shape
carat
color
clarity

Can an O-P be coaxed into being a yellow diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
What do you guys think? I''m imagining this in a yellow gold solitaire mounting with diamonds on the shank. Will the yellow gold of the setting and the contrast to the white diamonds on the shank be enough of a contrast to make the impression of a nice yellow-y diamond?

It seems to me that its in a funky middle ground...

I''m not really trying to increase its value by calling it a fancy yellow rather than an O-P, rather, I''d like to play up its warmth in the most effective way possible. I haven''t bought it yet, but its the same size as the ruby from Barry, so I think it would be fun to buy this stone for my mom so we could have matching rings.

11tbl.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe a a light yellow (S thru Z) would be better enhanced by a yellow gold bezel, but I think that's really too pale to be enhanced by yellow gold. I think it would look better in white metal. I would play up it's whiteness by maybe getting some side champagnes instead. I could see the champagnes in rose gold and this diamond in the center in white gold.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
If I went with a white gold three stone setting, are there any colored stones that can help cancel out the warmth of this diamond? Something violet, or blue? Maybe amethysts?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably something cool like in the blue or green family. Small tsavorites maybe?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s going to look like anything but a warm white diamond, no matter what metal you set it in.

It might look beautiful, but it will look like an O/P: yellowish in some lighting, whitish in other lighting.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
In that case, I''d probably rather go with a solitaire setting...

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Can''t say it would work for sure, but a yellow gold bezel, and a side halo of some yellow stones (side halo meaning that they''re not visible from the top, but rather make a circle around the base of the setting) might help. Those stones would cast some yellow light inside the setting so they might make the stone seem more yellow, but if they''d be visible from the top then the O-P might seem less yellow when compared to them.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The answer is probably yes. I've got a number of O-Ps and I've mounted them in yellow gold. They look a delightful vanilla colour. If you set in white gold they actually look a very odd colour - neither here nor there. A yellow bezel would be great but if you don't like bezels then a normal prong setting will also do the trick.

Who graded it as an O-P? The reason I'm asking is that if it's a GIA O-P then so are mine. If it's a seller's grade of O-P then maybe not. It looks very much like a diamond from one of the vendors who posts on this site? If so then I'd say his O-Ps are spot on. Perhaps ask for his opinion?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a P so you can see for yourself:

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Honestly, instead of trying to cover up the yellow (it will always look yellow, cant hide it) make the yellow pop and use it to your advantage!

A pink gold setting with white diamonds down the shank would look beautiful!

I have a .25ct z color diamond, and I am doing that with it. I think it will look like a banana split!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds, your pear looks lovely in that setting--it''s a beautiful golden color.

But pears retain color better than rounds, so it probably looks yellower than a round P.

What color is the round in that shot?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
When I bought my Infinity S, I asked about the same thing--how to make it look its yellowest. Wink and others advised me to set it in white metal for contrast; he said gold would mask the yellow in the diamond. I chose silver, which is the whitest of the white metals.

Sometimes it looks very white:

I1Shand13.jpg

I1Shand1.jpg

Sometimes it looks distinctly yellow:

I1Sarrows9.jpg

juliaI1S14.jpg

But it never looks like a colorless diamond or a fancy yellow.

I think with these low color diamonds you just have to embrace their changeability.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
An O-P is not always because the diamond is slightly yellow. It could be a light brown diamond. You''ve probably already checked, but I just wanted to mention in case others are looking for warmer diamond colors.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2009 12:00:47 PM
Author: glitterata
LovingDiamonds, your pear looks lovely in that setting--it's a beautiful golden color.

But pears retain color better than rounds, so it probably looks yellower than a round P.

No idea! I had it set in white gold and have regretted it bitterly. It's wiped out some of the yellow and made it look cold. This should have been set in yellow gold.

I think it depends on the actual amount of yellow the diamond is showing as to what metal is going to look right.

Your diamond (and ring) is lovely btw! Did you want to eliminate the yellow? I think I would have wanted to enhance it as the photo inside the book looks a gorgeous vanilla colour.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 8:49:33 AM
Author: Tropicgal10
Honestly, instead of trying to cover up the yellow (it will always look yellow, cant hide it) make the yellow pop and use it to your advantage!

A pink gold setting with white diamonds down the shank would look beautiful!

