shape
carat
color
clarity

Can an AGS triple O diamond NOT be pretty?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
What are the chances that a diamond rated by AGS to be a "triple O" for cut would NOT be pretty? Would it be safe to assume that a stone with this cut would autumatically be a good one? Or is this a risk?

I am currently in the market for a new round brilliant to replace my asscher stone.

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Not all AGS 000 are equal and I am pleased so many people are aware of this. There are few AGS 000 dogs because cutters are pretty smart, but every once in a while there is one that proves that the cutter was going for maximum weight, and AGS 0 at the lowest possible quality of cut to still get the high AGS cut grade."

It seems not asscher, this is info I found from one of the PS experts, but I am sure with a combo of crunching the numbers, a vendor's eye and those of your own you will find a good one. Just be discerning as it seems this is the exception to the rule and not the norm, but you are already ahead of the game by asking these questions and not taking it for granted.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Compared to many run of the mill diamonds all AGS 0 cut stones are relatively pretty ones. However, pretty is subjective and not all of us would agree on the prettiest diamond in a group. We all have personal preferences. Within the AGS 0 category is still a range of prettiness. We may have preferences and parametric demands, but which one looks best, is still up to the customer.

Dealers recognize that some AGS 0 cuts are more financially rewarding to cut than others. This leads them, to an extent, in their cutting choices. Some cutters are able to obtain premium prices for their best cutting and these tend to be what they and their customer''s deem the prettiest. Most would agree, but some of us would see it differently. This is not science, but personal taste.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
i think it is unlikely that an ags stone with the new report _ not some of the old ones _ would be anything less than beuatiful _ but as dave says _ there are some people who prefer this look and some for that look> i have tried to predict this difference in nice stones by calling them fic and bic but many people still have no idea what i mean

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
when I upgraded, I looked at only AGS0 stones.
I chose my favorite from my own visual perception alone.

I went for the whitest of the bunch, as they all seemed to sparkle like crazy.

That is what is pretty to me.

When i got home and ran the numbers through the HCA, it got like a 2.4 or something.
My persepctive is that the HCA is a tool to help people who might not have the luxury of looking at a lot of stones before they buy.
It weeds out the dogs.

My AGS0 certainly isn''t a dog! I am color sensitive and this was ocverall the prettiest stone in my budget.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 9:25:10 AM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Under the new AGS grading system, it would be pretty unusual to spot a ''dog'' among the 0''s.
right. asscherisme, make sure you are getting an ags0 with the new light performance grading on the report.
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 9:25:10 AM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Under the new AGS grading system, it would be pretty unusual to spot a ''dog'' among the 0''s.
Emphatically agree!

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
I''d say if you found an AGS000 that was a "dog" that it would probable be an older cert. without the light performance specs. But calling an AGS000 a "dog" isn''t fair. They are all going to be top 2-3% stones regardless of their exact pav/crown angles.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. This is very helpful. I will of couse look at the stone before making a final decision but I''m hoping to be reasonable sure its the one I am going to pick because postage gets very pricey! And so does paying for appraisals on stones I don''t end up buying.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The info I posted came from an older thread from one of the experts here and if you read it he was saying that ONCE IN A WHILE one of these diamonds is cut for weight and may not look as good TO SOME as others with the 000 grade. We have to remember that the experts here are looking at many diamonds and probably the best cut stones available, maybe to them they can discern subtle differences that we can't and a very beautiful diamond might be a " dog" to them whereas to us it probably isn't.
1.gif
What is probably a given is that when you are considering this calibre of diamond, an AGS 000 stone is going to be beautiful to the non expert eye anyway and is subject to personal opinion as to what is beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results