shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling DreamerD

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this while searching. This would be a totally different project. What do you think about this just from what you can see? I won't give details at the moment.

OEC.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not DD but I think the setting is lovely. But what are those 2 metal things at the bottome of the head? They sort of stand
out differently from the rest of the setting but I cant tell what they are.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Not DD either, but that setting is beautiful.

I am looking for something similar to put my mom's diamond from 1948 back into.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you asking about the diamond? If so, a face up shot would be essential.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
bumping for DD-

any more pics?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recognize that one, it has been for sale for a while. The price is very good and I think the faceting is nice, but it is really tough to judge anything else form the photos. It looks like the stone could be included despite the seller's claims, and it might also suffer from the black hole under the table. The OEC ebay maven's who I know off PS seem to think this one is a pass. But who knows really? If you offer, make it contingent on a 14 day inspection period IMO to give time for a good appraisal by a trusted independent. I would also write in the offer "Offer contingent on independent verification of at least X clarity and Y color" (X and Y being perhaps one grade lower than the lower range given by the seller) so that in the event you buy it and like the faceting, but the color and clarity clarity are lower than expected, you can perhaps negotiate a price adjustment.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1327266807|3109014 said:
I recognize that one, it has been for sale for a while. The price is very good and I think the faceting is nice, but it is really tough to judge anything else form the photos. It looks like the stone could be included despite the seller's claims, and it might also suffer from the black hole under the table. The OEC ebay maven's who I know off PS seem to think this one is a pass. But who knows really? If you offer, make it contingent on a 14 day inspection period IMO to give time for a good appraisal by a trusted independent. I would also write in the offer "Offer contingent on independent verification of at least X clarity and Y color" (X and Y being perhaps one grade lower than the lower range given by the seller) so that in the event you buy it and like the faceting, but the color and clarity clarity are lower than expected, you can perhaps negotiate a price adjustment.

Thanks DD. I agree that the photos look like it COULD be a nice stone but really is hard to tell from them. Price is really fair if it were to be a good one!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1327270326|3109054 said:

Thanks DD. I agree that the photos look like it COULD be a nice stone but really is hard to tell from them. Price is really fair if it were to be a good one!

The price being what it is sort of makes me a little wary, because the stone is not hard to locate on ebay, it is not a small independent seller or a strange description. So many others have passed it by. Maybe that is their loss. But proceed with all appropriate caution!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1327285825|3109239 said:
bright ice|1327270326|3109054 said:

The price being what it is sort of makes me a little wary, because the stone is not hard to locate on ebay, it is not a small independent seller or a strange description. So many others have passed it by. Maybe that is their loss. But proceed with all appropriate caution!

I am going to pass on it. Thanks!

Back on track now to locate 3 OECs. I really am thinking that I want them all fairly close in size. I took a closer look back at Coati's and it appears that they are all close to the same size. I don't want the common larger center stone with smaller sides 3-stone look.

So should I look for about .70-.80 size stones? Do you think that will be too large?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think this is a good time to cut out paper circles and tape them on your finger ;-)

I think coatis is two .45cts and one .60ct...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know that one too. Looks like the ring was purchased for $5898 on Nov 27th. The seller must have returned it, which makes me think it was not up to par, since s/he got it for a good price.

Check the seller's feedback...it is listed there.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1327306261|3109411 said:
I know that one too. Looks like the ring was purchased for $5898 on Nov 27th. The seller must have returned it, which makes me think it was not up to par, since s/he got it for a good price.

Check the seller's feedback...it is listed there.

Good sleuthing TGal! I didn't know about that trick (taking notes :read: )

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are very keen. Glad you posted this!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I have seen this for sale and thought the price was good. The stone has dingy haziness that is caused by a reflection of the rough girdle. My own stone started out with the same issue and it was a pretty easy fix ($150-350/ct for repolish/recut depending the extent of the overhaul). I think it's a good buy if purchased with these intentions.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kiley|1327323823|3109471 said:
It was bought by a PS'er who returned it. It is a very dark stone. The original purchaser posted additional photos in this thread before deciding to return it.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-bought-off-of-ebay.168331/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-bought-off-of-ebay.168331/[/URL]

wow, that is awesome Kiley and Tgal!!! saves from buying and returning bright ice
oh that would be interesting to find out if it can be recut Kelpie?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if this one is a good candidate for a recut?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1327328558|3109496 said:
I have seen this for sale and thought the price was good. The stone has dingy haziness that is caused by a reflection of the rough girdle. My own stone started out with the same issue and it was a pretty easy fix ($150-350/ct for repolish/recut depending the extent of the overhaul). I think it's a good buy if purchased with these intentions.

