shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Pearl Connoisseur JTM !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
JT- have you ever bought from American Pearl? What are your thoughts on them?

Their akoyas come in a range of color that I haven''t seen anywhere else (except PO''s Vietnamese multicolor strands), and I''ve been interested in their white baroque akoyas as well.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Hi szh! I did purchase some loose pearls from them to have as focal beads in some necklaces I want to make. I like them. They have great color with very pretty luster. I like the idea of having some pearls that were farmed right here in the US.

If you do a search on another forum that you are a member of, you will see some good reviews of their pearls as well.

I would not spend a great deal of money on them until I make some additional smaller purchases to be sure I like what I receive but so far I have not been disappointed...

Streeter1

Rough_Rock
I think the two of you are talking about two different companies. SZH07 is asking about American Pearl of New York, and jmtomaui just responded about the American Pearl Company of Tennessee. The companies are completely unrelated. The New York company is a retail jewelry store with a website americanpearl.com. The Tennessee company is primarily a wholesale company and their website is americanpearlcompany.com.

I''m not familiar with the New York AP, but the Tennessee company once commericially farmed freshwater pearls in the US (before the Mr. John Latendresse died). Now they mostly just trade in pearls and the company is run by John''s daughter, Gina. The company is very well known and highly respected. But they don''t trade in Akoya pearls.

SZH07, the akoya''s on the website you are referring to are not really a range. They are treated with dye. I think that color chart is sort of deceiving considering most of the colors are not naturally possible. Akoya from Japan and China is pretty much the same in color. Only the Vietnamese pearls are different.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''ve bought 3 items from American Pearl in NY, although not specifically any of the items you''re interested in.

- My first purchase was a pair of AA 8mm stud earrings and they are really nice.
- My second purchase was a single Hanadama pearl slider on a very thin white gold snake chain. The luster and orient on the pearl are fabulous. I''d love to get a whole strand if I ever win the lottery!
- My latest purchase in April was a double strand white freshwater choker they call the First Lady necklace. This was my first freshwater purchase and I was really pleased with the pearls even though at $225 for a double strand, they were modestly priced. I had a bit of trouble with the clasp until I finally came up with a technique that seemed to work, but other than that was really pleased.

I''ve like my American Pearl jewelry a lot more than the one purchase I''ve made from The Pearl Outlet. I first heard about AP from a PS poster 3 or 4 years ago before the pearl ban. I''ve been meaning to take some photos of my pearl jewelry, but we''re in the midst of a big remodel and I can''t find a flat surface around here that doesn''t have stuff all over it!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2009 12:44:59 PM
Author: Streeter1
I think the two of you are talking about two different companies. SZH07 is asking about American Pearl of New York, and jmtomaui just responded about the American Pearl Company of Tennessee. The companies are completely unrelated. The New York company is a retail jewelry store with a website americanpearl.com. The Tennessee company is primarily a wholesale company and their website is americanpearlcompany.com.

I''m not familiar with the New York AP, but the Tennessee company once commericially farmed freshwater pearls in the US (before the Mr. John Latendresse died). Now they mostly just trade in pearls and the company is run by John''s daughter, Gina. The company is very well known and highly respected. But they don''t trade in Akoya pearls.

SZH07, the akoya''s on the website you are referring to are not really a range. They are treated with dye. I think that color chart is sort of deceiving considering most of the colors are not naturally possible. Akoya from Japan and China is pretty much the same in color. Only the Vietnamese pearls are different.
Thanks Streeter!

I''ve talked to both; I talked to a rep. at the American Pearl Co. about a pair of natural rosebuds a year or two back. I was really dedicated to natural pearls at the time (still am, but not actively hunting for them as much as I used to). I''m assuming though JT means American Pearl though, because from what I understood American Pearl Co. doesn''t usually sell to those outside of the trade?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2009 1:01:10 PM
Author: rainwood
I''ve bought 3 items from American Pearl in NY, although not specifically any of the items you''re interested in.

- My first purchase was a pair of AA 8mm stud earrings and they are really nice.

- My second purchase was a single Hanadama pearl slider on a very thin white gold snake chain. The luster and orient on the pearl are fabulous. I''d love to get a whole strand if I ever win the lottery!

- My latest purchase in April was a double strand white freshwater choker they call the First Lady necklace. This was my first freshwater purchase and I was really pleased with the pearls even though at $225 for a double strand, they were modestly priced. I had a bit of trouble with the clasp until I finally came up with a technique that seemed to work, but other than that was really pleased.

I''ve like my American Pearl jewelry a lot more than the one purchase I''ve made from The Pearl Outlet. I first heard about AP from a PS poster 3 or 4 years ago before the pearl ban. I''ve been meaning to take some photos of my pearl jewelry, but we''re in the midst of a big remodel and I can''t find a flat surface around here that doesn''t have stuff all over it!

