shape
carat
color
clarity

Can a diamond be cut just for you?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My boyfriend and I have begun the process of looking for a center stone for my engagement ring. My questions is, if we don't find a stone that blows our socks off, can we request to have a diamond cut just for us given the specs we're looking for? Has anyone had this done before?

For information, we're going to be looking for stones through the jewelers recommended here so there's a good chance we'll find something; I'm just trying to cover my bases just in case!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, several vendors here offer custom cutting services. You will have to check with them individually to understand the details of their policies and process. There is no "standard" practice in this is highly specialized area.

It's always best to explore available options first for increased certainty and better turnaround time.

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Good Old Gold and Victor Canera both offer custom cut stones. You can search the site for threads about them. Those are the only 2 vendors that I know of. My boyfriend and I are currently using GOG for our custom AVR stone.

egemnoel

Shiny_Rock
Hello IlikeShiny,

You come to the right place asking for advice. Crafted by Infinity are the ONLY company who will source, plan, craft, brand such a custom-diamond all the way from rough to polish. Under the watchful eye of Paul Slegers. Anyone else is just placing an order with a supplier.

Wink from High Performance Diamonds offers Crafted by Infinity diamonds in a “Crafted to Order” programme.

The diamond must be outside what they already produce, since all CBI sparkle identically. If you’re going for something like that Wink Jones will take all of your desires, establish boundaries and have the Infinity team in Antwerp search for starting crystals. You’ll get options with a guaranteed final weight, final color, final clarity and final price, as well as any other info desired.

The end-guarantees are quite amazing. Carat weight, color and clarity are guaranteed to be at-or-above what’s promised. In such a case you enjoy an upgrade since you will actually pay no more for it! But if there is some irregularity and either carat, color or clarity is less than promised in any way the price by Wink HPD is reduced to you accordingly, or you can even reject that diamond and they will redo it for you from crystal-sourcing. It’s truly a made from scratch situation, where the diamond is being sourced, planned, crafted and held to Infinity standards in-house by the Infinity team.

It feel it’s really nice that Wink and High Performance Diamonds offer this. I am not sure if it’s available through all Crafted by Infinity jewelry showrooms?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Old Gold and Victor Canera both offer custom cut stones. You can search the site for threads about them. Those are the only 2 vendors that I know of. My boyfriend and I are currently using GOG for our custom AVR stone.

How exciting for you!! Can you tell me a little more about this? We're actually going to be flying to NY next month to meet with GOG to view some stones. My thought was if they didn't bring in one that we loved, we could ask them to have it made. I know they've created the August Vintage cut and it makes sense to me that they can cut a diamond to those specs; I'm pretty sure that I want a step-cut stone though... any idea if they would do that as well?

Also, what did they need to know from you? Is it specific to carat/color/clarity, or do you agree to a range (say, 2.0-2.2 carat, E-G color, VVS1-VS1 clarity)?

Thanks for your help (and good luck with your stone!)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting for you!! Can you tell me a little more about this? We're actually going to be flying to NY next month to meet with GOG to view some stones. My thought was if they didn't bring in one that we loved, we could ask them to have it made. I know they've created the August Vintage cut and it makes sense to me that they can cut a diamond to those specs; I'm pretty sure that I want a step-cut stone though... any idea if they would do that as well?

Also, what did they need to know from you? Is it specific to carat/color/clarity, or do you agree to a range (say, 2.0-2.2 carat, E-G color, VVS1-VS1 clarity)?

Thanks for your help (and good luck with your stone!)
Yes they will. GOG cut my Octavia from scratch. Talk to Jon about your preference on color and clarity.

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Custom cut is absolutely an option, but I dunno if any cutter/jewellery would 'guarantee' a specific 4Cs result. There are a number of threads on PS where someone has started a custom cut and the first rough does not yield the desired diamond characteristics and then it's a matter of (a) negotiation on price, or (b) starting another cut. From what I can tell it's also a 6+ month process from start to finish.

What are you looking for? Given the number of experts and passionate diamond collectors I'd be surprised if someone can't recommend or point you in the right direction. The preloved section also has some pretty unique rings and loose stones - don't overlook these just because they aren't retailed.

Good luck :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking for an ideal cut round or another shape? There shouldn't be any issue finding a hearts and arrows ideal cut round. But if you want an antique cut, there are fewer of those stones available, and those options for custom cutting have been mentioned. I definitely prefer buying a stone already cut if I can.

If you'll tell us your range of specs and budget, we can show you all the stones that are available if you are looking for an idea cut round.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My boyfriend and I have begun the process of looking for a center stone for my engagement ring. My questions is, if we don't find a stone that blows our socks off, can we request to have a diamond cut just for us given the specs we're looking for? Has anyone had this done before?

For information, we're going to be looking for stones through the jewelers recommended here so there's a good chance we'll find something; I'm just trying to cover my bases just in case!

Huh?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes they will. GOG cut my Octavia from scratch. Talk to Jon about your preference on color and clarity.

Done and done :) We've started corresponding via email, and have filled out the custom cut form. Thanks for your reply!

Custom cut is absolutely an option, but I dunno if any cutter/jewellery would 'guarantee' a specific 4Cs result. There are a number of threads on PS where someone has started a custom cut and the first rough does not yield the desired diamond characteristics and then it's a matter of (a) negotiation on price, or (b) starting another cut. From what I can tell it's also a 6+ month process from start to finish.

What are you looking for? Given the number of experts and passionate diamond collectors I'd be surprised if someone can't recommend or point you in the right direction. The preloved section also has some pretty unique rings and loose stones - don't overlook these just because they aren't retailed.

Good luck :)

We've narrowed down the shape to definitely an asscher. Thankfully we have time, so if it takes a while to either find the perfect (for us) stone or have it cut, there's not a looming time constraint. We really want to work with GOG if possible as there are so many great things said about them here and we've learned so much from their videos that it seems only fair that we give them first shot at our business :)

Thanks for your reply!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Custom cut to me is a last resort after you have exhausted everything that is available and nothing
"fits" (or your shape/cut is a proprietary cut).

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I just now saw the "Alert" that I had been quoted. I'm still getting used to this new interface!

It looks like all your questions have been answered and you've started working directly with GOG. It's good that you have plenty of time. SO and I were in the same boat. We had a general idea of when we'd like to be engaged by, but it's not a big deal if things take some time.

We had expected the cutting process to take 1-2 months, but we are actually 10 weeks past the date we wired the money for the rough, and no word of when the stone will reach GOG. Hopefully soon! Once it gets to GOG, we will have to wait another 1-3 weeks for it to be sent to AGS for certification and back again before we get it.

So all told, the cutting process will have taken ~4 months instead of the 1-2 we had "budgeted." We are hoping to be able to get a bit of a rush on the ring creation on the back end to make up some of the difference, but not a big deal if we can't.

Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results