shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling John Pollard!!! ACA/fluoro question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Hi John, question about ACA designation - does the degree of fluoro affect the possibility of getting an ACA brand? In other words, could a stone be cherry but because of say strong fluoro, would it automatically become an Expert Selection instead? Just would like to know if this is a WF/Brian Gavin philosophy or possibly just a brand decision. Thanks!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 8:07:11 PM
Author::)
Hi John, question about ACA designation - does the degree of fluoro affect the possibility of getting an ACA brand? In other words, could a stone be cherry but because of say strong fluoro, would it automatically become an Expert Selection instead? Just would like to know if this is a WF/Brian Gavin philosophy or possibly just a brand decision. Thanks!
I''m not john so I''ll let him answer officially - but I''m certain that there is a fluor threshold that would alone prevent an ACA designation. Unfortunately I dn''t know what that threshold is. I just know that someone here bought a stone that would have been aca IF it had not been strong blue.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Correct, but it's a case by case (st/vst). It's no insult to those diamonds, it's just his thing...an "old school" diamantaire thing. For a long time fluoro was frowned on by the trade. Modern studies burst those myth-bubbles (here is a fantastic read) but Brian has five generations of traditional roots and his tree doesn't move so easily. It's like his hyper-pickiness with hearts patterning and ideal levels of polish & symmetry: There may be no visible difference but that doesn't matter; for him that's what it takes. That's fine with me. He built the country club. He can decide who gets in.
2.gif

Thanks for asking.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 11:43:37 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
Correct, but it''s a case by case (st/vst). It''s no insult to those diamonds, it''s just his thing...an ''old school'' diamantaire thing. For a long time fluoro was frowned on by the trade. Modern studies burst those myth-bubbles (here is a fantastic read) but Brian has five generations of traditional roots and his tree doesn''t move so easily. It''s like his hyper-pickiness with hearts patterning and ideal levels of polish & symmetry: There may be no visible difference but that doesn''t matter; for him that''s what it takes. That''s fine with me. He built the country club. He can decide who gets in.
2.gif

Thanks for asking.
so what *always* gets in? faint? med? and then sometimes strong ut never vstrong?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 11:55:57 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

so what *always* gets in? faint? med? and then sometimes strong ut never vstrong?
In my time here yes, but I don't know that it's written in stone. Fun info for a game of PS trivia.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for giving us that link John. I wish you could cut and paste from that report, I especially liked the last paragraph where it stated that the study challanged the long help belief by the trade that fluorescence adversely affected higher color diamonds and stated that the trade would be better off to consider each diamond on a one by one basis. Sage advice!

Wink

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 11:43:37 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
Correct, but it''s a case by case (st/vst). It''s no insult to those diamonds, it''s just his thing...an ''old school'' diamantaire thing. For a long time fluoro was frowned on by the trade. Modern studies burst those myth-bubbles (here is a fantastic read) but Brian has five generations of traditional roots and his tree doesn''t move so easily. It''s like his hyper-pickiness with hearts patterning and ideal levels of polish & symmetry: There may be no visible difference but that doesn''t matter; for him that''s what it takes. That''s fine with me. He built the country club. He can decide who gets in.
2.gif

Thanks for asking.
Thanks for answering - Wow, that is very interesting - you are right that it is his country club so his rules! So it is an eyeball by eyeball thing? If that is the case I would not be sure how he would differentiate solely on fluoro if all else was equal, unless the fluoro was actually negatively affecting performance somehow.
I did not know about the old school thing with fluoro being frowned upon - what about the old blue white craze (the actual colorless with blue fluoro, not with color and fluoro trying to make it look better)? Were they frowned upon, then popular, then frowned upon again? I had also seen posted that diamantaires often tend to prefer fluoro (Garry and I think Oldminer and maybe Wink have posted this?) - is that now versus in the past?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, I have comnented on it. When I joined the trade one of my early mentors told me to always charge a premium for such stones, and the nice ones were extraordinary.

Soon after the investment craze hit and fluorescence became a bad word to people who did not understand it because it was outside the norm of their experience (because they had been selling something else last week) . The diamonds for investment craze was NOT a good thing for the industry in my opinion. I am sure there are other reasons for the fluorescence not being in favor with some of the old timers in the wholesale end of the business, but I can tell you that for a time, we retailers LOVED it and actively sought them out. I still do, as I still love them for their beauty!

Wink

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2007 2:03:32 PM
Author: Wink
Yes, I have comnented on it. When I joined the trade one of my early mentors told me to always charge a premium for such stones, and the nice ones were extraordinary.

Soon after the investment craze hit and fluorescence became a bad word to people who did not understand it because it was outside the norm of their experience (because they had been selling something else last week) . The diamonds for investment craze was NOT a good thing for the industry in my opinion. I am sure there are other reasons for the fluorescence not being in favor with some of the old timers in the wholesale end of the business, but I can tell you that for a time, we retailers LOVED it and actively sought them out. I still do, as I still love them for their beauty!

Wink
yes... the only two regrets I have about my stone is that it doesn''t have strong fluor and it doesn''t have a bigger culet.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree..., fluor. diamonds can only be judged on a one on one basis..., just like allmost everything else regarding diamonds.. (take for example, colored diamonds and the majority of fancy shaped/cut diamonds).

The right diamond with its correct fluorescence gets that crispy clear "water"!!!! a beautifull appearance.

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
Facinating study-thanks for sharing the article John.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results