shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling LD and Other Jewelry Makers

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last nights "make"! I love the chunky contemporary feel. The gemstones are Botswana Agate and faceted silver shel pearls. Imagine in winter wearing a black high neck jumper and this over the top :love: I can't wait for Winter!!!!!

wirework_botswana_agate_silver_faceted_shell_pearls.jpg

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1347814705|3269104 said:
Last nights "make"! I love the chunky contemporary feel. The gemstones are Botswana Agate and faceted silver shel pearls. Imagine in winter wearing a black high neck jumper and this over the top :love: I can't wait for Winter!!!!!

really REALLY cool! You've got such great talent - nice work!! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay - next question everyone (prompted by LD's work from last night)

Where do you seek and/or get your inspiration - from nature, from other jewelry pieces, from abstract art? Let's hear it...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1347820347|3269137 said:

Where do you seek and/or get your inspiration - from nature, from other jewelry pieces, from abstract art? Let's hear it...

Interesting question. From everywhere really. I may see somebody wearing a piece and want to recreate or make something similar to it or I may see a tutorial online but then change it a bit! Last nights make was inspired by a tutorial I saw last week online (which I couldn't find when I wanted to follow it)!

Once you understand the basics of beading, wirework etc., you see items in shops and think "I can do that" and then give it a try! I particularly like to do that because I can then do it in the colours I want.

I'm really only a beginner - I didn't start doing this until a few months ago and have dabbled in lots of different techniques. I actually find it relaxing and the beauty about this hobby is that if you don't like a piece you simply take it apart and start again (or move on). Also when you get bored with a piece you can take it apart. Breakages are easy to deal with as well if you have the tools (which is a must when you start out).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Geez, LD, you make it sound so easy! I have absolutely no ideas nor creative bones in my body and would be forced to copy the instructions step by step. Your work is amazing even if you consider yourself a beginner.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1347820347|3269137 said:

From nature, mainly. Even my abstract/geometric pieces are usually inspired by naturey things. Or spaceships. I do like me some science fiction.

Of the things I posted, the hexagonal tsavorite ring was inspired by beehives (I don't know how I got to bees from tsavorite, but whatever), the cuff is eyes and caviar (it was for a Halloween-themed swap and I find caviar terrifying), the comet and carapace pendants are self-explanatory, and the acid-etched ring is a floraly pattern. The only one that isn't explicitly nature-inspired that I posted is the london blue topaz ring, which came about because I liked some stuff on Janish Jewels that had twisted wire around a bezel, but didn't have any money to buy anything at that time!

I have a whole pinterest board of inspirational jewelry that is within my skill set, and I always intend to look at it before I make things but that never happens. Haha.

Most often how things start is that I want to practice a certain technique that day - like, "Today I want to rivet something! What can I make that needs to be riveted?" and then I have to come up with an idea of what I can make that uses that technique. I have a whole notebook of design sketches and ideas, but often what I draw is just beyond my reach at the time of drawing, so what I'm making from my notebook was drawn in the past. The carapace pendant was one of the first things I sketched when I started taking classes, but it didn't get made until two years later. I still don't have the beading skills to make the necklace I want to hang it from (stick coral, the more bug-leggy the better).

And LD - that necklace you most recently posted would not just look great over a black turtleneck, but also over a heathered grey tank top.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
LD that's a great necklace and "only" a night's work :) You're streets ahead of me and I've been going about the same time.

One thing I can highly recommend for anyone trying this is to join a local lapiary club. I was really fortunate to find one that is terrific! A wonderfully knowledgeable wire wrapping teacher and assorted other talents available. Need a focal bead of a certain colour to wire wrap? Pick a rock from the shop and someone will cab it for you that afternoon! Tricky smooth edge? No problem...again someone will grind an edge you can wrap.

