shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling I'mDanny!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Danny -- Didn't you put up a link to vids of the Duchess of Windsor's jewel sale? Can't find it & figure it's taken down because we aren't supposed to link to YouTube.

Anyway -- wanted to thank you. Seeing film of those pieces sparkling is so much more powerful than seeing photos. The panther bracelet is gasp-worthy in any medium but breathtaking when somebody manipulates it to show its incredible suppleness & grace.

Also wanted to tell you that you're responsible for an hour after that of roaming through other videos of royal & priceless jewelry. I couldn't stop! Don't care what else didn't get done, it was worth it & I'm sure I'll waste more time yet on videos I didn't have time for yesterday!

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hmm... Yesterday I posted a link to a YouTube video from the sale of Wallis' jewels, including some sparcling close-ups of the panther bracelet. Are you talking about this one, Laurie? If so, the link is still tere on page 266 of the Royal Jewels thread. You can see the link below two photos of similar bracelets.

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Right, it was you, Bobby. Somehow I remembered that Danny had done it & looking for his avatar, could not find the post. Oh well, brain fade.

So the post meant for him goes to you! Much time spent looking at videos of beautiful gems & jewelry, little else done, but who cares?

--- Laurie

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Laurie, excuse me, I did too, some weeks or months ago. I'm not not going back to look for it. I've had the flu for four days. Urgh!

The articulated panther bracelet is an an incredible piece. They say she was a lonely person in the end. Well, it wasn't for lack of jewelry.

Thanks.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Danny, hope you're on the mend! Yuck. Being sick when you live alone is the worst of pits, too. I tend to feel so sorry for myself, wanting somebody to pet me & scratch me behind the ears. Get purring again, honey!

Glad to hear you did post something on that auction too, at least I'm not nuts. Agree about the panther bracelet -- what a marvelous piece of engineering and art. It's worth every penny the buyer paid.

The DoW may have been lonely, but from what I read she was too goony to be much of anything for a number of years. She was not a person who offered real friendship to others, by that I mean, care regardless of benefit or not to herself. Loneliness could be a result.

Also read that some of her jewelry disappeared after she lost her marbles; there were various caretakers in & out. Since reading about that, I have wondered what I would do in that sort of situation, loving them as I do. It would be easy to justify to oneself the lifting of "just a tiny little thing"... no heirs; no family; she won't wear it again, blah blah. I don't think I'd give in to the admittedly overwhelming temptation; I know I wouldn't be able to wear, say, a ring, without hating myself & what I'd done. Heaven's sake, I return change when I get too much, tell a sales clerk when she charges me too little. But it's one of those times when you don't know how you'd act till you're in it. SO easy to slip a small pair of earrings into one's pocket, who knows?

Anybody else?

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Danny, I'm sorry I don't remeber your links. Hope you'll be better soon.

Regards,
Bobby

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, no problem. Thanks. :wavey:

Laurie, you paint an interesting psychological portrait of her, one with which I could imagine no disagreement. She does seem to have been such a self-centered person. This is kind of morbid but I do wonder sometimes how people like that keep their jewelry. I mean Elizabeth Taylor, where does she keep all that stuff? She can't be thinking every minute, "Where is the pearl?" At some point it seems like she'd have to trust someone but who? And I doubt she doesn't have her diamond ring. Well, hopefully she'll have better relationships than the Duchess of whom I am not a fan (a lot of historical unpleasant- anyone can Google it).

BTW, I felt a little better day. I got out of bed for the first time in five days, basically, and I even got some errands done, so I won't be by myself very much longer. The cat is upset. You know how cats get when the sense something is changing? Well, I told her what was going to happen months ago. My mother said I should get her a sedative at vet for the trip since I have to pay for the health certificate anyway (not that those two thoughts were much connected in my mind) and I think I'll do that. One foot in front of the other. Maybe tomorrow I'll make more progress. As far as the ethics, I always tell my cat she should be a cat bugler and hit Harry Winston and Cartier in Honolulu. I told her I'll give her a list. She just stares at me. :nono:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear you're on your feet, Danny. Flu is no fun, especially alone. But you're not alone because we are here for you, even if we can't give you chicken soup. I'm sure your cat senses changes, and as you say, do they ever hate that! I have taken cats with me on 2 intercontinental moves & a number within the country too. I tranquilized mine the first time but didn't find it made much difference & haven't done it since. When they're upset & hyped up anyway, sometimes tranquilizers can do more harm than good. All it did for mine was make her sleep most of the day we arrived at the new place.

Imdanny|1296088083|2834114 said:
This is kind of morbid but I do wonder sometimes how people like that keep their jewelry. I mean Elizabeth Taylor, where does she keep all that stuff? She can't be thinking every minute, "Where is the pearl?" At some point it seems like she'd have to trust someone but who?

That's a good point. Don't you suppose some of it is in a safe in the house? And maybe the most valuable & less worn stuff at a bank? But E.T. can hardly do errands to her safe deposit box herself; she's got to trust someone to go get things for her. I think it's different when you're compos mentis & will notice if something's missing & know who was last to see it. The trouble starts when you get senile as the DoW did. Who's gonna know right away that it's gone? By the time whoever's in charge discovers the theft, a zillion people could have been in & out. And in the case of the DoW, who had so much jewelry, if it's a smaller thing, it might never be noticed. Sad situation.

Agree about her. She was not a good example. Crude, brassy & totally self-centered.

--- Laurie

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone seen Danny lately? :confused:

Wondering if he's moving, he said he'd be out for a month . . .

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Been wondering too. He must be on the move. Hope it's going well & he comes back soon.

--- Laurie

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
ILander and Laurie,

I don't know how much I can post in the near future because I'm still getting settled but the move went off without a hitch.

Thanks for thinking of me. :wavey:

Danny

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yay, Danny! Glad to hear it went well. Would like to hear more when you get time. :appl:

--- Laurie

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1298307101|2856579 said:
ILander and Laurie,

I don't know how much I can post in the near future because I'm still getting settled but the move went off without a hitch.

Thanks for thinking of me. :wavey:

Danny

HI DANNY! :wavey: :wavey:

I can't wait til you're back to your usual time allotment on PS! We miss hearing from you!

I have been busy lately, too. So glad your move worked out! :appl:

I feel much better, now that I know you didn't disappear! Picture of me: :bigsmile:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Back at you, iLander! :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hi Danny! Here's your smile for the day: :D

Hi Jewelfreak! :wavey: Totally stealing your thread here, sorry!

I do love royal jewelry, too, though. I'm planning on having some of my own someday. :lol:

I SO totally could be a princess, I am totally ready. I know what all those forks are for, and which glass is for the red wine and which is for the white. I can use a knife rest. I can curtsey like nobody's business. I even know how to wave without showing my palm!

I am completely qualified. :appl:

Now if I can just get Prince Henry to consider an older woman . . .
:lol: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results