shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling DF - is Rolex or PP a better buy?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Just either saw or read about PP. One reason they hold their value is that the company makes far less of them than Rolex. Rolex makes about 100,000 per yr. The number of PP is substantially lower and I think they are handmade. I was very impressed with PP lineage and I suggest you check the facts I have stated. For me it would be no contest. PP Good luck.

Annette
More like 1 million per yr.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
* * * I have indeed tried on the 40mm Day-Date President. The pic above in my first post shows my friend's watch on my wrist. It is a little big and I find that 39mm fits me just right, but that size is only available in Pearlmaster and I really want a Day-Date.* * *
If you're comfortable with purchasing a pre-owned Day-Date, seems that for about the current WG price, you could snag an all platinum one (case & Masterpiece bracelet) from earlier years with a case ranging from 36mm to 39mm. E.g., 39mm one -- with box and papers -- listed at $49,550:
https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/day-...-diamond-bezel--dial-ref-18946--id8500584.htm

37mm case with box and papers, listed at $49,950
https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/masterpiece-18946--id4433697.htm

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the only watch that I regret not buying in 2001??? :confused: for $38K. Today this pre-owned watch would easily fetch over $100K.
Simplicity2_L.jpg

simplicity-back2-small.jpg

The way it works when a customer puts in an order with Dufour (a one man show) 1/3 of the money down,plus a 6 yr waiting period. :o every watch is put together by the man himself. He is an independent watchmaker who produces very few watches per yr. (about 25 pieces) in his little shop. Very few people have ever heard of Dufour.

That's crazy!! the deposit is fine, but the 6 yr wait??!:o

I must admit I've heard heard of him before. His watches are obviously collectors' items then.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the one with the diamond bezel; so a watch just like my friend's but instead of Pt, it'd be in WG.

So, this one:
https://www.rolex.com/watches/day-date/m228349rbr-0002.html

Only thing is I am still wondering if the 40mm is a tad too big for me. My friend came round to dinner last night and I kept looking at her watch. She's bigger than I am and normally wears a size 18 Cartier Love (vs my 16). I think her tennis bracelet is 7.5" (vs my 6 or 6 1/4 "). So I looked at her watch on her wrist last night and thinking it'd be big for my tiny wrists.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Just either saw or read about PP. One reason they hold their value is that the company makes far less of them than Rolex. Rolex makes about 100,000 per yr. The number of PP is substantially lower and I think they are handmade. I was very impressed with PP lineage and I suggest you check the facts I have stated. For me it would be no contest. PP Good luck.

Annette

Annette, this is very helpful information. I'll read up more.

If money were no object, I'd buy both. Lol

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! The SA just came back. It appears that Rolex does not offer a black dial with the Pearlmaster 39. Even a silver dial (my second choice) is only available in the 34mm version.

Hmmm...possibly back to square 1.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're comfortable with purchasing a pre-owned Day-Date, seems that for about the current WG price, you could snag an all platinum one (case & Masterpiece bracelet) from earlier years with a case ranging from 36mm to 39mm. E.g., 39mm one -- with box and papers -- listed at $49,550:
https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/day-...-diamond-bezel--dial-ref-18946--id8500584.htm

37mm case with box and papers, listed at $49,950
https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/masterpiece-18946--id4433697.htm

I'm not averse to buying secondhand, but have never bought from Chrono24 before, not sure how that works.

The 39mm Day Date listed confuses me a little. I thought the Day Date was not available in 39mm, only 40mm. Also, looking closely at the details of the watch in the listing, they seem to be different from what I've seen IRL and also on the Rolex site. Is it bc it's an older model, perchance?

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not averse to buying secondhand, but have never bought from Chrono24 before, not sure how that works.

The 39mm Day Date listed confuses me a little. I thought the Day Date was not available in 39mm, only 40mm. Also, looking closely at the details of the watch in the listing, they seem to be different from what I've seen IRL and also on the Rolex site. Is it bc it's an older model, perchance?
Yes, all the newer models have 6 digits.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are "6 digits"? Or rather, where?
i.e. The model # of my (1991) D/D is 18238 (5 digits). The newer model YG D/D is 228238 (6 digits). This is true for all Rolex watches.

btw; My 1977 SS/DJ was a 4 digit model number.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i.e. The model # of my (1991) D/D is 18238 (5 digits). The newer model YG D/D is 228238 (6 digits). This is true for all Rolex watches.

btw; My 1977 SS/DJ was a 4 digit model number.

