shape
carat
color
clarity

Can a stone be H-L in color???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I just saw a stone (on another diamond forum) being described as H-L in color... What? Is this just someone who doesn''t really know what they are talking about, or is there some special color grading system that I am unaware of?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Nope. It probably translates to "it looks sorta like an H to me, but might actually grade to a L, so I''ll hedge my bets here"
2.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, that''s what I thought. Even if they are just some "lay" person selling a stone, they should at least TRY to sound like they know what they are talking about!!!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Nope--if a stone is mounted it can be called within two letter grades--but a loose stone would have one letter grade--unless it is below N in the normal color range, then color is characterized as O-P, Q-R, S-T, U-V, W-X, Y-Z.

but H-L? haha!

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
a chameleon cut maybe? heehee..
9.gif

A-41.jpeg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it possible it is a typo and supposed to be H-I?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 9:00:18 PM
Author: coatimundi
Nope--if a stone is mounted it can be called within two letter grades--but a loose stone would have one letter grade--unless it is below N in the normal color range, then color is characterized as O-P, Q-R, S-T, U-V, W-X, Y-Z.

but H-L? haha!

Yep, it was a mounted stone. I wish I could post a link to the thread, but I think it would be breaking PS rules. You guys would get a kick out of it!!!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wait. You're on a diamond forum OTHER than PS??? The horror!

just kidding.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
must be one of those ebay rings.
9.gif

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 9:17:39 PM
Author: neatfreak

Ummm yea.. I''m going with typo.. that''s a pretty big range...

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
What a range! They might as well call it a D-Z.

No grading system gives that range. Most probably the person meant H-I.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
If it''s eBay they give that type of range. I''ve seen worse. Sometimes a description will say SI1 to SI2, then further down in the details it''ll say I3. You really have to read ALL the fine print on anything on eBay. Let''s say they give a range like H-L. You think, "well the worst it could be is L and probably is an L" and decide to bid based on that. Then you see that the fine print of their return policy says something "100% return if grossly misrepresented. (in smaller print) Gross Misrepresentation means 2 more color or clarity grades." So now you have a range ending at L, but could be an N before you''d get any money back.

eBay is not for the faint hearted
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 2:11:54 PM
Author: purrfectpear
If it''s eBay they give that type of range. I''ve seen worse. Sometimes a description will say SI1 to SI2, then further down in the details it''ll say I3. You really have to read ALL the fine print on anything on eBay. Let''s say they give a range like H-L. You think, ''well the worst it could be is L and probably is an L'' and decide to bid based on that. Then you see that the fine print of their return policy says something ''100% return if grossly misrepresented. (in smaller print) Gross Misrepresentation means 2 more color or clarity grades.'' So now you have a range ending at L, but could be an N before you''d get any money back.

9.gif
It''s "on another diamond forum." As was said, sounds like a typo. I and L are kind of by each other on the keyboard.
1.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 12:18:32 AM
Author: Namaste
Date: 2/9/2009 9:17:39 PM

Author: neatfreak

Ummm yea.. I''m going with typo.. that''s a pretty big range...

I don''t think it''s a typo... It''s on there at least 2 different places...

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 11:46:29 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Wait. You''re on a diamond forum OTHER than PS??? The horror!

just kidding.

Tee-hee... I found the other one first. Then, after I found PS, that one kind of, well... sucks. I check back there from time to time to see what kind of nonsense is going on.
28.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock

just kidding.
9.gif
Very cute HH!

I was going with a typo too but if it is in 2 different places it prob isn''t a typo. So I will guess like PurrfectPear that it might be a good looking L? Perhaps with flour?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 4:38:02 PM
Author: Steel

just kidding.

9.gif
Very cute HH!
3.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 2:19:21 PM
Author: MC

Date: 2/10/2009 2:11:54 PM
Author: purrfectpear
If it''s eBay they give that type of range. I''ve seen worse. Sometimes a description will say SI1 to SI2, then further down in the details it''ll say I3. You really have to read ALL the fine print on anything on eBay. Let''s say they give a range like H-L. You think, ''well the worst it could be is L and probably is an L'' and decide to bid based on that. Then you see that the fine print of their return policy says something ''100% return if grossly misrepresented. (in smaller print) Gross Misrepresentation means 2 more color or clarity grades.'' So now you have a range ending at L, but could be an N before you''d get any money back.

9.gif
It''s ''on another diamond forum.'' As was said, sounds like a typo. I and L are kind of by each other on the keyboard.
1.gif
9.gif

Yeah, if you use your foot to mash the keys on the keyboard instead of typing with our fingers like us mere mortals....
36.gif

(Joke, MC)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results