shape
carat
color
clarity

Can’t tell if I like this east west setting on me help

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loooooove an E/W step-cut, but I’m not in love with this particular overall ‘look’. I don’t think it’s the orientation or your finger that’s making me not love it; rather, I think it’s the setting that’s not doing the diamond or overall look any favors. The setting looks too ‘unsubstantial’ for the diamond; kinda like someone wearing a shirt a few sizes too small for their body. A diamond that size (IMO) needs a complimentary, well-fitting outfit.

Personally, I think this setting from Sholdt with an E/W emerald cut is a great example of E/W simplicity that would be perfect for your lifestyle ... no prongs to catch on or scratch little ones but still easy enough for daily wear to go from jeans to formal evening wear without batting an eyelash. It’s like the perfect ‘little black dress’ setting for a sizeable emerald cut. :love:

BE49E375-1BFC-4C12-B45F-57A2A0966C24.jpeg

Tons of pics & videos to see it ‘in action’: https://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug....ns/1K47ct-Emerald-Cut-Diamond-GIA-E/i-f3NVWGb

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I'm not a fan of e/w for this particular stone. It has nothing to do with the setting or your hand. It's the l/w ratio of the stone itself.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loooooove an E/W step-cut, but I’m not in love with this particular overall ‘look’. I don’t think it’s the orientation or your finger that’s making me not love it; rather, I think it’s the setting that’s not doing the diamond or overall look any favors. The setting looks too ‘unsubstantial’ for the diamond; kinda like someone wearing a shirt a few sizes too small for their body. A diamond that size (IMO) needs a complimentary, well-fitting outfit.

Personally, I think this setting from Sholdt with an E/W emerald cut is a great example of E/W simplicity that would be perfect for your lifestyle ... no prongs to catch on or scratch little ones but still easy enough for daily wear to go from jeans to formal evening wear without batting an eyelash. It’s like the perfect ‘little black dress’ setting for a sizeable emerald cut. :love:

BE49E375-1BFC-4C12-B45F-57A2A0966C24.jpeg

Tons of pics & videos to see it ‘in action’: https://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug....ns/1K47ct-Emerald-Cut-Diamond-GIA-E/i-f3NVWGb
now that is a stunner

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, N-S looks better on OP's hand.

DK :))

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
Hi @Fsmu -

Your current ring is my dream ring. i think it's absolutely stunning. Were it me, I wouldn't change a thing.

We're so used to seeing ECs set in a N/S manner, when we see one like yours, it's hard for our brains not to think "That stone has fallen over...." It's hard for us to 'see it' as it is, rather than as we think it should be. It's almost like one of those optical illusions whee you look at it and think "Is that a ladiy's face, or a vase??" You sort of have to look at it differently to see each one. Once you take a little while to get used to it tho, and can see it fully as an E/W setting, it takes your breath away. I looked at it for some time before my eyes suddenly 'saw' it - and it was like - WHAM! Anyway, all that to say, I love this ring and wouldn't change a thing.

But of course - YOU have to like it. I have to say, tho, going north south and adding prongs, side stones, detailed finishes, will make it MORE elaborate visually; the way it is at the moment is extremely low key and sturdy - and very easy to keep clean. It also has very few ways to catch on things or scratch a child, so you're good from that angle. In the final analysis - it's what you want that counts.

Just since I love it so much - would you pls share its specs? Ctw, dimensions, clarity and color please? I really do adore this ring!

And lastly - just a couple of photos of one of the truly GREAT east/west, emerald cut settings - and possibly my favorite setting of all time - the Laurel by Erika Winters: a classic, forever beautiful ring.

Laurel_1.jpeg

Laurel_2.jpeg

I think what’s bothering me is just the lines going horizontal so it brings attention to my knuckle. I love it not on my finger. Or even if my finger is bent. Just not like this. If I didn’t have to send it back to change the metal I would live with it a while and see but I don’t want to lose it for all that time kind of thing. And rather just fix it now if it’s going to really bother me.

specs are vvs2, 4.2 carats, and an I :) I have a size 6.5 finger.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Sholdt E/W setting photoshopped for visual perspective compared to current E/W setting. I think a setting with more ‘presence’ takes the eye away from focusing on the ‘hand’ and instead helps it focus on the diamond.
AEAC9126-A08E-4B36-BDE3-FC2F4A3A3D5B.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what’s bothering me is just the lines going horizontal so it brings attention to my knuckle. I love it not on my finger. Or even if my finger is bent. Just not like this. If I didn’t have to send it back to change the metal I would live with it a while and see but I don’t want to lose it for all that time kind of thing. And rather just fix it now if it’s going to really bother me.

specs are vvs2, 4.2 carats, and an I :) I have a size 6.5 finger.

