carat
color
clarity

Calling DS and other owners of 3-stone rings

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all,

So I have a 1.7ct BGD which I am thinking of turning into another 3-stone ring. The centre stone would be around 7.7mm in diameter. I am thinking of getting sidestones of 6mm each. This is my second (or is it third?) attempt of trying to get the proportions right; and it would be for my RH which is size 4.50-4.75.

Would that be ok? Would the centre stone be too small? I have the option of using one or more of my other stones (currently up for sale), one is an 8.5mm and the other 8.9mm. The total width across all the stones, with the 7.7mm centre stone, would be approx 19.7mm.

My previous 3-stone ring, which had a centre stone of 8.5mm and sidestones of 7.40mm each, was rather wide (with a total width across all stones of 23.3mm). It went over the edges of my finger, making it slightly uncomfortable and rather unattractive.

I am really missing the 3-stone look and as I don't have any RHR at the moment, I'm quite excited about this project and hope to get the proportions right once and for all. Just an FYI, am hoping to also re-use the previous LM setting.

What do you think?

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix|1358483506|3358446 said:
Hello all,

So I have a 1.7ct BGD which I am thinking of turning into another 3-stone ring. The centre stone would be around 7.7mm in diameter. I am thinking of getting sidestones of 6mm each. This is my second (or is it third?) attempt of trying to get the proportions right; and it would be for my RH which is size 4.50.

Would that be ok? Would the centre stone be too small? I have the option of using one or more of my other stones (currently up for sale), one is an 8.5mm and the other 8.9mm. The total width across all the stones, with the 7.7mm centre stone, would be approx 19.7mm.

My previous 3-stone ring, which had a centre stone of 8.5mm and sidestones of 7.40mm each, was rather wide (with a total width across all stones of 23.3mm). It went over the edges of my finger, making it slightly uncomfortable and rather unattractive.

I am really missing the 3-stone look and as I don't have any RHR at the moment, I'm quite excited about this project and hope to get the proportions right once and for all. Just an FYI, am hoping to also re-use the previous LM setting.

What do you think?

I think 6mm side stones with your 1.7ct center would look perfect! I have a 6.5mm center and two 4.5mm sidestones and I wouldn't go any smaller.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1358483773|3358453 said:
Hello all,

So I have a 1.7ct BGD which I am thinking of turning into another 3-stone ring. The centre stone would be around 7.7mm in diameter. I am thinking of getting sidestones of 6mm each. This is my second (or is it third?) attempt of trying to get the proportions right; and it would be for my RH which is size 4.50.

What do you think?

I think 6mm side stones with your 1.7ct center would look perfect! I have a 6.5mm center and two 4.5mm sidestones and I wouldn't go any smaller.

That's great to know!:) May I ask: what finger size are you? Do you have pics please?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Phoenix,

I think with a 1.7 carat stone, 0.60s would be nice. Tiffany does a 2:1 ratio, a nice blingy look, so if you want to follow that, you'd need 2 x 0.85ers.

I followed the Tiffany ratio myself, and I have a one carat with half carat each sides. I think it's very blingy.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix|1358483973|3358456 said:
04diamond<3|1358483773|3358453 said:
Hello all,

What do you think?

That's great to know!:) May I ask: what finger size are you? Do you have pics please?

Haha, I have chubby 8.5 fingers ;( I love the three stone you currently have! Or is it not in that setting anymore? Or are you wanting to upgrade the side stones? I also just bought two 4.0 or 4.5mm diamonds to add to this ring to make it a 5 stone, but due to hard financial times it's being postponed.

download_4.jpg

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenix, I don't have a three stone ring but having seen your bling, I think it would be better if you stick to a larger centre stone but use smaller side stones. Maybe the same centre stone in the old LM 3-stone but with smaller sides this round. Else, you might soon find 1.7ct centre too small especially when you're used to Holly. :wink2:

A suggestion:
1. Measure the mm of your finger from edge to edge (Example: 18mm).
2. Subtract large centre stone diameter (eg: 8.5mm) from 15mm, 18-8.5 = 9.5mm
3. 9.5mm/2 = 4.75mm per side stone

However, this suggestion doesn't take into account ratio/proportion, just utilising the large centre stone.

