shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone help me identify this old ring? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Mama Mander

Rough_Rock
This is my late father in-laws ring, my husband has worn it everyday since he passed. We've always been curious about the history of this ring, we know nothing about it. It could have possibly belonged to my husband's grandfather and passed down, we have no idea. Please help point me in the right direction to learn about this beautiful ring! 20230104_230026.jpg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful carved ring. I think they are called Intaglio rings. I’m thinking it’s lapis lazuli? There are many others who are more knowledgeable than me-hopefully they will chime in.

Does the ring have any hallmarks? If so, maybe post the pics of those and people can help you identify when/ where the ring was made.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any marks on the inside of the band?

It appears to be a lapis intaglio ring of a Roman soldier or warrior, definitely old.

Mama Mander

Rough_Rock
Beautiful carved ring. I think they are called Intaglio rings. I’m thinking it’s lapis lazuli? There are many others who are more knowledgeable than me-hopefully they will chime in.

Does the ring have any hallmarks? If so, maybe post the pics of those and people can help you identify when/ where the ring was made.

Thank you for mkkk

Thank you for responding! I've been researching intaglio rings and have found sooooooo much lol. Any idea how I could determine the kind of stone? I was wondering if it could be lapis lazuli, someone else mentioned it looked like blue glass and my hubby is certain it's sapphire.
I can't see any markings on the inside of the band, I'll go take some pics to share with you. Thanks again for your help!

Mama Mander

Rough_Rock
Are there any marks on the inside of the band?

It appears to be a lapis intaglio ring of a Roman soldier or warrior, definitely old.

No markings I've found, I'll post some pics momentarily. Can I ask (politely) what makes you believe it's lapis? I know that was a common stone used to create Intaglio rings, but others have mentioned blue glass and sapphire. Any thoughts? Thanks again for your help!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No markings I've found, I'll post some pics momentarily. Can I ask (politely) what makes you believe it's lapis? I know that was a common stone used to create Intaglio rings, but others have mentioned blue glass and sapphire. Any thoughts? Thanks again for your help!

Lapis was a pretty common stone used during this time period for this style of ring. IMO it is too opaque to be sapphire but anything is possible.

I’m no expert and my advice is free, so that’s about what it’s worth. Maybe have a gemologist take a look and you could gain more useful knowledge about the stone. It is really hard to make a determination about gemstones online.

Mama Mander

Rough_Rock
What time period would this type of ring? I've gotten a lot of different answers from the ol Google.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
What time period would this type of ring? I've gotten a lot of different answers from the ol Google.

Hallmarks (marks on the inside of the band) would be useful to pinpoint the time period.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Intaglios have been around for thousands of years!

In your case it could be anywhere from the 1920's(?) on if you think a grandfather possibly wore it first. You can somewhat guess using his age. Without identifying marks it can only be a wild guess unless you take it to an appraiser who will have much more expertise in dating, manufacture etc.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is glass. A pic of the underside of the ring and stone might help.

Crochet_Sparkles

Rough_Rock

The color is right for lapis, it was a common stone for intaglios, and sapphire is not typically used for intaglios; for one thing, it's so hard that doing detailed carving is quite difficult (moh's of 9 instead of the 5-6 of lapis). For another, it's much more expensive.

Mama Mander

Rough_Rock
Hallmarks (marks on the inside of the band) would be useful to pinpoint the time period.

Sorry for the delay, I truly appreciate your help. I'll post some pics in my reply. I ran some pictures through a rock identifying app and got some different results lol the face of the ring was said to be glass but I also ran a pic of the underside and it came up as sapphire. I'm so confused lol 20230111_160057.jpg 20230111_160041.jpg

Attachments

• 20230111_160050.jpg
    20230111_160050.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230111-225526.jpg
    Screenshot_20230111-225526.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230111-225455.jpg
    Screenshot_20230111-225455.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 8

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its quite a cool looking ring
i like the chunkiness of it
i hope you are going to wear it

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a little difficult to tell from the pics, but it looks like the underside has facets. If this is correct then it may be a gem instead of glass as glass intaglios are usually smooth on the underside. It’s a nice ring and my curiosity is peaked.

Mama Mander

Rough_Rock
It’s a little difficult to tell from the pics, but it looks like the underside has facets. If this is correct then it may be a gem instead of glass as glass intaglios are usually smooth on the underside. It’s a nice ring and my curiosity is peaked.

It does have facets on the underside! It was hard to get a pic of that!! Thank you for mentioning that!! Any idea what gem it may be?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
What a handsome ring and wonderful way for your husband to honor and remember his father. It's unlikely to be lapis because it's too translucent and too uniform. Lapis is made up of different minerals and you would see variation in the colors and textures. Other possibilities include blue (dyed) agate and some sort of synthetic. Photo apps won't tell you because they're just going by visual appearance, and different gems can look similar. You may have to take it to someone who can check it out in person. Do you live in an area where there's a jewelry store with a gemologist--not just a chain store with sales staff, but someone with training in identifying gemstones?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some pawn shops also have the equipment needed to positively identify most gemstones, and will do so for a fairly small charge (I paid $40 several years ago).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results