Rainwood, thank you so much for all of your information! My gosh, a Hanadama slider? That sounds gorgeous. I haven''t ever seen it on their site, did you special order it? Do you think there''s a huge difference between the AA and the Hanadama? I would love to see pictures when you get the chance, I think that Hanadama slider deserves a thread of its own!

I remember that poster; she bought the akoya set with the invisible clasps that you can wear 30 different ways or something, right?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2009 12:08:27 PM
Author: jmtomaui
Hi szh! I did purchase some loose pearls from them to have as focal beads in some necklaces I want to make. I like them. They have great color with very pretty luster. I like the idea of having some pearls that were farmed right here in the US.

If you do a search on another forum that you are a member of, you will see some good reviews of their pearls as well.

I would not spend a great deal of money on them until I make some additional smaller purchases to be sure I like what I receive but so far I have not been disappointed...

What kind of pearls did you order? From American Pearl Co. or American Pearl?

That latter seems to have a bad rep. with that other forum, but I called in once and was more than happy with the customer service and their knowledge about pearls. And I've also seen some testimonials about their excellent quality (Rainwood and another poster a while back)...so why? Some of the bad threads about them were started by the owner of PP... It was because American Pearl put up a banner or something on Google that said Pearl Paradise, and when you clicked on it you went to American Pearl. Yes, definitely, shame on American Pearl for doing that, but I thought it was unnecessary to create a thread about.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Streeter! I appreciate you chiming in - especially as it gives me another place to shop...

szh - I have not purchased from the NY vendor.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Rainwood, I''ll bet your purchases are beautiful. As soon as your remodel is complete, it would be great to see photos - especially of the slider. I''d like to find something like that as an enhancer. And I''ll be looking at their First Lady double strand. I''d like to have one but I don''t think my beading skills are up to multiples yet so I''ll look to buy.

Thanks for offering your experiences!

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/2/2009 1:30:53 PM
Author: szh07

Date: 8/2/2009 12:08:27 PM
Author: jmtomaui

What kind of pearls did you order? From American Pearl Co. or American Pearl?

That latter seems to have a bad rep. with that other forum, but I called in once and was more than happy with the customer service and their knowledge about pearls. And I''ve also seen some testimonials about their excellent quality (Rainwood and another poster a while back)...so why? Some of the bad threads about them were started by the owner of PP... It was because American Pearl put up a banner or something on Google that said Pearl Paradise, and when you clicked on it you went to American Pearl. Yes, definitely, shame on American Pearl for doing that, but I thought it was unnecessary to create a thread about.
I purchased from AP Company of TN. Yes, I was speaking of Jeremy''s posts as it may have an impact on my decision to buy from a company if they are not always ethical.

My DH and I own a design company so I do have a wholesale / business permit and did purchase some loose pearls a few years ago. This was before I found PS and any other forums so I was not swayed by any comments made from others. Like I said, I liked the loose pearls but have not looked at their merchandise lately - buying more form PearlParadise, TPO, or the few eBay vendors we know about.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/2/2009 1:01:10 PM
Author: rainwood

Me too! It''s driving me crazy. I hope your remodeling is done soon!

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/2/2009 12:44:59 PM
Author: Streeter1

I'm not familiar with the New York AP, but the Tennessee company once commericially farmed freshwater pearls in the US (before the Mr. John Latendresse died). Now they mostly just trade in pearls and the company is run by John's daughter, Gina. The company is very well known and highly respected. But they don't trade in Akoya pearls.

SZH07, the akoya's on the website you are referring to are not really a range. They are treated with dye. I think that color chart is sort of deceiving considering most of the colors are not naturally possible. Akoya from Japan and China is pretty much the same in color. Only the Vietnamese pearls are different.
I disagree to an extent. Of the colors they listed, I think the only ones that would have to be dyed (other than the standard bleaching and pinking) are the black and golden akoyas. True natural "golden" akoyas are really more of a champagne color. The "pink" ones look to be rose, and those are treated for the rose overtone, but that's true of any vendor's rose akoyas. The grey and blue look like the blue PP akoyas but with varying intensities of the blue overtone. Varying degrees of ivory/cream are also possible. White pearls are also naturally more of an ivory/cream color. They're bleached to get that bright white color. That being said, I think the American Pearl website uses extremely high color saturation in their photos, so I think the colors are actually more subtle than they appear on the website. So, I do agree that their color chart is a little misleading.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/1/2009 10:32:16 PM
Author:szh07

Their akoyas come in a range of color that I haven''t seen anywhere else (except PO''s Vietnamese multicolor strands), and I''ve been interested in their white baroque akoyas as well.
I''ve also been considering ordering a strand of akoyas from them. I''ll let you know if I do.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2009 3:41:26 PM
Author: brightlight
Date: 8/1/2009 10:32:16 PM

Author:szh07

I''ve also been considering ordering a strand of akoyas from them. I''ll let you know if I do.
Thanks Brightlight! And I agree, their pictures are really excellent/saturated. I''m contemplating buying a pair of studs to check them out.
31.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
JT- Did you buy naturals?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results