For instance I fell in love with this squishy mustard jasper heart and bought it online only to discover when I went to hang it that it was too heavy one side and didn't hang straight. Mel (lapidiary) took that extra weight off so that it would :)) yessss. I also dropped another and broke the point off - Mel reshaped that too and you'd never know it.

Personally I get caught up drooling over the beads themselves - can't stop myself buying them. Actually truth be told, I probably like the beads more than I like the wire wrapping :rolleyes:

The heart is going with these gumdrop carnelians and some tumbled lighter yellow calcite and tiny faceted citrines on handmade gold-filled wire links. Must finish.

jasper-heart.png

carnelian-w-shell.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Starzin - everybody NEEEEEDS a Mel!!! Lucky you! I'm very jealous - but then again, knowing me, it's probably a good thing I don't have a Mel otherwise it'd just be another area that I've have to go into and think about :lol:

The carnelians (with some small gold balls as you've said) and that wonderful shell would be stunning together. Even just looking at those had me thinking of designs (and they're not even mine)!!!!! :loopy:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
:lol: Yep...Mel is Oh So Talented. The beauty of it is you don't have to get into the nitty gritty 'cos she already knows how to do it and, well, just does :lol:

When I said lapidary, I just mean a "rockhounds" group. They have wire wrapping, faceting, silver-smithing and beading groups as well as lapidary. I just go and sit in the wire group. They also can buy sterling silver and gold-filled wire at wholesale prices so it's much cheaper to buy those supplies there. Then they were able to put me onto a wholesale bead supplier, I have to pay the retail price but still much cheaper than anywhere else and you would not believe the amount of stock he has! Almost anything your little heart desires in the way of gemstone beads :love: It cost me a lot of money the first time I went.

Yes, red carnelian are just gorgeous and they do look good with that shell - hope you've got an "inspiration notebook" :tongue:

I also wonder if you've come across Snap-set or Snap-tite settings yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2jGSusREb8 They only come in calibrated sizes but they literally snap onto proper gems and you can either feed wire through the back or make a loop out of the "stalk". Got spare gemmies around? :Up_to_something: You might enjoy a look through http://www.andantedesignerjewelry.com/CATALOG/catalog_1.htm
mainly bead necklaces with ww pendants but I think she does a nice job on the pendants and I wouldn't be surprised if this included Snap-set.

andante-rhodo_garnet.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Starzin, I need those snap tite settings!!! Can you buy them in the UK do you know? Can I also have the link for the wholesale place where you buy at retail prices? I've got a few websites that I use for gemstones but the more the merrier!

Did you do the wire wrapped pendants in the photo above? If so, you are mighty talented! I can't master the technique of framing and then doing the little wrapped bits. Don't think I have enough patience and my nails are too long as well!

BTW, no, I most definitely have not indulged in an "inspiration notebook and matching pencil" :lol: I'll tell you what I do have though ..... tons of bits of paper containing pictures/photos of ideas. It's got a bit unwieldy though so perhaps I need to invest in a folder for them all!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
OMG Starzin, I need those snap tite settings!!! Can you buy them in the UK do you know? Can I also have the link for the wholesale place where you buy at retail prices? I've got a few websites that I use for gemstones but the more the merrier!
I thought you might be interested in those ;)) I had a quick Google and don't know if you have this site marked http://www.kernowcraft.com/products/jewellery-settings/ . I know you're a savvy lady but as with gems - read carefully as not all their settings are Snaptite. I've placed you at the main settings page, when you've done with settings you can look at their beads :bigsmile: They've got a sale on *she whispers*.

Unfortunately the guy doesn't have a website. However these are two sites I have used a fair bit and have always been pleased with the quality of beads and findings.
http://www.polymerclay.com.au/index.php - has a currency converter up top.
http://www.beadsvenue.com.au/index.php
I also used ebay and etsy quite a lot when I was starting but often the postage was a bit hefty and I don't like waiting 3 weeks instead of 3 days when I've decided I need something. The quality can also be a bit iffy. If you want some of the ones I've used let me know. Fortunately we don't pay tax on anything under $1000 so customs wasn't a problem, it might be different in the UK.