Kelpie, I might be CRAZY but I am going to buy this if he gives me a 14 day inspection period with a no restriction return. Do you think it will improve with SS or BG's magic?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1327344168|3109718 said:

Kelpie, I might be CRAZY but I am going to buy this if he gives me a 14 day inspection period with a no restriction return. Do you think it will improve with SS or BG's magic?

If you're going to do it, I'd do it quick. We already know the vendor is good about taking returns, we've seen the stone in other pics, and we know that he took a price of under 6K before. I can't imagine that you're the only one looking at it. ;))

That being said, personally, I find the charm of these older stones lies in the fact that they were cut long ago and I wouldn't want to touch that, so I'd search for a stone I liked and could leave be. Still, if you can get this at a good price, and the recut doesn't cost much and take a lot off the weight of the stone, it'd be nothing to sneeze at !

Glad the sleuthing helped!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1327344530|3109723 said:

If you're going to do it, I'd do it quick. We already know the vendor is good about taking returns, we've seen the stone in other pics, and we know that he took a price of under 6K before. I can't imagine that you're the only one looking at it. ;))

That being said, personally, I find the charm of these older stones lies in the fact that they were cut long ago and I wouldn't want to touch that, so I'd search for a stone I liked and could leave be. Still, if you can get this at a good price, and the recut doesn't cost much and take a lot off the weight of the stone, it'd be nothing to sneeze at !

I am buying it, offered 6K and he took it. I am just waiting back to hear if he will give a 14 day inspection period :bigsmile:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270865905674?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1327344769|3109729 said:
TravelingGal|1327344530|3109723 said:

I am buying it, offered 6K and he took it. I am just waiting back to hear if he will give a 14 day inspection period :bigsmile:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270865905674?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Awesome, take lots of pics and let us know what the recut experts say!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sure will TG. I hope it turns out well.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great! I would send it right to Ari at singlestone, we have heard nothing but good things. There is another PSer who had a polish similar to kelpie's done on his huge OEC by singlestone, I think his name was nkprana... something like that. Ask
him about any table darkness too, some of the PSers photos make the center looks really dark. But I think this is a good risk!

Kiley

Rough_Rock
I am interested to see in how this turns out as well... it is something I had considered for a while, but decided I did not want to put in the effort. I hope it works out great!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1327329901|3109507 said:
Kiley|1327323823|3109471 said:
It was bought by a PS'er who returned it. It is a very dark stone. The original purchaser posted additional photos in this thread before deciding to return it.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-bought-off-of-ebay.168331/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-bought-off-of-ebay.168331/[/URL]

wow, that is awesome Kiley and Tgal!!! saves from buying and returning bright ice

I'll say! Unreal sleuthing!!! BTW, where is Jimmy Hoffa?

cheers--Sharon

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The PSer who bought this and returned it did report in her thread that it was verified as a VVS clarity and K color so that sounds good. Don't know if that was by a certified appraiser though.

I will send it to Ari for him to evaluate for me. I can trust what he tells me. Even if I end up having some work done on it, I should be OK cost wise in it.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1327349903|3109820 said:
The PSer who bought this and returned it did report in her thread that it was verified as a VVS clarity and K color so that sounds good. Don't know if that was by a certified appraiser though.

I will send it to Ari for him to evaluate for me. I can trust what he tells me. Even if I end up having some work done on it, I should be OK cost wise in it.

yeah, cost wise that is a great deal if he can recut it without a problem! Can't wait to hear what Ari tells you :))

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats..!! I was looking at that stone as well last week, but ended up going a different route instead.

Fingers crossed for you! It looks like it could be promising. Can't wait to see pics.

TG...love that feedback tip, I do that all the time--esp on big ticket items because I like to see what was represented and if the buyer agreed/gave good feedback.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara|1327352629|3109839 said:
Congrats..!! I was looking at that stone as well last week, but ended up going a different route instead.

Fingers crossed for you! It looks like it could be promising. Can't wait to see pics.

TG...love that feedback tip, I do that all the time--esp on big ticket items because I like to see what was represented and if the buyer agreed/gave good feedback.

I would be interested to know why you passed on it Mara. What did you get?

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Very interested to see how this turns out! Please keep us updated.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results