color
clarity

Camera experts, vote for me!!

Which camera should I choose?

• SD 850

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
I've opted to buy two things with my tax return before throwing the rest in my IRA:
1. Finally reset my childhood birthstone ring,
2. Buy a camera!

So... I've narrowed it down to two. The PS gold standard Canon PowerShot SD850 IS, and the Canon Canon PowerShot Pro Series S5 IS. I'm a huge nature fan, I love doing portraits and... of course I love jewelry. So... who owns what and why? What should I choose? The difference is $100, which I can swing right now.

Whatcha think?
31.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know anything about the other one so I didn't vote, but I have the 850IS and it's great.
1.gif

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2008 6:27:41 PM
Author: musey
I don''t know anything about the other one so I didn''t vote, but I have the 850IS and it''s great.
1.gif
That makes me confident in the 850 because you''re pictures are fabulous!!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2008 6:27:41 PM
Author: musey
I don''t know anything about the other one so I didn''t vote, but I have the 850IS and it''s great.
1.gif
Same.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I read a little about the S5. Take this with a grain of salt, as I really don't know much about photography... but it seems that the 850IS is more of a "I'll handle it" compact point-and-shoot where the S5 might be a bulkier "you handle it" model that gives you more control... if yanno what I mean.

So maybe it depends more on what you want out of it. For me, I wanted a very compact camera that I could fit/take anywhere, but that still really gets the job done, and the 850IS is great for that. It does offer you quite a bit of control, especially for a point-and-shoot, but I'm betting that someone experienced with photography would probably be a little happier with the S5.

Oh and by the way, I saw the 850IS at costco a couple weeks ago for $200. So if you have a membership there you should check their prices (for either) before you buy
1.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I really wrestled with the same thing...go point and shoot or a professional model that gave me more artistic options?

But it came down to wanting my camera to be versatile. I couldn't imagine lugging a professional camera to events with friends or and one certainly wouldn't fit compactly in my purse or pocket, and that's half of why I wanted to upgrade (my Nikon took cruddy pics of people in lowlight). The 850 IS has more than enough options to keep you occupied. For example, here's my fav feature (color accent) for artsy pics:

elmortcanon850.jpg

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I''m no photographer at all, but I LOVE my S5! Takes great Macro shots, and all around other shots. Great zoom too. It is not however, a compact camera. It is a bulky beast compared to others. You do have the option of add on lenses, though it is not a true SLR. The setting options are huge, but I use it as a point and shoot. It seems to be a very versatile camera and it can also be used as a camcorder if you get a good size memory card. I took a great movie of my dogs with sound included. Lots of cool features. I got a great deal thru Amazon during the holidays.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, thanks for the input everyone!
36.gif
36.gif

WTNLVR; can you post any macros you have from your S5 and tell me how many pictures it took before you got a great shot? I''d be very greatful! You''re the only person I know with an S5. Thanks!!

Musey; Thanks for the tip, I''ll definitely stop by there tomorrow.
27.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Great thread, nebe! I am trying to work this out too, as I''m getting a digital camera for my birthday and get to pick it out! Because I''d one day like to own an SLR but don''t have the funds for one now, I think I''m going to see about getting the S5 (and putting some of my own money towards it so I can get it)...but I''m not 100% decided on it, and the 850 is one of my runners-up, so I can''t wait to see what you choose!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results