I have a .25ct z color diamond, and I am doing that with it. I think it will look like a banana split!
I AGREE!Make the color work for you!I would put that stone in a white metal setting and surround it with white diamonds to show off and frame the color!Warm diamonds get a bad rap and after a certain point the color dosnt matter(if its an O or a Z)the color is obvious and should be showed off to its best advantage espesially if the stone is well cut and really sparkles and enhances the yellow body color!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 12:24:27 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Date: 11/29/2009 12:00:47 PM

Author: glitterata

LovingDiamonds, your pear looks lovely in that setting--it''s a beautiful golden color.

No idea! I had it set in white gold and have regretted it bitterly. It''s wiped out some of the yellow and made it look cold. This should have been set in yellow gold.

I think it depends on the actual amount of yellow the diamond is showing as to what metal is going to look right.

Your diamond (and ring) is lovely btw! Did you want to eliminate the yellow? I think I would have wanted to enhance it as the photo inside the book looks a gorgeous vanilla colour.

Thank you. I was trying to enhance the yellow. I was told a white metal would make the yellow stand out in contrast. And when I sat the diamond next to yellow gold jewelry, it did look whiter.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tough one. Have you placed it next to both a yellow and white metal? It seems like it''s borderline; I''ve seen them in both yellow and white metals. It doesn''t quite look like a yellow diamond but there''s still a good bit of yellow in it. Like vanilla, as mentioned above.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Q and it was suggested to me that I set it in a yellow gold head with a white gold shank, and I really liked that idea. But.....I saw a Q (I''m pretty sure it was on GoodOldGold, but possibly on Wink''s) that was set in a yellow gold halo with small white diamonds. It had a "cup" of yellow gold under the Q diamond, and that stone looked really, really yellow. So I''m going to try all yellow gold & white diamond accents.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions!

Ma Re and TL- Hehe, your advice conflicts!

Chrono- I haven''t bought the diamond yet, so I haven''t been able to place it next to wg or yg to see how it looks.

Gliteratta- Thank you so much for your pictures! Your diamond is gorgeous; I remember seeing the SMTR thread. I love that S! Also, you make a good point that pears will retain more color than rounds, so this round should look a little lighter in color.

LD- Its from a vendor that a lot of PS''ers use and I think he grades very fairly. I appreciate your pictures as well! I love the vanilla color of your pear. It reminds me of soft lace or eggshells. I read in the other thread about yellow diamonds that you said the sparkle would not be the same as from a colorless diamond. Can you elaborate on that? I think I know what you mean but I''m not positive.

Demon- Framing the underside with a cup of yellow gold is a very interesting idea!

Fly Girl- You''re correct, my O-P might end up more brownish than yellowish. I have a pinkish-champagne diamond that I love, but I''m not sure what I''ll think of this one in person. I''ve really liked a K''s that I''ve seen, but I haven''t seen anything below that in person.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2009 1:05:39 PM
Author: szh07

Chrono- I haven''t bought the diamond yet, so I haven''t been able to place it next to wg or yg to see how it looks.

Gliteratta- Thank you so much for your pictures! Your diamond is gorgeous; I remember seeing the SMTR thread. I love that S! Also, you make a good point that pears will retain more color than rounds, so this round should look a little lighter in color.

LD- Its from a vendor that a lot of PS''ers use and I think he grades very fairly. I appreciate your pictures as well! I love the vanilla color of your pear. It reminds me of soft lace or eggshells. I read in the other thread about yellow diamonds that you said the sparkle would not be the same as from a colorless diamond. Can you elaborate on that? I think I know what you mean but I''m not positive.

Demon- Framing the underside with a cup of yellow gold is a very interesting idea!

Fly Girl- You''re correct, my O-P might end up more brownish than yellowish. I have a pinkish-champagne diamond that I love, but I''m not sure what I''ll think of this one in person. I''ve really liked a K''s that I''ve seen, but I haven''t seen anything below that in person.
This is really difficult to explain and I hope somebody else will chime in. I''ll try my best but you may need to use your imagination and fill in the gaps lol ...........

Take the pear above. It looks fairly "flat" in the photos doesn''t it? IRL this sparkles and glints. Not in the way that a white diamond does where you see a rainbow of fire when it glints. This glints in different levels of yellow so you don''t see a kaleidoscope of colour but you do see yellow glitter. This is fairly typical of a lighter yellow diamond from my experience.

The round brilliant above has much less lustre/glitter. It''s a pretty stone but you see it''s overall colour rather than fire. This is not a well cut stone which probably has something to do with it.

