shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Dreamer, Charmypoo,Fortekitty and other OEC experts

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I am about the pull the trigger on my first transitional cut OEC. Ive put it on hold and I would love your thoughts on it! Thanks!

Carat Weight - 1.47
Color- GIA J
Clarity- VS2
Depth- 64.2
Table- 46
Culet- slightly large
Girdle- extremely thin to thin
Polish- good
Symmetry-good
Clarity characteristics
Crystal, feather, indented natural, natural

_13969.jpg

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Re: Calling Dreamer !

Okay a little info would be great

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Re: Calling Dreamer, Charmypoo,Fortekitty and other OEC expe

I loved that diamond as soon as I saw it. It was my favorite in the sneak peak.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks really nice to me!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

Great! I can't wait to receive it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks very pretty! If it is being set in a bezel, that's good because of the girdle. But if not, I'd have girdle rehab done to get rid of the extremely thin part.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock

I think it looks gorgeous. I can't wait for you to get it and post pics!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

I didn't realize the extremely thin to thin girdle would be a durability issue with OECs! I don't have the budget to have it recut :(

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can see the GIA report, it just looks like a bigger table than 46%. Maybe an illusion.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

JulieN|1390451745|3599231 said:
I can see the GIA report, it just looks like a bigger table than 46%. Maybe an illusion.

I was thinking it had a large table when I saw the photos and was surprised to see 46%. I still think the diamond is gorgeous.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Hospatogi|1390451115|3599228 said:
I didn't realize the extremely thin to thin girdle would be a durability issue with OECs! I don't have the budget to have it recut :(

It really depends how you plan on setting it. I think as a solitare it might be an issue, but if you bezel or halo it then it will be fine. Also that is why you have insurance. If you love it the thin girdle wouldn't stop me from buying it. But once again I would then set it to protect it.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The girdle could be an issue but if you are willing to set it in a bezel or a protective 8 prong setting, then it should not be an issue. Have you seen Arkieb's ring? Her stone has a very thin girdle but it is set in 8 prongs and shouldn't be an issue.

I saw your stone in the sneak peek as well. Like!!!

_14003.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JulieN|1390451745|3599231 said:

I thought the exact same thing. I have never seen a 46 table photograph so big. I think mine is around 45-46 and it looks totally different.

Regarding the girdle, it wouldn't cost much even if you did need to do it. I had a total recut done for $350 and all you would be doing would be polishing the girdle a bit. However, as everyone has said, just set it so the girdle is protected.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I think it's a beautiful transitional. But I would ask Erica or Grace to double-check the measurements ... I agree that that doesn't look like a 46% table.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

I really like the faceting...nice find.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

Table % might be true, but crown doesn't seem very steep. Maybe it causes illusion...

Here is 1.47 and last one is my 1.35 with 44% table with steeper crown

_14004.jpg

_14005.jpg

_14006.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I'd have to agree with the others on the table. It seems closer to 50% maybe? Is it definitely the right GIA cert for that diamond, no mix up?

The stone does look lovely, 46% or no!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Confection10|1390493001|3599480 said:
Table % might be true, but crown doesn't seem very steep. Maybe it causes illusion...

Here is 1.47 and last one is my 1.35 with 44% table with steeper crown

Is this the stone she is looking at?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I think the first two are from the JBEG SmugMug account.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Circe|1390517120|3599742 said:

Okay, I had only looked at the first set of pics and maybe didn't see those. I just can't believe that is a 46 table. :confused: I looks more like the 58 table on my old rb.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006 said:
Circe|1390517120|3599742 said:

Okay, I had only looked at the first set of pics and maybe didn't see those. I just can't believe that is a 46 table. :confused: I looks more like the 58 table on my old rb.

Yeah, if I had to guess I'd be in the 60s ... If it's an optical illusion, I would have no idea how to recreate it! But that's not unusual for a transitional, many of which also have those lovely chunky arrows, so it seems feasible as an analysis of the stone, just puzzling when compared to the cert. I remember my GIA instructor telling us a story about someone (hopefully a former student, not a grader!) who transposed two digits. Maybe ...?

ETA: I just want to emphasize that I think it's a gorgeous stone with a lovely cut! Speculation about possible bureaucratic error should not be taken as equating to anything other than approval and excitement for you ... In fact, I'm quite looking forward to seeing many pics when you receive it. I hope it's not causing concern ... Whatever the #s, that is a PRETTY stone.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

I don't love the proportions and the table looks large to me as well-55% is what I would guess. I have a 48%ish and it doesn't look that big.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

I had Grace double check and the table percentage is correct. Actually I have seen the stone in person briefly and for some reason the crown is just not very steep so the table appears large.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

My photos isn't as clear as they are in JbEG's site. It might be worth to look them at biggest, original, size and there it doesn't seem that big (~55%?) at all...i just added photo of my stone, because it shows how appearance will change with steeper crown :wavey:.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

Hospatogi|1390534391|3599990 said:
I had Grace double check and the table percentage is correct. Actually I have seen the stone in person briefly and for some reason the crown is just not very steep so the table appears large.

Interesting! The patterning is otherwise lovely.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Confection10|1390535723|3600009 said:
My photos isn't as clear as they are in JbEG's site. It might be worth to look them at biggest, original, size and there it doesn't seem that big (~55%?) at all...i just added photo of my stone, because it shows how appearance will change with steeper crown :wavey:.

I did look at the full size images on their site, but it still looked big to me. If it's an optical illusion that is quite fascinating!

I second Hera, the patterning is lovely on the stone.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Also to remember, transition cuts are suppose to have larger tables (at least per definition in things I have read).

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

Now when I had time to look those videos too, I admit there is something strange. The whole diamond appears to be too shallow to be nearly 65%... :o and table shows very clearly and seems to be on larger side :o . Is it possible that JbEG's 1.5ct K color is closer to this GIA raport... :confused: ???

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hospatogi said:

But, optically, shouldn't this go in the opposite direction? I can see how a small table on a steep crown might look bigger in pictures, sort of the way a stone set high in a ring can look bigger than a stone set very low to the finger - the visual perspective gets skewed in a two dimensional medium. But a small table in a shallow crown would look, if anything, smaller, compared to the larger diameter of the stone itself ... wouldn't it? I am not the best with spatial imagining - please, please post pics when you get your hands on it to illustrate!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have to think it may be the wrong report. I can't wait to see more pictures of this stone. Take some profile shots with the stone slightly tilted so we can see the table reflection, if you can, Hospatogi.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results