shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling TL

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've been curious for some time as to what you look for in Tan's spinels - knowing his videos and photos as you do, what level of saturation you look for, what tone is right and not too dark, etc. Interestingly, I have steered away from expensive blue gem purchases on his site because I haven't yet "cracked the code" in terms of being able to interpret his pics and videos. I did buy some stunning >1ct blue sapphires and all of them are beautiful. But I digress...

Anyway, your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to look at the spinel below and tell me how you think this might be in real life based on what you know about his photographic representations. I could provide a link to the specific gem, but knowing you, you know exactly which one it is and you can watch the video if you like. I am not interested in purchasing, as in a fit of weakness, I went and bought 12 gems in the last two days [I have put myself in a time out and I am sitting in a little chair facing the wall].

TIA :wavey:

A Tan Spinel.jpg

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Not to threadjack, but could I also get your opinion on this spinel TL?

9588-pp.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
For SHAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You two are NAUGHTY !!!!!!!!!!!

MB, TWELVE stones in 2 days !!!!

Hey, that makes me look like an absolute SAINT !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :saint: :saint: :saint:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I may as well ask too :naughty:

spinel_239.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1305165534|2919294 said:
So I've been curious for some time as to what you look for in Tan's spinels - knowing his videos and photos as you do, what level of saturation you look for, what tone is right and not too dark, etc. Interestingly, I have steered away from expensive blue gem purchases on his site because I haven't yet "cracked the code" in terms of being able to interpret his pics and videos. I did buy some stunning >1ct blue sapphires and all of them are beautiful. But I digress...

Anyway, your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to look at the spinel below and tell me how you think this might be in real life based on what you know about his photographic representations. I could provide a link to the specific gem, but knowing you, you know exactly which one it is and you can watch the video if you like. I am not interested in purchasing, as in a fit of weakness, I went and bought 12 gems in the last two days [I have put myself in a time out and I am sitting in a little chair facing the wall].

TIA :wavey:

Minous,
Now if I told you all my secrets, there wouldn't be any spinels left for me to buy. ;-) I will say that spinel you chose is way way way too dark. I don't like the tone in the photo or the video.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
herekittykitty|1305165884|2919299 said:
Not to threadjack, but could I also get your opinion on this spinel TL?

Herekittykitty,
I think the video of that stone was pretty orange if I remember correctly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1305166809|2919320 said:

I don't know that vendor, so I can't comment. It could be enhanced in color on the photo.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1305167093|2919328 said:
TL|1305166963|2919325 said:
bright ice|1305166809|2919320 said:

I don't know that vendor, so I can't comment. It could be enhanced in color on the photo.
This one is from Gemfix cut by Andrew Gulij
http://www.gemfix.com/newest_gems.html

I heard his photos are a bit more vivid than the real thing, but I could be wrong.

Ask about the color shift (if there's any orange)
Ask about the saturation, and if there's any extinction.
Ask if there's fluorescence.

The photo is pretty.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you TL

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks TL.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, yes, thank you TL! ...and I would never want you to divulge your time tested, successful TL method of finding the perfect Tan stones. So if you whisper it to me very quietly, I promise not to tell anyone else... :naughty: :naughty:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Not TL, but IMHO that first stone is over dark and will likely look a lot more grey in real-life.

The pink is a nice colour but looks a bit wonky to me cut and shape wise - and I'm not super-picky about cut.

The spinel 'bright ice' posted is lovely and looks just like a nice boiled sweetie! :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results