shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone find me better???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hodne

Rough_Rock
Can anyone find me a better stone than this at GOG: http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_60ct_d_if__h&a.htm
The diamond may not be bigger than 1.6 and not smaller than 1.4.
Thanks!
1.gif

Hodne

Rough_Rock
This one looks nice: http://www.icestore.com.au/catalog/diamond_info.php?catnum=YL%200012B&action=add_product_list
A little bit small though and price is quite high. Waiting for more info.
1.gif

Any comments on this one??

Mexi

Shiny_Rock
When you say BETTER - do you mean a better price?

Hodne

Rough_Rock
No, better cut, performance... I know its probably a longshot, but I just want to find out what is out there before i buy.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hodne.....I don't know how you can conclusively determine that the cut of the stone at IceStore is better from the information given.

There are no crown/pavilion angles listed here. You need those to determine how cut the stone is.

Also, if your carat range is 1.4 to 1.6 ... concretely....then this stone shouldn't even be under consideration....it's below your floor weight.

Also, keep in mind that this is an australian web site, so I'd imagine the price you're seeing is Aussie dollars, which should translate to less in US dollars.

To me, it looks like the GOG stone is everything you could possibly want....everything you've said you want. What is it that you feel is lacking in this stone?

srgone

Rough_Rock
Hodne, have you actually seen any stone in person with the characteristics you are looking for, especially the H&A cut? I am asking because I did purchase a H&A cut from Whiteflash before ever seeing one in person and can honestly say that it was twice as beautiful as I even imagined and the most beautiful diamond I have ever seen.

I looked at the GOG stone and would be willing to bet that it is as close to perfect as you are going to find without paying any extra cash by getting someone to make you something to satisfy your paper and mental criteria. You seem obsessed with perfection and as many have told you before, when it comes to diamonds, you might have to spend in the millions to get it.
I would also guarantee that if you see the stone in person you would agree that you have never seen any diamond so beautiful in your life.

I am speaking from going through what you are now and wanting the most perfect diamond that I could get for my money. I ended up spending a little more than I wanted to by buying a H&A cut and lowering my size, color and clarity requirements at the recommendation of the wonderful people on this board. What I bought was what I believe is the most gorgeous brilliant diamond that I have ever seen, period. I work near jewlers row, here in Philly and still would bet that it is more beautiful than any diamond around here, within the size range, regardless of price.

Also keep in mind, in grading diamonds that much of it is judgemental in the sense that the computers that measure and the eyes that grade color and clarity can vary. For example, the certification for my stone graded it as an SI1 and two independant local experts said they were nuts and called it a VS2. I feel that the only person that will tell you that whatever diamond you purchase is 100% perfect is the person who cuts it. Do yourself a favor and don't pay someone a premium to hear what you want to hear. You are as fortunate as I was to stumble across this site and get advise from experts who are not looking to profit from you. Take advatange of it.

Trust me, if you were take the GOG stone and put it next to another stone that you may pay an extra $5 to $10K more to have specially made with the criteria you have set and you had to choose between the two which was the custom stone, you would have a 50-50 chance of getting it right. It is impossible for you or any diamond expert to distinguish the two by looking at them.

I perfectly understand where you are coming from, but I honestly feel that you are torturing yourself for no reason. Do yourself a favor and take a look in person of a couple of stones that are even close to what you are looking for, it may make your decision easier.

Good Luck
Sergio

Hodne

Rough_Rock
aljdewey: I am waiting for more info. on this stone. Just want to check it out since I came across it.
About the carat weight. This is where I would like to be, but there will be a little room for flex. here depending on the rock.
How nice, Aussie $$$
3.gif

I am not going to argue with you. The GOG stone is all i could ever want and it has not been ruled out. Its actually at the top of my list, but if there is a stone out there with an extra very high+ and tiny bit smaller depth% I want to know about it and it might change my mind.
The search for a diamond like this is not an overnight process, I think.
I will make a trip to compare and select a diamond in january , but i have to have a couple of candidates first and thats why I need your help.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Hodne,

In your quest for the perfect D/IF diamond, you'll fast come to understand that ultimately it is only you that can decide whether a diamond is better than another. There are personal preferences that must be taken into consideration.

If you are eliciting help in finding diamonds that meet your criteria, that is one thing; but if you are asking help in finding a better diamond then it is impossible to do since the other folks don't know exactly what would please your eyes nor your sense of what a perfect diamond may be.

D/IF diamonds are hard to come by especially at the size range that you are considering. The GOG diamond that you have identified is an exceptional performer - please clue us in as to what you believe are crieria that would make a better diamond then perhaps it will be easier to assist you.

rodent.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 12/2/2003 3:09:26 PM Hodne wrote:

The search for a diamond like this is not an overnight process, I think.
----------------

(with a wry smile)......Hodne, believe me.....I can empathize. In fact, I'd say that the search for ANY diamond is not an overnight process. It's so much easier to remain objective about someone else's purchases than it is to be objective about your own!

I'm in the midst of shopping......I've lived, eaten, slept, and breathed it for more than a week now, and I'm still not at the finish line!

Let us know how we can help, if at all.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I did a search and found a 1.41 carat Signature Series AGSL ID/ID at Blue Nile. Abazia's has a 1.5 carat GIA EX/EX also. Those were the only 2 I found.

You will need to get crown and pavillion angles to further evaluate the CUT and quality of make on both. If you want the complete analysis that Jonathan provides at Good Old Gold, you'd have to send either one to an independent appraiser for evaluation.

It's not much, but at least it's couple more to consider.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results