shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone help me price this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

addiction

Rough_Rock

Hi all,

newbie here but I have been lurking for a while.... the moment is getting closer and I just saw this beautiful ring today...I''m 90% decided to buy it, I think my wife to be will absolutely fall in love with the ring (and me all over again.. :) ).... I guess the 10% indecision factor is my inexperience in buying such beautiful works of art as diamonds are and, unfortunately, the price.... So, I was wondering if anyone would be able to appraise this ring before I buy it... Here are the details:

Shape: Round
Cut: Brilliant
Measurements: 6.92 x 6.97 x 4.27
Carat: 1.25
Color: H
Fluorescence: None
Precision of cut: Excellent
Symetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 61.5%
Table: 56%
Crown: 15.6%
Crown Angle: 34.7%
Pavilion Depth: 43.2%
Pailion Angle: 40.8%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half Length: 80%
Girdle: Medium - Slightly Thick
Girdle Finish: Faceted
Cullet : None

It ranks 1.4 - Excellent on HCA.

I really appreciate all the great info and insight this community offers and allows anyone to gain such "secret" knowledge of this industry (the salesperson was a little intimidated today... :) )

Thanks,
Dan

addiction

Rough_Rock

Thanks diamondseeker2006 for your reply...

The diamond you pointed out seems to be comparable, Ideal cut, 1.5 HCA. Any idea why it ranks "only" 4 stars on WF?

Looks like mounted will be around 10k, "roughly" the quote I got today in store... well... I must confess, mine is a Tiffany, and the price tag is 14k... now I''m really undecided... is it worth the 40% mark-up? (obviously this is a self-addressed question)

Thanks.

addiction

Rough_Rock
here is a BAD picture I managed to snap with my phone... apparently you can''t take pictures of gems in a Tiffany store....

AddictionIMG0027.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2008 8:31:51 PM
Author: addiction

Thanks diamondseeker2006 for your reply...

The diamond you pointed out seems to be comparable, Ideal cut, 1.5 HCA. Any idea why it ranks ''only'' 4 stars on WF?

Looks like mounted will be around 10k, ''roughly'' the quote I got today in store... well... I must confess, mine is a Tiffany, and the price tag is 14k... now I''m really undecided... is it worth the 40% mark-up? (obviously this is a self-addressed question)

Thanks.

WF only gives their "A Cut Above" diamonds 5 stars. However, some (but not all!) of their "Expert Selection" diamonds are diamonds that missed the super strict ACA designation by a smidge, so they end up in ES.

Only you can decide if Tiffany is worth the mark up. There have been zillions of threads debating just that. You should think about what your girlfriend would prefer-the Tiffany name or a bigger stone for the same money. My answer would be: bigger diamond! But only you know what your girlfriend would prefer!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2008 9:11:29 PM
Author: thing2of2

WF only gives their ''A Cut Above'' diamonds 5 stars. However, some (but not all!) of their ''Expert Selection'' diamonds are diamonds that missed the super strict ACA designation by a smidge, so they end up in ES.

Only you can decide if Tiffany is worth the mark up. There have been zillions of threads debating just that. You should think about what your girlfriend would prefer-the Tiffany name or a bigger stone for the same money. My answer would be: bigger diamond! But only you know what your girlfriend would prefer!
I agree; the one Diamonseeker posted is beautiful and you need to decide if Tiffany''s is worth the mark up. My answer would be bigger diamond too, but it is up to your girlfriend. Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

addiction

Rough_Rock

thing2of2, she would definitely prefer Tiffany. Now that I have a benchmark diamond, I have looked around on WF, oldgold and even signed up for the Rapaport auction, and without making this another post about Tiffany, I feel extremely comfortable being shielded by their brand, name and reputation for what seems to be "only" 20% - 30% markup... not to say that 2k-3k are disposable $$ or that any other jeweler wouldn''t sell what they say they sell, but I confess even after spending hours learning about diamonds, I can''t tell the difference between G and H, nor can I see inclusion or say for sure that one stone is bigger or not... obviously, not 1ct to 2 ct, I''m not blind, just color-blind...... also, buying diamonds online, after all the advice from pro''s around here that ultimately the stone needs to be seen to get and good picture of it''s worth, I''m more inclined to go ahead with Tiffany.

With all that being said, add no interest financing, the rebate check (thanks papa Bush) and I feel a little more comfortable with being parted with 14k... mhm 13.4k that is…I bet this will help the economy :)

addiction

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/21/2008 9:24:55 PM
Author: Skippy123

WF only gives their ''A Cut Above'' diamonds 5 stars. However, some (but not all!) of their ''Expert Selection'' diamonds are diamonds that missed the super strict ACA designation by a smidge, so they end up in ES.

I agree; the one Diamonseeker posted is beautiful and you need to decide if Tiffany''s is worth the mark up. My answer would be bigger diamond too, but it is up to your girlfriend. Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

the Tiffany stone is comparable to an ACA, right?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2008 9:40:41 PM
Author: addiction

Date: 5/21/2008 9:24:55 PM
Author: Skippy123

WF only gives their 'A Cut Above' diamonds 5 stars. However, some (but not all!) of their 'Expert Selection' diamonds are diamonds that missed the super strict ACA designation by a smidge, so they end up in ES.

I agree; the one Diamonseeker posted is beautiful and you need to decide if Tiffany's is worth the mark up. My answer would be bigger diamond too, but it is up to your girlfriend. Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

the Tiffany stone is comparable to an ACA, right?
The Tiffany diamond in question has excellent proportions, but it may not be cut to quite such precision which is typical of the ACA possibly, you can read more here.

http://www.pricescope.com/hearts_indx.asp

addiction

Rough_Rock
lorelei, i know you can''t do much now when the stone is mounted to understand the actual properties of the stone, but do you know if the Tiffany briliant cut would look similar to HA on the idealscope?

Even though Tiffany puts their brand behind their internal lab reports when they say that the cut is excellent, I was wondering if any proffessional cutter on this forum ever looked at their cut and report and could confirm if that rock was at standard or higher than other comparable stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results