In the radiant (did I post that above or in the other thread?) it reacts very much like the pear in that it glittera but no real rainbow type fire.

Now then, my chameleon (also a radiant cut) has so much fire I can''t tell you!!! Have you seen a Sphene? Well the chameleon has fire like a Sphene. I think this is because it''s colour is much darker than the above yellows.

I have many yellow diamonds and I would say that on the whole the lighter ones glitter. White diamonds seem to have much more colour in their fire.

I hope that helps!

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 3:15:14 PM

Date: 11/30/2009 1:05:39 PM
Author: szh07

This is really difficult to explain and I hope somebody else will chime in. I''ll try my best but you may need to use your imagination and fill in the gaps lol ...........

Take the pear above. It looks fairly ''flat'' in the photos doesn''t it? IRL this sparkles and glints. Not in the way that a white diamond does where you see a rainbow of fire when it glints. This glints in different levels of yellow so you don''t see a kaleidoscope of colour but you do see yellow glitter. This is fairly typical of a lighter yellow diamond from my experience.

The round brilliant above has much less lustre/glitter. It''s a pretty stone but you see it''s overall colour rather than fire. This is not a well cut stone which probably has something to do with it.

In the radiant (did I post that above or in the other thread?) it reacts very much like the pear in that it glittera but no real rainbow type fire.

Now then, my chameleon (also a radiant cut) has so much fire I can''t tell you!!! Have you seen a Sphene? Well the chameleon has fire like a Sphene. I think this is because it''s colour is much darker than the above yellows.

I have many yellow diamonds and I would say that on the whole the lighter ones glitter. White diamonds seem to have much more colour in their fire.

I hope that helps!
Interesting, because I definitely get fire from my Q - I have one picture of it in the Fire thread on Show Me the Ring with nice green fire. I do think the fire is different than in whiter diamonds, but definitely there.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2009 3:15:14 PM

Take the pear above. It looks fairly ''flat'' in the photos doesn''t it? IRL this sparkles and glints. Not in the way that a white diamond does where you see a rainbow of fire when it glints. This glints in different levels of yellow so you don''t see a kaleidoscope of colour but you do see yellow glitter. This is fairly typical of a lighter yellow diamond from my experience.

I hope that helps!
My new grey green diamond has lots of fire too. Interesting about your chameleon having a lot of fire. Sphene is a good description.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My S has tons of fire. Doesn''t fire depend on the cut, not the color (unless the stone''s very dark)?

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
In my opinion, if you want to enhance the yellow in an O-P diamond, it needs to be surrounded in high karat yellow gold either in 18K or 22K. A YG head in a basket, bezel or halo. Then a white metal shank with white diamond melee will bring a nice contrast.

Or you can contrast it with stones with of a complementary color, like blue. Irradiated blue diamond halo or sidestones (for a 3-stone look) would be a lovely option, though I''m not sure about its availability, pricing or quality. If you like colored gemstones, you can also go with blue sapphire (or other suitable blue stone). The contrast betwen the O-P (yellowish) diamond and blue accent stones will bring out the richness in each other.

I currently own a 2.56 peachy gray diamond with a YG basket and WG shank. The YG goes well with the peachy tone of the diamond without overpowering it. I also have a 3.17 grayish yellowish green diamond currently being set in an 18K Rose Gold head with a platinum shank (with bead-set white diamonds). Again, the need for contrast between the greenish hue of the diamond and the red/pinkish tone of the RG. That sucker should POP! It should be ready by the end of this week.

From my personal experience, both colored diamonds have good fire. My 2.56 has medium orange fluoro, so it kind of glows orangy pink in direct sunlight. My 3.17 is a fireball in direct sunlight! I see flashes of yellow, orange and red. It''s a soft, warm type of fire with hints of the stone''s body color. Then again, I prefer warm and colored diamonds. They''re just so mesmerizing and have such wonderful personalities!

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on!

By the way, TL just had her grayish greenish diamond in 14K Rose Gold and it really enhanced the green color of her stone. It''s beautiful! I''m hoping mine will turn out just as nice as hers.
30.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Platinumrock has some great suggestions, I second that about using YG for the stone and white metal for the shank (it should really create a great contrast and make the stone as yellow as possible), as well as the one about going with complementary sides/accents - those inexpensive, step cut, faint blue aquas could serve the purpose very well (in theory).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results