Ah ok. Thank you, DF.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah ok. Thank you, DF.
I kept saying newer model 6 digits, but the truth is 6 digits have had been in use probably like for the past 15 yrs.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
* * * The 39mm Day Date listed confuses me a little. I thought the Day Date was not available in 39mm, only 40mm. Also, looking closely at the details of the watch in the listing, they seem to be different from what I've seen IRL and also on the Rolex site. Is it bc it's an older model, perchance?
Yes, model 18946 is the special Masterpiece edition of the Day-Date. The Wempe sales receipt shows that particular watch was purchased in 2006. (The case diameter of the men's Day-Date, the bracelet, and the dial haven't always been exactly the same through the years since Rolex introduced it back in 1956.)

I found several all-platinum 18946 Day-Dates with a 39mm case, diamond bezel, black dial for you; you'll also see black/Tahitian mother of pearl dials like this one:
SantBlanc Rolex 18946 MOP.png

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/wat...-automatic-wristwatch-ref-18946/id-j_4647053/

https://www.truefacet.com/rolex-day...sterpiece-platinum-40-diamonds-mop-watch.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-Mens...mond-Z-Engraved-18946-SANT-BLANC/332783422005

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-Mens...ian-MOP-Diamond-18946-SANT-BLANC/372418204722

Sant Blanc, the brick-and-mortar watch shop offering the last 2 linked above, has a number of 18946's -- shown here
http://www.ebaystores.com/SANT-BLAN...mit=Search&_sasi=1&_sop=2&_sc=1&_sid=12714106
-- and unlike some pre-owned Rolex watch vendors in the US, Sant Blanc will handle international transactions. Excellent feedback during the almost 20 years they have been an eBay seller.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire, @MollyMalone, I am suffering from analysis paralysis!! I don't know which brand or model to buy. I was thinking Rolex Day Date but now am thinking a Pearlmaster. Then I am thinking maybe buy another PP bc their prices seem to have appreciated even better than Rolex.

Then, I did some more thinking. Diamonds are fun and I love wearing my bling, but they have terrible resale values. Maybe I am better off buying watches - for investment purposes, as well as for wearing/ pleasure purposes. What would you say to this and where would be the best places for me to read up on? Those forums you linked me to? Should I only look at collectible/ limited edition watches if I want them to also be investments? If so, where / how would one buy those LE? And how easy or conversely difficult would it be to navigate the secondhand watch market?

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the only watch that I regret not buying in 2001??? :confused: for $38K. Today this pre-owned watch would easily fetch over $100K.
Simplicity2_L.jpg

simplicity-back2-small.jpg

The way it works when a customer puts in an order with Dufour (a one man show) 1/3 of the money down,plus a 6 yr waiting period. :o every watch is put together by the man himself. He is an independent watchmaker who produces very few watches per yr. (about 25 pieces) in his little shop. Very few people have ever heard of Dufour.

How does one put in an order with him? and how does one sell it afterwards?

Sorry if my questions seem naive. I know next to nothing about watches.

Reactions: AV_

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This appears to be a fan site with contact information on it, but I have no idea if it's accurate or, if it is, if he will appreciate being contacted! :lol:
http://dufourwatches.free.fr/

AV_

Ideal_Rock

My Hero! (Phoenix & Dufour)

There is no queue at the door, only a waiting list. People do pass by. I am rather sorry I did not years ago.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm not sure if he is retired? :confused:. you can easily sell a Dufour on a watch forum or at a watch auction.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Hero! (Phoenix & Dufour)

There is no queue at the door, only a waiting list. People do pass by. I am rather sorry I did not years ago.

I'm very intrigued by this man.

Would you buy not one of his watches now? If prices have gone up in the past, would they not also go up in the future? (I know I know, past performance is not a guarantee to future performance, but it gives us an insight:).

Reactions: AV_

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if he is retired? :confused:. you can easily sell a Dufour on a watch forum or at a watch auction.

I'll do more research on his watches, thank you, DF.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

I am not in buying mode. I do believe in the value of his watches, still...

DF mentions retirement & I can't say I know for sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results