shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling PS New Yorkers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smo

Shiny_Rock

My bf and I are thinking about eloping to New York next year and I had always considered the reflection pool area at Top of the Rock at 30 Rockefeller Plaza to be the perfect place for our ceremony and pictures afterwards. It seems to show off the best of New York and I thought it would look amazing in the pictures. If we go ahead with our plan to elope we really want something that is no fuss and simple. We are both from Sydney and New York is my favourite city hence the decision to get married there and then continue on to Europe for the rest of the trip.

So I emailed Top of the Rock and explain my plan and stated that I only wanted the space for an hour or so and would they mind providing me with a quote. The lady emails me back with a generic email quoting $20,000 and what that includes (clearly she hadn''t even read what I set out in my email)! I write back again and re-state what I wanted the space for, probably an hour or two and that we didn''t need to have dinner at the venue or any of the other extras she suggested in her email. I said I was happy to have the ceremony during the week and we are flexible with the time and date.

So the lady writes back to tell me that the best price they can give me to rent the space would be $5000 for 2 hours!!!!!

I am so cranky

29.gif
I cannot believe that they consider $5000 to be a reasonable amount to charge for what we want!!!

I was hoping someone could suggest a spot in New York (perhaps somewhere in central park?) that would be a great spot for the ceremony and some pictures afterwards. The only other place I can think of is the roof space in the library hotel (which is where we plan on staying) but I am not convinced that it would be suitable for a wedding.

I have attached a picture of the reflection pool area at Top of the Rock as I thought it might help. Sorry, I couldnt'' figure out how to make the picture show up in my post!

Thanks in advance!

ToTR 1.jpg

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
That picture is actually from 620 Loft and Garden. That is a seperate event space most likely managed by the top of rock group but it is NOT at the top of Rockefeller center. You can see St. Patricks from there. It is actually one of the spaces on the one of the smaller buildings. Unfortunatley that is New York as far as the pricing is concerned. My guess is that even during the week there are probably other functions held there and you are paying for time to have the space to yourself.

One suggestion that I have is once you find the photographer that you want to work with ask them where they suggest. They probably have a better idea where to take pics for without having to pay a fee. We took our engagement pics in Long Island City across the river from NY and felt that was the best representation we could get of the city. While the park is great and there are many places you can take pics there you are probably best off working with your photographer on that one.

Here is another place you might consider. http://www.230-fifth.com/ I think its public during the day till 4 so you may be able to work with them. I''ll see if I can remember some other places with that type of feel.

Here is one of our engagement pics so that you can see what I am talking about....

engagment2em1.jpg

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
How could I forget the Gansevoort. There roof top is nice with a big pool, however, I didn''t mention it first because it is probably a lot of money to keep private even for just an hour. Worth a try though. http://www.hotelgansevoort.com/

Ok, really the more I keep thinking, there are a ton of places. My fiance used to live right across from here: www.avaloungenyc.com Then there is the Hudson Hotel Garden. http://www.morganshotelgroup.com/meetings/hudson/new-york-hotel-meetings.asp

Start doing some searches for outdoor event rooftop spacein NYC and you''ll probably find more than what you are looking for.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome Smo!

Here''s my first thought, are you set on it being private? What if you, df and the officiant just went up on your own during regular hours, sectioning off space with the sheer clarity that the three of you are having a private moment? There would likely be people milling about, but I have a feeling they are unlikely to ruin your ceremony. You simply angle yourselves so that the two of you are facing away from the rest of people who may be up there. Then you are just paying regular admission each...I think it''s around $30 0r $40 per person.

Smo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your responses guys!

emeraldlover1 those suggestions are great. I will make sure to check them out. I have already googled "New York outdoor spaces". Hopefully they will be just as good as 620 loft and gardens.

mayachel does that mean that 620 loft and gardens is open to the public (for a entry fee)? The lady that I have been emailing said that it isn''t. That is an awesome suggestion if it is!

I am also thinking about dinner a Per Se afterwards. Has anyone been here before and is it as great as the reviews say?

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 3:57:08 AM
Author: Smo
Thanks for your responses guys!

emeraldlover1 those suggestions are great. I will make sure to check them out. I have already googled ''New York outdoor spaces''. Hopefully they will be just as good as 620 loft and gardens.

mayachel does that mean that 620 loft and gardens is open to the public (for a entry fee)? The lady that I have been emailing said that it isn''t. That is an awesome suggestion if it is!

I am also thinking about dinner a Per Se afterwards. Has anyone been here before and is it as great as the reviews say?
No, like I mentioned above, 620 loft is NOT actually the top of the rock. Its probably just managed by the people that run it. The top of the rock has an observation deck that is open to the public for an entry fee which I believe is what mayachel is refering too. http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/welcome/default.aspx Rockefeller center actually has many buildings; 620 loft isn''t even in the main building, 30 rockefeller center. 620 loft is on a side building and not nearly the type of view that you would get from the top of the rock as it isn''t even as high as the cathedreal which you can see in the picture you posted above. I hope this provides some clarification. I know it can be hard planning from so far away.

I haven''t been to Per Se but it is supposed to be excelent. Harriet is really good with the resturaunts so you may want to ask her.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Smo,
I did mean that you could pay an entrance fee to go to the observation deck at top of the rock, not the gardens. There are tons of lovely places in the city though. Do you want to be high up? Do you want to be in a park? On the waterfront? I''m thinking of the landing or river park just below the brooklyn bridge. Per Se is delicious. In my experience, if you start with a top rated restaurant and don''t hold onto any notions, other then excellent food, you won''t be disappointed. I personally tend to be "let down" if the food isn''t orgasmic, when I''m told a place is the best ever, even when really it was wonderful food.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results