shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling NYC dwellers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I just called, but there were no available agents.
What do you think of the Solow?

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
My FI looked at the buliding when he first moved about five years ago. I don''t remember that building in particular, but he remembers it as being small. Solow is definitely a reputable company. I don''t know what your transportation needs are like, but it''s FAR from the subway. The good thing about Glenwood is that there''s a shuttle three times an hour to the subway.

Related Rentals is also a good company.

I wish that we could buy our apartment we love it so much. But... it will never go condo. The only downside is that when the city open the garbage transfer station again it will be across the street... but that won''t happen for many years and we''ll probably be out of here by then.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Amanda! I forgot to look at Related.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
If there are B lines available in my buliding and you''re interested in seeing one furnished, I''d be brave to venture to show you... I know that helped a lot more than seeing an empty place.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
How kind of you! Let me try to reach an agent.
Where are you hoping to move to next?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, are you talking about the Solow One ER project that would rent for 9K, or your own apartment once it goes condo? What I am curious about is, how much is the Solow property, assuming that is the 9K renter? I am curious about purchase price vs. rent. That is one way you can calculate how good an investment it is. From a rough calculation, the price should be around 1.9 -I am curious where it really is.

Amanda you are bringing back my memories. I used to live at 1175 York Ave - York River House. Not exactly where you are, but the same street. I loved it there.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 1:41:26 PM
Author: Beacon
Harriet, are you talking about the Solow One ER project that would rent for 9K, or your own apartment once it goes condo? What I am curious about is, how much is the Solow property, assuming that is the 9K renter? I am curious about purchase price vs. rent. That is one way you can calculate how good an investment it is. From a rough calculation, the price should be around 1.9 -I am curious where it really is.

Amanda you are bringing back my memories. I used to live at 1175 York Ave - York River House. Not exactly where you are, but the same street. I loved it there.
Hi Beacon,

I''m talking about the 1 East River. The good news is that they''ve brought the price down (I just found out) to $8,400. You''re right about the red herring price on my current apartment -- it''s $1.88m.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
We have to renew our lease this year otherwise we''d have to move two weeks after we come back from the honeymoon. We''ve looked at some buildings and we really liked an apartment in the new building on 96th street. We really want to stay on the UES. I grew up on 84th and Madison so I obviously love the area. We''re looking to buy a three bedroom somewhere since my FI (and I to some point
19.gif
) are on the baby train.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 1:48:34 PM
Author: AmandaPanda
We have to renew our lease this year otherwise we''d have to move two weeks after we come back from the honeymoon. We''ve looked at some buildings and we really liked an apartment in the new building on 96th street. We really want to stay on the UES. I grew up on 84th and Madison so I obviously love the area. We''re looking to buy a three bedroom somewhere since my FI (and I to some point
19.gif
) are on the baby train.
I am in agreement with you on the UES. Which new building on 96th are you referring to?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
So how much is the Solow OER?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
$8,400. You used to live right near me!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 1:51:12 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 5/21/2007 1:48:34 PM
19.gif
) are on the baby train.
I am in agreement with you on the UES. Which new building on 96th are you referring to?
It''s 215-217 East 96th Street. It''s a Condop and also includes rentals. It''s a Related property. The H line is very cool. We looked at an empty apartment there. It''s really nice... but so hard to compare to what we already have.
We are also watching the two buildings going up on 86th Street but already the prices look like they are out of our league.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
1 Carnegie Hill? It looks really nice, but the 90s are a bit too far north.
5.gif

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
When my parents moved to 84th Street they thought they were at the ''upper level.'' Now it''s the fancy place to live!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I thought the Solow was for sale? My mistake. It''s an apartment building then?

I like to look at the theoretical "rent" I could get vs. a purchase price. You calculate a relatively risk free rate of return, like 5.5 -6% and figure you should be getting that for a rental amount. So, 2MM unit yielding about 10K/mo rent. That is how I backed into the the 1.9 figure - of course, different markets will require different multipliers. On top of that you need to guesstimate what kind of appreciation you can expect. This way you can justify the purchase price based on a total rate of return.

If your own apartment would rent for much less than $8400, you need to consider that as you observe the purchase price. Prices often reflect a speculative premium, especially in hot markets.

In a city like NY, where there are many rental alternatives, the comparisons are quite easy. It''s important to look at the total return, cause you end up tying a lot of capital up in a property and that capital could be earning returns in an alternative investment vehicle. I bet that is very much on the mind of your FI!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 2:11:29 PM
When my parents moved to 84th Street they thought they were at the ''upper level.'' Now it''s the fancy place to live!
One Carnegie is gorgeous!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 2:14:16 PM
Author: Beacon
I thought the Solow was for sale? My mistake. It''s an apartment building then?

I like to look at the theoretical ''rent'' I could get vs. a purchase price. You calculate a relatively risk free rate of return, like 5.5 -6% and figure you should be getting that for a rental amount. So, 2MM unit yielding about 10K/mo rent. That is how I backed into the the 1.9 figure - of course, different markets will require different multipliers. On top of that you need to guesstimate what kind of appreciation you can expect. This way you can justify the purchase price based on a total rate of return.

If your own apartment would rent for much less than $8400, you need to consider that as you observe the purchase price. Prices often reflect a speculative premium, especially in hot markets.

In a city like NY, where there are many rental alternatives, the comparisons are quite easy. It''s important to look at the total return, cause you end up tying a lot of capital up in a property and that capital could be earning returns in an alternative investment vehicle. I bet that is very much on the mind of your FI!
Yes, the Solow is a rental.
You''re right -- my FI is always going on about opportunity cost. Thanks again, I''ll keep you posted.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amanda,
One Carnegie is sold out!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 2:32:07 PM
Author: Harriet
Amanda,
One Carnegie is sold out!
It''s sold out through the building, but people who have bought the apartments are selling them already. We''ve met one couple who worked for Related and bought an apartment on the H line but aren''t living there... they just got a good price so they''re turning it over.

One good site to look at is http://www.streeteasy.com. It''s pretty accurate.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Amanda. It''s a very useful website.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet -- any updates?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Amanda,

Thanks for checking in.

Last weekend, we looked at all 3 Solow buildings. We decided that we liked the 66th street one best (park and river views, we wouldn''t have to leave the ''hood). However, it is quite a bit more expensive and we''d like a unit higher up than what''s available. So, we''ve decided to wait to see if we even have to move. We''ve asked the owner to let us out of our lease, but have not heard. I think that''s an indication that the conversion isn''t progressing well -- if it were, they''d be in a hurry to get all of us out. Also, we''ve only heard of 2 of our neighbours wanting to buy. Everyone else the doormen and we have spoken to are refusing to buy. As you know, 15% of the building must be pre-sold for the conversion to go through. So, hopefully it won''t!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just received some bad news, and am extremely stressed out. It looks like the conversion is going ahead: The owners are stripping the hallways; sending out non-renewal letters; and nixing month-to-month leases even though the conversion has not been approved. Do we jump ship now or wait till our lease is up and hope that something suitable is out there?
8.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh no. I am so sorry. Is there something else you could rent while looking for something to buy?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, but I''m really attached to this one. It feels like home.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry if I missed a note in the thread giving the reason, but why don''t you want to buy it?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s overpriced and the market is overheated.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
What does FI think you all should do?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rent, and I can't rationally disagree with him.
5.gif
I guess this is the price we pay for living in Manhattan.
Your new avatar is making me smile. Thanks!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know how to make my avatar not look smushy??!?! Do you know?

Gosh, that is crazy. I am sorry. I would rent until it settles down a bit but if you don''t think it will I would buy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results