Did you do the wire wrapped pendants in the photo above? If so, you are mighty talented! I can't master the technique of framing and then doing the little wrapped bits. Don't think I have enough patience and my nails are too long as well!
OMG no! That's what I aspire to :lol: The link to her site is above. And I lack patience and have nails too.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin - thank you for the links. I had found Kernow before but actually haven't used them but might do so!

I thought you might like to see what I made last night ............ this is my first attempt at weaving and comprises purple and silver faceted shell pearls. I'm really pleased with the effect/end result.

pearl_faceted_bracelet1.jpg

pearl_faceted_bracelet2.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome. I couldn't find many UK listings actually, I'm sure there must be more - you've probably found http://www.beadshopuk.com/ as well.

WOW...you are the intrepid technique explorer aren't you? It looks great and I love the nice big leaf toggle - well done you! Thanks for posting it, I hadn't noticed those faceted shell pearls anywhere till I saw yours in the first pieces you posted.

A friend in another state sent me two broken necklaces to restring for her today - where do I find the video for the weaving technique since she wants a bracelet out of a lot of amethyst beads.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't find a video tutuorial but here's a link that shows photo by photo what you do http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.134365839969572.28347.100001884698897&type=1

BUT a few tips:

1. If you want to have a more even finish at the ends (ie symmetrical rather than off to one side) like in the tutorial, don't start with a clasp and then work to the other side. Simply clip the beading thread securely leaving long lengths so you can add on if you need to.

2. You will need to add on to both ends to get the same "look" as mine if that's what you want to do.

3. If you're going to create a pattern, definitely lay out your gems on the floor so you know what goes where. Although this pattern looks easy it's not - especialy as it's done in two halves.

4. If you finish off both ends when you're done you can always adjust the length to make sure you have enough/not enough pearls to get the desired length.

Just for info, you could just leave the bracelet as the smaller version in the tutorial as it looks just as good. I did one to practice and it's a wearable piece!

Hope that helps.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! I can imagine next up: jewelry making tutorials with some of our resident jewelry makers1 :Up_to_something: How awesome!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks LD that's just what I needed and thank you for the tips!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure this thread is going to be getting on people's nerves but ............. here's today's make! It's made from Mookite which I love (the larger gemstones) and Moonstone (the smaller ones), interspersed with small gold balls.

mookite_necklace.jpg

mookite_necklace1.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, you guys make such pretty things! I wanna play. :naughty:

I've been silversmithing as a hobby for 15 years or so - before that, I did beadwork, but once I mimicked my forebears and discovered fire, game over. Since then, some wirework, but mostly fabrication. So, a few examples - an acorn pendant and a few rings I made ....

acornpendant.jpg

greentourmaline-ring.jpg

purple-tourmalin-ring.jpg

spike-ring.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's the assortment of wedding bands I made up for my husband before he settled on a design (perched on top of my miniature workbench, because I am a geek):

band_models.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my! Circe they are superb. Honestly, incredibly well made. I really love them all and I had so many ideas when I looked at the acorn as to what could be done wth that!!! My only reservation is the spike ring - I guess if you want to protect yourself it's an essential item but might be dangerous if you're running your hands through your hair or scratching your nose! :lol:

As for the wedding bands? They are simply gorgeous - do you sell them? If not, you should.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And here are a few shots of a little metal dollhouse I made, just for kicks - these are all unfinished, just realized I never did any of the completed version:

nanocramo_001.jpg

nanocramo_002.jpg

nanocramo_003.jpg

nanocramo_004.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And a few more - envisioned it as a kind of a Venetian palazzo, what with the Moorish door and all. :)

nanocramo_005.jpg

nanocramo_006.jpg

nanocramo_007.jpg

nanocramo_008.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LD|1348230896|3272150 said:
Oh my! Circe they are superb. Honestly, incredibly well made. I really love them all and I had so many ideas when I looked at the acorn as to what could be done wth that!!! My only reservation is the spike ring - I guess if you want to protect yourself it's an essential item but might be dangerous if you're running your hands through your hair or scratching your nose! :lol:

As for the wedding bands? They are simply gorgeous - do you sell them? If not, you should.