CrazyBirdLady

Shiny_Rock
Wow Phoenix it sounds like we are doing the exact same project. I love those proportions (.80 1.70 .80) and think they give great finger coverage. Have a look at the two links below and see what you think. They are the exact sizes you are wanting and both were made by BGD

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-upgrade-arrived-photos.141276/?hilit=bgd']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-upgrade-arrived-photos.141276/?hilit=bgd[/URL] arrived

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-dream-20th-anniversary-ring-by-brian-gavin.127692/?hilit=brian']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-dream-20th-anniversary-ring-by-brian-gavin.127692/?hilit=brian[/URL] anniversary

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all,

So I have a 1.7ct BGD which I am thinking of turning into another 3-stone ring. The centre stone would be around 7.7mm in diameter. I am thinking of getting sidestones of 6mm each. This is my second (or is it third?) attempt of trying to get the proportions right; and it would be for my RH which is size 4.50-4.75.

What do you think?

Would you be able to reuse the setting w/ such significant size differences? That's almost a mm on the center..?

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Phoenix

I think the size of your center Stone and sides will also depend on how you set the three stones -- straight across or sides slightly angled and tucked under the center. My 3-stone has a 8.3mm center and 6.0mm sides so the total mm across the finger is 20.3. My ring size is now a 5.5 for reference. It also will depend on how you want the ring to look. Do you want a "wall of bling" or do you prefer to have your center stone pop? A mount with slightly higher set stones will also help with the issue of comfort. I've attached a couple of photos of my ring to give you an idea of coverage. I hope it helps.

09111.jpg

1ctebay.jpg

_3150.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Hey Phoenix! SK is making my 3 stone ring now. It is a 8mm center and then 4.5mm sides I believe. I perfer the center stone to pop a bit more and I like the difference in proportions. I would get something around .6-.8 (each stone not tcw) for your sides. I those proportions would look amazing!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1358484984|3358467 said:
Hi Phoenix,

I think with a 1.7 carat stone, 0.60s would be nice. Tiffany does a 2:1 ratio, a nice blingy look, so if you want to follow that, you'd need 2 x 0.85ers.

I followed the Tiffany ratio myself, and I have a one carat with half carat each sides. I think it's very blingy.

I do love the 2:1 ratio. My very first 3-stone ring had a 0.90ct-ish centre and 0.50ct-ish each sides and I loved it. Only problem was DSS set in!

BGD doesn't have two matching 0.85ct stones at the moment that wld match with my centre stone. It's ok, I can hold out - am not in any particular hurry.

Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont have a 3 stone but I hope this helps. I prefer about a 70%

file.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1358488460|3358502 said:
Haha, I have chubby 8.5 fingers ;( I love the three stone you currently have! Or is it not in that setting anymore? Or are you wanting to upgrade the side stones? I also just bought two 4.0 or 4.5mm diamonds to add to this ring to make it a 5 stone, but due to hard financial times it's being postponed.]

download_4.jpg [/quote]

No, you don't have chubby fingers - at all! You have long fingers which are proportional to your lovely hands.

Oh, the MEGA 3-stone ring, lol?! I've had that taken apart, it was too wide for my finger.

The thing is, I have a lone 1.7ct BGD which am hoping to "upgrade" or more accurately change to another 1.7ct of a lower colour and/ or clarity, and then I'd purchase sidestones to go with that. Don't know yet which size sidestones I'd like, hence this thread. :))

I hope you get to set your 5-stone ring soon. I shall keep an eye out for your thread. Fingers crossed and PS dust for you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ashleigh|1358497217|3358533 said:
Phoenix, I don't have a three stone ring but having seen your bling, I think it would be better if you stick to a larger centre stone but use smaller side stones. Maybe the same centre stone in the old LM 3-stone but with smaller sides this round. Else, you might soon find 1.7ct centre too small especially when you're used to Holly. :wink2:

A suggestion:
1. Measure the mm of your finger from edge to edge (Example: 18mm).
2. Subtract large centre stone diameter (eg: 8.5mm) from 15mm, 18-8.5 = 9.5mm
3. 9.5mm/2 = 4.75mm per side stone

However, this suggestion doesn't take into account ratio/proportion, just utilising the large centre stone.

Ha ha, I love an enabler :bigsmile: :appl: and the calculation. It makes a LOT of sense.

Alas, I'd really love to sell the 2.374ct and some other stuff. Well, either that or the 2.656ct unless a match to either is found soon (still waiting for my earrings ::) ). I kind of promised DH that I would as a pre-condition of purchasing Holly.

So I currently have a 1.7ct BGD which, as I mentioned just now in the thread immediately above this, could be changed to one of the same size but with a lower colour and/ or clarity. Then, I could utilise the difference as credit towards the purchase of 2 small sidestones, which shouldn't cost too much.

