shape
carat
color
clarity

Cameo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fireopal

Rough_Rock
Anyone able to see if these are real???

Also, how can one identify who is carved on it?

Appreciate your kind assistance! Thanks in advance!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/29/2008 8:54:40 AM
Author:fireopal
Anyone able to see if these are real???

Also, how can one identify who is carved on it?

Appreciate your kind assistance! Thanks in advance!
Sorry, I can't help with authenticity...

First of all, are you sure they are meant to be portraits of specific people? A lot of cameos were carved "generically" and do not represent real people. They were just carved for mass consumption.

If you are looking at very fine cameos, there is a chance, but even so no guarantee, that they represent real people. If you believe this is the case, then follow the paper trail. Research who ordered the cameo and when. The original bill of sale may reference the person in the carving, but most likely you'll have to look at the family tree and make a few connections. Contacting a member of the family may be fruitfull.

Good luck!

By the way, I'm not a cameo expert by any means, but I associate mother of pearl with more recent work. Most older cameos were conch/helmet shell, which mimic the older (and harder to carve) agate cameos with two layers of color.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
From the carving style, I''d say they are recent work (20th century). If that''s the case, I doubt they are meant to represent someone specific, just something "in the style of" mythological/allegorical figures that would have been carved in earlier times, though the carver may have taken some real person as a model.

fireopal

Rough_Rock
icic..
thanks for taking time to view the pictures..

they are more modern pieces.. thats for sure...

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Where are the pictures? I can''t see them.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
me niether.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
no pics here also
14.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I suspect they were removed by admin, since they were linked in from a picasa/photobucket/whatever site.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results