Heheheh - thanks, LD! I made the spike ring when I was a teenager living in a bad neighborhood, and it served me well over the years. The spikes aren't sharp enough to scratch yourself on - just enough to make an impression (as it were) if somebody is thinking of harassing you.

I've actually been thinking of starting a shop of some sort (got a URL, wondering if Etsy is better for exposure), since my baby's big enough now to sit quietly next to me while I work. But since I need to get back in tip-top shape ....

... how would you guys feel about having some kind of communal project? Jen W and I were talking about maybe starting a tiara thread for the crafters. We could do it like National Novel Writing Month, only National Craft Working Month (it's how the little house got made, actually). Anybody up for a NaNoCraMo? :rodent:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe I don't sell anything I make - although I make presents for friends etc so Etsy is a "no no" for me BUT I'd be interested in sharing ideas with other crafters (whatever the medium). I wonder if PS would allow us to have our own section? Crafters unite or something like that!!!!! I guess if people see what we're making and then they want something they could ask either in that forum or in the sale section? As I said, this is not a business for me but I'd be happy to contribute.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe: First off, I had no idea you were hiding such talent! Congratulations, and yes, you should do something with all that talent and the lovely pieces you make. Secondly, I would love a craft thread or collaborative working thread, if that's what you mean (not sure I understood)...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe,
Your work is stunningly professional level looking and you do quite a variety of work. It would be great if PS allows a new subsection for crafters.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter says I'm on jewellery making fire! I was inspired by two designs I saw today and just HAD to make these!

First one is all Botswana Agate with a little bit of Smokey Quartz linked with silver chain and charms. The back of the necklace is a double strand link of chain (to save on gemstones but actually it compliments the front of the necklace well I think).

The second one is pink banded Agate with black Tourmaline, silver chain and silver balls with a matching pair of earrings. Unfortunately this one doesn't photograph well and looks quite cheap and plasticky in the photo but in real life it's actually very rich and warm looking!

Hope you like them.

botswana_agate_and_silver_necklace_1.jpg

pink_banded_agate__amp__tourmaline_necklace_1.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Geez Louise..you've got a regular production line going there LOL. I :love: mookaite it's such an interesting stone and that necklace is great - as are the others you just posted! Love the lashings of silver and your eye for combination.

Circe - you really are skilled! Those rings are wonderful (errrm I can appreciate the skill in the spike ring but...) and the doll's house is gorgeous. Do you still have it? Can you take a photo of the completed piece? I love the windows (curtains!) and door. What's the copper base it's resting on intended for?

While I'm too slow to take part in a monthly project or something - hmmm... OTOH maybe it would get me going :naughty: - I would love to see a forum for displaying all the handmade pieces like this that PSers create.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Umm...okay I just managed to get these two successfully loaded and edited (new camera)

A ruby and kyanite pendant wrapped in sterling silver and a necklace I made for a friend who wanted a "black and white" piece. It's lava beads, freshwater pearls and sterling. I rather liked the rough with the smooth idea and she seemed pleased.

In retrospect I should have asked someone at the club to see if they could improve the polish on the pendant stone but I'm not unwrapping it! Also unfortunately the amazonite beads I have seem a bit too pale for it (and they're earmarked for another necklace anyway) so this will have to wait a few weeks till I get something appropriate for it.

ruby-kyanite-wrap.jpg

alison-lavabeads-freshpearls.jpg

alison-lava-pearls-close.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the juxtaposition of rough and smooth luster, black and white...very nice indeed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results