Anyway, a 1.7ct centre plus the two 6mm each sidestones should give me a total width across of approx 19.7mm which I THINK should be the width of my finger, measured from edge to edge. Mind you, I've never had my finger measured but I do know that my previous 3-stone LM ring was too big, due primarily to the larger sidestones of 7.4mm each (oh that and the centre stone being 8.5mm each :tongue: ). So the combined width of 23.3mm resulted in the ring hanging over the edges of my finger. :nono:

ETA: Besides, don't you think that a very blingy 3-stone ring would be too much competition for Holly? Not sure how she'd cope, lol!! :wink2: :cheeky:

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix|1358516184|3358605 said:
04diamond<3|1358488460|3358502 said:
Haha, I have chubby 8.5 fingers ;( I love the three stone you currently have! Or is it not in that setting anymore? Or are you wanting to upgrade the side stones? I also just bought two 4.0 or 4.5mm diamonds to add to this ring to make it a 5 stone, but due to hard financial times it's being postponed.]

No, you don't have chubby fingers - at all! You have long fingers which are proportional to your lovely hands.

Oh, the MEGA 3-stone ring, lol?! I've had that taken apart, it was too wide for my finger.

The thing is, I have a lone 1.7ct BGD which am hoping to "upgrade" or more accurately change to another 1.7ct of a lower colour and/ or clarity, and then I'd purchase sidestones to go with that. Don't know yet which size sidestones I'd like, hence this thread. :))

I hope you get to set your 5-stone ring soon. I shall keep an eye out for your thread. Fingers crossed and PS dust for you.[/quote]

Aw, you're sweet! :halo: I'm in school for another 2ish years, so I may just wait till then to upgrade to a 2ct and turn the two loose diamonds I have into earrings and save my diamond/sapphire ering for our daughter should we ever have one. Have you gone to a jeweler just to compare sizes with your stone? That might help. Or you can do what I did, call Yuki at ID Jewelery and he'll give you his opinion and some good options if you're on a budget.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1358510728|3358573 said:
Would you be able to reuse the setting w/ such significant size differences? That's almost a mm on the center..?

I really dunno, Yssie. I might not be able to reuse the setting, though am REALLY hoping that I could. Just jotted an email to Perry and see what he/ Leon says. That setting was not cheap (about USD3k if memory serves me right) and am rather fond of it.

Or else, I might have to find another way to save money.

This project is not supposed to be high-end, all-out (not like Holly, I guess). It's supposed to enable me to make use of a lone diamond and turn it into a much missed 3-stone RHR....We shall see...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1358515565|3358594 said:
I dont have a 3 stone but I hope this helps. I prefer about a 70%
Im on the 62% end. I like my side stones to look almost accenty, if that make sense. MGR might have the perfect ratio, I think.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to laugh - I can count on one hand the number of people who wouldn't consider a three-stone w/ a 1.7 center in an LM setting "high end and all out" :bigsmile:

I do hope they can rework the setting for you! I prefer smaller sides proportionally but it really depends on the look you're going for - I think there's just no way a 1.7 can possibly *pop* IRL when that you're wearing a 5ct on the other hand, regardless of sidestone size, so if you want the bling then I say go for the 6mms ::)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CrazyBirdLady|1358510179|3358569 said:
Wow Phoenix it sounds like we are doing the exact same project. I love those proportions (.80 1.70 .80) and think they give great finger coverage. Have a look at the two links below and see what you think. They are the exact sizes you are wanting and both were made by BGD

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-upgrade-arrived-photos.141276/?hilit=bgd']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-upgrade-arrived-photos.141276/?hilit=bgd[/URL] arrived

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-dream-20th-anniversary-ring-by-brian-gavin.127692/?hilit=brian']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-dream-20th-anniversary-ring-by-brian-gavin.127692/?hilit=brian[/URL] anniversary

OMG OMG, thank you soooooo much for linking me to these threads, esp Cemrn's. I think that is THE ONE!! The proportions, the setting, everything about that ring is PERFECTION!! :appl:

I am thinking that I could go to I Si1 to stay at or only very slightly above budget and still end up with an AMAZING 3-stone ring!! :love:

I can't wait to learn more about yours. What stage are you at? I'd love to know more....

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1358519946|3358640 said:
I had to laugh - I can count on one hand the number of people who wouldn't consider a three-stone w/ a 1.7 center in an LM setting "high end and all out" :bigsmile:

I do hope they can rework the setting for you! I prefer smaller sides proportionally but it really depends on the look you're going for - I think there's just no way a 1.7 can possibly *pop* IRL when that you're wearing a 5ct on the other hand, regardless of sidestone size, so if you want the bling then I say go for the 6mms ::)

LOL, don't shoot me please [Phoenix ducks for cover! :wink2: ]. You know what I mean, it's all relative, no?! :razz:

I hope they can too. But now seeing Cemrn's thread, I wouldn't mind going for the Truth setting (and I remember Mom2boys has that too) if it can't be saved. My preference is to reuse the LM setting though, just to save money. Otherwise, I could go down on colour and / or clarity on the stones and apportion some of the budget towards that new setting.