I'm laughing here in front of my computer....

Your knuckle? Your KNUCKLE? You think anyone is looking at your KNUCKLE with that ring on your finger??? Oh lady - this is a perfect example of how we see ourselves subjectively and through eyes NOBODY else has!

Believe me when I tell you, east/west or north/south, that diamond is a showstopper!

And just for the record - you have beautiful hands; lovely long, elegant fingers - slim without being bony. And whatever setting you choose, nothing will take away from that!

Beautiful diamond and, in my opinion, perfect setting. Whichever way you go with this, I hope you enjoy this amazing diamond!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s a N/S setting recommended up-thread for comparison; tried to scale the diamond size as close as possible to the current diamond size. I like this a lot as well; just keep in mind if you wear a band with it, it likely won’t sit flush.
3377BEE0-18CB-45B6-9A7F-E94F9C3B8C11.jpeg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Ya’ll know I love me some Sholdt regardless of the stone/setting, but when I saw this thread, OP’s pics and commentary about her lifestyle, it just screamed out to me.

I really like that! It would be really pretty that way!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I think your stone has beautiful clipped corners and a chunkier single prong makes it look rectangular (4 sides rather than 8). Dainty double prongs or an angular bezel would emphasise those corners.
368EF18D-4B87-472E-89A8-15864F861664.jpeg 3C5F4A84-BCF6-4C74-802A-979A6CD0062F.jpeg

Meely, I liked your thoughts. I played around with angular/thicker sides - (pretend they are diamonds) and it makes the e/w work. You'll have to squint and believe a little. The sides balance out the diamond much better (I think). try on sides.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it E/W but agree that a diff setting would be better. Moneymeister's is a cool idea.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As others have stated, not liking the e-w on you. Just curious if you got an aset image for this stone? If you did can you post. I'd love to see the
details on the faceting. I think a wider band for e-w would look more in proportion or N/S might be the way to go if you want to stay with a thinner band.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I may be in the minority but I much prefer it E/W on you!!! What a stone! I love the more substantial setting options for EW others recommended here. With those fingers you can pull it off and it needs nothing else, it is pure perfection ❤️. This setting does not do it justice though, it just needs a little tweaking that’s all. This has to be one of my dream rings in the setting recommended by @mrs-b or in the Sholdt. Hmmm giving me ideas and here I did not even think ECs were my thing but an EW sleek and minimalistic but substantial stunner, oh yeah anytime please.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is gorgeous!! It is a large stone and thus I like it better NS set on your hand.
I love that Erica Winters setting with the beautiful bezel as posted above. A double prong setting will also be very nice

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I am always wishing for trap sides on rings like this - WWW

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
Ya’ll know I love me some Sholdt regardless of the stone/setting, but when I saw this thread, OP’s pics and commentary about her lifestyle, it just screamed out to me.

Yes my god I knocked my 4 year olds ear today and he screamed bloody murder. And I just ended up not wearing it. I really don’t want it sitting in a safe.

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
The Sholdt E/W setting photoshopped for visual perspective compared to current E/W setting. I think a setting with more ‘presence’ takes the eye away from focusing on the ‘hand’ and instead helps it focus on the diamond.
AEAC9126-A08E-4B36-BDE3-FC2F4A3A3D5B.jpeg

It definitely does!!! I still think I prefer the NS ONLY Bc if it’s too thick of a setting i prob won’t wear it- cuz I’ll feel it all the time. Idk if that makes sense. I’m going to go to a jeweler tomrorrow and see if they have a similar setting I can try on for comfort. My old ring had a 4mm band and it was so uncomfortable— I am weird I know. But now I learned I was wearing the wrong ring size. So maybe that was why. I’m learning. Lol.

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
I'm laughing here in front of my computer....

Your knuckle? Your KNUCKLE? You think anyone is looking at your KNUCKLE with that ring on your finger??? Oh lady - this is a perfect example of how we see ourselves subjectively and through eyes NOBODY else has!

Believe me when I tell you, east/west or north/south, that diamond is a showstopper!

And just for the record - you have beautiful hands; lovely long, elegant fingers - slim without being bony. And whatever setting you choose, nothing will take away from that!

Beautiful diamond and, in my opinion, perfect setting. Whichever way you go with this, I hope you enjoy this amazing diamond!

Lol I’m laughing now!! I appreciate that. It wasn’t that the knuckle was ugly it’s more like I’m an attention to detail type of thing. And for some reason all the horizontal lines got to me

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
Meely, I liked your thoughts. I played around with angular/thicker sides - (pretend they are diamonds) and it makes the e/w work. You'll have to squint and believe a little. The sides balance out the diamond much better (I think). try on sides.jpg
You’re the best at photoshop! I went all day thinking NS. And now idk. Now I’m thinking more substantial setting maybe w some some traps. Ughh decisions.

