shape
carat
color
clarity

Can a laser inscription on a diamond be easily removed?

smoothsailing

Rough_Rock
We bought a signature ideal cut round diamond from Blue Nile. It is engraved with a number as well as with Blue Nile's logo. We bought a microscope to confirm this, as we wanted to see it with our own eyes.

We are planning on now buying a band from Shane Co. and have them set our diamond in their band. My boyfriend is concerned that something could happen to our diamond (like them swapping it out for one of lesser quality, etc.). Yes, we have insurance on the diamond already, so I'm not too concerned myself. I also think that Shane Co. is reputable enough that we don't have to worry. However, I promised him that I'd research this.

He would like to know if it is possible to remove a laser inscription from a diamond. Also, how easy would it be to replicate the inscription on a different diamond? I told him that I guessed that another company would have a hard time replicating Blue Nile's logo.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Removing is easy with a grinding wheel. Lasering again will be more difficult as the equipment is much more expensive. Safest way is to note the inclusions on the stone, inclusion map and learn to identify them. These are unique, like a fingerprint of the stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get it appraised by an outside appraiser (not linked with the Shane Company) before and after. If you aren't confident of your own ability to inclusion spot and identify your stone, an appraiser who is asked to do this will be able to help you.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have found that I can readily remove a laser inscription without even a grinding wheel, but I won't share it so as not to do anything to possibly tempt anyone to do it themselves. Getting a diamond laser engraved is easily done with the correct equilment and a logo is readily copied if someone is up for creating a fraud. I have not found it a commonplace occurence, but the possibility is not difficult to imagine. Becoming familiar enough with your diamond's color and inclusions is the right suggestion. Aslo, the inscription location, in relation to the neaest inclusion would be very difficult to duplicate in a switched stone. That could be very useful.

Pint out the inscription when leaving the diamond to the person handling the deal at the counter. Make them give you a complete receipt including the inscription logo and numbers. I think you'll be safe enough.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can they set your diamond in store while you wait? I was in one jewelry store (a chain store) and they told me that they would be able to do that.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the biggest concern with a company like Shane & Co. is accidental switching, not deliberate fraud ... which means that, while you should definitely know your stone's inclusions and note the inscription when you drop the stone off (and tell them you want it oriented so the inscription is visible after setting! we've had more than one poster freak out about them not noticing they were hiding the inscription, and being concerned that it implied a switch), it probably isn't a big concern that Shane & Co. has, like, a backroom dedicated to filing off the serial numbers. If you're setting the Krupp, yeah, be extra-careful: in normal circumstances, I'd say rest easy in going with a well-known dealer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results