It looks more and more like 85pt each, or thereabout, is the way to go.

Thanks, Yssie.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I've forgotten to mention one very important fact, he he... :wink2:

I am going for 3 "blues", preferably with SBF. I LURVE that blueish/ purpleish tinge!! :love: :love: :love:

And that these come with a discount is an added bonus, indeed. :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello my diamond friend!!! :wavey:

You will not believe what I am going to say :bigsmile: , but I think a 1.7 ct stone is simply too small for a center stone for you!!! And I can't imagine it working in the existing setting. Others have already said this, but I agree that this ring wouldn't be balanced with Holly. I think you need a minimum of 2 cts. The problem last time, in my opinion was that you couldn't handle the 1.5 ct. sides. A 2 ct center and .80's would work. But I could almost wear the 1.7 with .80 sides, so I know that is just not going to make you happy!!! (That formula of 2 to 1 for weight just doesn't work. The percentages in the 3 stone ring chart are more accurate because it deals with diameter.)

Farley'sMom's ring looks about the right size, in my opinion. 8- 8.3mm center and 6 mm sides.

(What are specs on the 1.7 stone?)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1358526327|3358729 said:

You will not believe what I am going to say :bigsmile: , but I think a 1.7 ct stone is simply too small for a center stone for you!!! And I can't imagine it working in the existing setting. Others have already said this, but I agree that this ring wouldn't be balanced with Holly. I think you need a minimum of 2 cts. The problem last time, in my opinion was that you couldn't handle the 1.5 ct. sides. A 2 ct center and .80's would work. But I could almost wear the 1.7 with .80 sides, so I know that is just not going to make you happy!!! (That formula of 2 to 1 for weight just doesn't work. The percentages in the 3 stone ring chart are more accurate because it deals with diameter.)

Farley'sMom's ring looks about the right size, in my opinion. 8- 8.3mm center and 6 mm sides.

This is exactly what I thought as soon as I read your post Phoenix! I think a 7.7 stone is going to seem small to you, now that your eye is used to seeing larger stones on your finger. I agree with DS that I think the issue is the sidestones. I think a larger center stone with 6mm sides would look great and would give you the look you love.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem last time, in my opinion was that you couldn't handle the 1.5 ct. sides. ditto! A 2 ct center and .80's would work. ::LIKE:: But I could almost wear the 1.7 with .80 sides, so I know that is just not going to make you happy!!! ditto! (That formula of 2 to 1 for weight just doesn't work. The percentages in the 3 stone ring chart are more accurate because it deals with diameter.)ditto...

:bigsmile:

Love the idea of three SBFs!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
junebug17 said:

This is exactly what I thought as soon as I read your post Phoenix! I think a 7.7 stone is going to seem small to you, now that your eye is used to seeing larger stones on your finger. I agree with DS that I think the issue is the sidestones. I think a larger center stone with 6mm sides would look great and would give you the look you love.
+3!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in agreement w/ the others in that DSS will set in for you soon enough and you would be resetting this 3 stone again if you used the smaller center diamond! Actually, I think you should use the 2.6ct BGD H SI-2 instead as the center stone and get smaller H side stones from BGD to use as the side stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2boys|1358532924|3358797 said:
I'm in agreement w/ the others in that DSS will set in for you soon enough and you would be resetting this 3 stone again if you used the smaller center diamond! Actually, I think you should use the 2.6ct BGD H SI-2 instead as the center stone and get smaller H side stones from BGD to use as the side stones.

+1

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1358533764|3358810 said:
mom2boys|1358532924|3358797 said:

+1

+2...my three stone has a 7.5mm center stone with 5mm sides (all bezeled of course) and I honestly can't see you being happy with an overall ring of this size. I'd use one of the larger stones you have and get .85 side stones. I also think that a large part of what makes a 3 stone ring "work" or not is how the stones are set....you can have the center stone set slightly higher than the sides and that gives you more finger space if you kwim, or you can have them set at the same height, which means that they have to fit across your finger. I think that may be why you found the other ring uncomfortable? It sounds like you have lots of choices, which is almost harder than having fewer choices. Good luck! I know that whatever you end up with will be divine!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results