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
Here’s a N/S setting recommended up-thread for comparison; tried to scale the diamond size as close as possible to the current diamond size. I like this a lot as well; just keep in mind if you wear a band with it, it likely won’t sit flush.
3377BEE0-18CB-45B6-9A7F-E94F9C3B8C11.jpeg

The band already doesn’t sit flush. Which doesn’t really bother me too much. But I want to get a simple band. I feel like my eternity band detracts from the stone.

Reactions: AV_

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Fsmu Just an FYI, that Sholdt setting is VERY comfortable. The Sholdt setting I have (in my avatar picture) is based off the same ring essentially. It ‘looks’ a lot bigger than it really is, and while it’s hard to explain, it doesn’t feel like even wearing a ring, yet I know it’s there. I’m not sure I’d trust something ‘similar’ to gauge how Sholdt’s semi-bezel setting truly feels. I’d suggest going to their website and seeing if there is a retailer near you that carries their pieces, and try one on if you can. http://sholdtdesign.com/our-retailers/

If you like it and want to see how it looks with bands, check out the link I posted earlier that has pictures of it worn with various bands.

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
As others have stated, not liking the e-w on you. Just curious if you got an aset image for this stone? If you did can you post. I'd love to see the
details on the faceting. I think a wider band for e-w would look more in proportion or N/S might be the way to go if you want to stay with a thinner band.

I didn’t get an ASET - my husband didn’t know they had them for stones other than solitaire. Its gotta be minimal to no leakage tho. Just bc of how blingy it is. It’s funny. I asked for this Bc I thought it would be less shiny so to speak. But it’s constantly glistening and catching light. It’s really pretty. I know the L/W ratio is 1.45 (or maybe 1.5- can’t temember) but the polish and symmetry were only “very good” on the GIA report. But the table and Depth were ideal- table 69% and depth 64%. Of I remember correctly. But when I send the stone back for the change (whatever I end up deciding as now that the kids are asleep and I’m catching up on all the posts I missed, I’m now not sure which to do lol. Maybe I need to ask husband for a second ring bahahahaha he will hate me)

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
@Fsmu Just an FYI, that Sholdt setting is VERY comfortable. The Sholdt setting I have (in my avatar picture) is based off the same ring essentially. It ‘looks’ a lot bigger than it really is, and while it’s hard to explain, it doesn’t feel like even wearing a ring, yet I know it’s there. I’m not sure I’d trust something ‘similar’ to gauge how Sholdt’s semi-bezel setting truly feels. I’d suggest going to their website and seeing if there is a retailer near you that carries their pieces, and try one on if you can. http://sholdtdesign.com/our-retailers/

If you like it and want to see how it looks with bands, check out the link I posted earlier that has pictures of it worn with various bands.

No shouldn’t near me :( but there is one in ny where I’ll have to go to change the ring. So maybe I will go instead of my husband.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that it's just the setting that throws off the look for me. I personally LOVE the EW orientation on you It's a bit more 'unexpected' than NS, and with a sleek, mire substantial setting, would look effortlessly stylish.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Hi @Fsmu -

Your current ring is my dream ring. i think it's absolutely stunning. Were it me, I wouldn't change a thing.

We're so used to seeing ECs set in a N/S manner, when we see one like yours, it's hard for our brains not to think "That stone has fallen over...." It's hard for us to 'see it' as it is, rather than as we think it should be. It's almost like one of those optical illusions whee you look at it and think "Is that a ladiy's face, or a vase??" You sort of have to look at it differently to see each one. Once you take a little while to get used to it tho, and can see it fully as an E/W setting, it takes your breath away. I looked at it for some time before my eyes suddenly 'saw' it - and it was like - WHAM! Anyway, all that to say, I love this ring and wouldn't change a thing.

But of course - YOU have to like it. I have to say, tho, going north south and adding prongs, side stones, detailed finishes, will make it MORE elaborate visually; the way it is at the moment is extremely low key and sturdy - and very easy to keep clean. It also has very few ways to catch on things or scratch a child, so you're good from that angle. In the final analysis - it's what you want that counts.

Just since I love it so much - would you pls share its specs? Ctw, dimensions, clarity and color please? I really do adore this ring!

And lastly - just a couple of photos of one of the truly GREAT east/west, emerald cut settings - and possibly my favorite setting of all time - the Laurel by Erika Winters: a classic, forever beautiful ring.

Laurel_1.jpeg

Laurel_2.jpeg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I agree with mrs-b, your ring is stunning as it is. Set EW it sort of says, "I am a complete statement, I don't need embellishments." It's elegant and strong yet understated. Fabulous. But you have to go with your heart. You have the pretty hands to wear anything you desire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results