shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling MOVIE Zombie, With Question for Everybody Else

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hey MZ, :wavey:

I saw an old thread of yours (I was looking for golden pearl threads) about a Pearl You Had Once Seen, that you had fallen in love with.

I ran across this vendor today and I thought of your description:

http://stores.ebay.com/PEARL-SOCIETY-ONLINE

They seem to have quite a huge selection, so maybe something in there will be close to your description? No need to have a 100% natural, is there? Or is cultured a deal-breaker?

I bet what you fell for was the luster. A completely natural pearl would have nothing but nacre, and thicker nacre makes for higher luster (or so I have gathered over the last few weeks lurking here in pearls). So what you are looking for is an individual pearl, south seas to make the size you want, off-round, with AAA super-deep luster.

I have a pair of small 8mm pearls that my great aunt got in Japan in the 1940's. They have that "not quite golden" look that you are talking about. They're not really white, sort of an ecru, actually.

:arrow: QUESTION FOR EVERYBODY: I wonder if the old 1940's pearls looked ecru because they weren't bleached or pinked?

You can also try the guy I got my one (and only) strand from, Jose at TahitianPearls.BIZ, he seems to have some with major nacre. From being over in CS, you and I know that the websites don't show all of a dealer's stock . . .

You continue to search for your pearl and I keep searching for my true red bubblegum ring. I guess they are our "Rosebuds" . . . :rolleyes:

I don't think nacre thickness always equates top luster. Example-- akoyas have a thinner coating of nacre, but those Hanadamas... :love: if you can find the other pearl forum, there are pictures that make them look like ball bearings! The nacre is way thicker in freshwaters (all nacre pretty much) but they really can range in terms of luster.

I think it really comes down to the "subjective" grading AAA, AA+, AA..

And most pearls are cultured now.. finding a natural one worth a necklace is pretty hard and will cost you a chunk of change.

When you talk about your 8mm can you post a picture? :bigsmile: That is a little on the small size for SS pearls.. they sound like Akoyas if they are natural colored. (And, if you have any other pearls... please share :D I love seeing new pieces over here!)

I am not sure of the treatments in 1940, but I do know that older pearls (to me anyways) usually show their age. I wonder if over time body oils and such made them have that ecru appearance and they started out a little brighter? I have no clue but I am interested in the answer! I wonder what the natural blue akoyas will look like in 50 years? Oh god. I'll be almost 80... :o

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander, thanks for thinking of me.

the one i so admired was actually a natural south sea pearl that while a "baroque" wasn't as round as the baroques pictured......but i keep looking at them anyway. and, no, i'm not locked into it must south sea or uncultured....it must please my "eye".

the stone i so admired was also purchased way back when by a family with more money than i'll see in my life time.........sigh.

MoZo

ps i hadn't looked at pearls for awhile and i appreciate your shoutout to go hunting once again! i'm actually likeing some of those goldens......

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results