so impossible to say.
It also looks like it was not put in a vacuum chamber to remove the bubbles before it was used.
Since most jewelers are not epoxy experts so that is to be expected and makes me lean even more to it being epoxy.

edit.. something(epoxy coated paper?) could have been put in there to keep the epoxy off the diamond adding color.

Last edited:

Richard Harris

Rough_Rock
Trade
Is the cavity completely filled with the substance? If so, ive never seen a dirt build up that bad lol. It must b put there on purpose.

Hi, yes it's completely filled, I'm pretty sure it's not dirt build up.

Richard Harris

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yellow gold.

Hi, thank you, however I'm sure it's not metal, it has a rough hardened resin feel to it.

Richard Harris

Rough_Rock
Trade

That's a really good point, it did cross my mind that what ever it is may have "gone off" over the years.

Richard Harris

Rough_Rock
Trade
Many of the clear epoxies are not rated for skin contact even when cured but many clear when first cured epoxies quickly color so impossible to say.
It also looks like it was not put in a vacuum chamber to remove the bubbles before it was used.
Since most jewelers are not epoxy experts so that is to be expected and makes me lean even more to it being epoxy.

edit.. something(epoxy coated paper?) could have been put in there to keep the epoxy off the diamond adding color.

I think it may have made sense for the top to be foiled perhaps, then it would have reflected the light, but it's orange all the way through, no foil or similar.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were mine, I would very gently pick it out with a needle or sharp tweezers.
Using a loupe, and without scratching the metal, of course.
It will probably come out in one chunk, anyway.
It does indeed look like old epoxy, Perhaps the diamond was loose and a previous owner thought that would be the solution, who knows?
It wouldn't be the first time a lay person tried to fix fine jewelry with glue!

Richard Harris

Rough_Rock
Trade
If it were mine, I would very gently pick it out with a needle or sharp tweezers.
Using a loupe, and without scratching the metal, of course.
It will probably come out in one chunk, anyway.
It does indeed look like old epoxy, Perhaps the diamond was loose and a previous owner thought that would be the solution, who knows?
It wouldn't be the first time a lay person tried to fix fine jewelry with glue!

I think this is going to go off to our jeweller to get removed, seems like the easiest solution! Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results